ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Hare scramble info needed

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hare scramble info needed

I m wanting to ride hs in spring, I'm currently lookin for quad, 400ex because of cost and I'm 45 yrs old (lookin for exercise not trophies) I've raced pro mx yrs ago so I'm no stranger to dangers etc, but never rode hs or quads. The questions I have can not be searched out(I've tried) so here they are
1) what is the slower class, +30 A/B or quad C? Those are my choices.
I would rather closer to my age but understand they're gonna be better riders

2)my goal is to finish only and not to look like a dummy, with mx ability and being new to quads how difficult of a task is this for an out of shape 45yr old? I'm 35-40lbs over my pro mx weight 25yrs ago. 5'9" 190-195lbs now.

3) being that this is all for fun/exercise I think a 03-04 400ex would be fine, I believe a 450 would get me in trouble fast!!!! That being said is that too old of a quad for scrambles and trails? I'm also not wanting to spend a lot.

Thank you for helping! Bart

Old 10-18-2015, 05:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Bart. Hs is extremely taxing, but it is mind over matter and a little mechanical luck to finish. For what you describe, the 400ex will work fine. You will lose time in the open, but skill will be the determining factor in the woods. Most series have a senior (40plus) and even super senior (50plus) classes. Generally a will be fastest, then b and c for lap times. You may find a sportsman class for those just riding that day, not intending to do the whole series or what not.

Regardless of which quad you end up with, spend some time getting it right mechanically. You will need a tether kill, and nerf bars plus hand guards are a huge bonus. If you do get crazy, suspension upgrades will make you faster before motor. Also, just remember it is a looonnggg time in the saddle. Don't go all out at the start.