ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Racing Cdi problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 08:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racing Cdi problem

Hi, New to these forums and stuff but really stumped on this one. I have a 2001 honda recon 250 that has a few modifications to give it alil more power. To further that, I recently bought one of those racing cdi's off eBay to diminish the rev limiter, but when I plug it in, the bike just turns over but won't start, as soon as i plug the old cdi back in it fires right up, not sure what I'm missing? Can someone please help.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of the time the aftermarket ones can be counterfeit cheap knockoffs. It could just be doa. It is a recon, realistically you aren't gaining anything with it anyway.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the problem, the recon has a 6 pin cdi and the 2 pin side has a red and a black wire, black wire is kill switch, red wire is ignition fire, they were backwards so i broke the wires free swaped um and re-solderd them pluged it in and bike started right up. Just a dumb chinse malfunction. And i figured the cdi wouldn't do much but it did take away my rev limiter which was my goal so all is well. Thank you for your time and response!

Old 05-21-2017, 07:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your welcome. Glad you got it up and running!