ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

MX Track Design

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2002 | 08:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

Does anyone have or know where to get information on how to design and build a MX track? Thanks.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-01-2002 | 11:54 PM
WP
Pro Rider

It is an art that is obtained with experience. Get a tractor and start practicing.

Old 09-02-2002 | 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

To me the best thing to do is to visit/race other tracks and steal ideas you like. If that is not an option first off lay out what might make a good track as far as straightaways and corners. If the land allows I like to have natural elevation changes uphills and downhills to give it that old school mx feel. After, you have a good initial design, I would ride the track with now jumps other than the natural obstacles and see how it feels/works. If you think you have a good layout then start building jumps to help break up the track and add to the challenge. Tabletops are safer jumps, but more time consuming to build because of the large amount of dirt. Just to help break it down for you here are some basic things to consider:

1. Track width, in fast sections it should be wider ideally as much as 50', but hopefully at least 30', in slower sections you could tighten up but at least allow for a couple of lines so say at least 15'

2. How big is the track going to be how much land do you have to use? The track near my house is around 1.5 miles and it is a monster. At a guess most other tracks in my area are more around .75 of a mile.

3. What style of track more technical(lots of manmade jumps) or more natural and fast( wide open using the lay of the land).

4. How big of a jump are you ready to jump now? Most tracks have at least one jump that is extremely challenging i.e. 105' triple, 80' short approach tabletop, and of course the infamous Larocco's Leap in Red Bud, Michigan which has to be the single most unreal obstacle I have ever seen!

Oh, Sorry, this is so long, but I hope it helped. I found the thread interesting. I am hoping to buy a piece of land sometime this winter to start working on. I already have a 1/2 acre practice area which is just a bunch of different jumps, but I really want a track to ride on and work on.

Old 09-04-2002 | 06:23 PM
|
Pro Rider

Check this out: http://www.racingsmarter.com/buildin...tice_track.htm

It's geared for MX bikes but could be adapted.

Old 09-04-2002 | 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

That is a very good website all in all. I bookmarked it thanks for sharing the info.