ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

building a racer!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building a racer!!!

I am looking to get into racing this comming spring but dont know what to get.
I am leaning toward building my own from parts. id like to stay in the 4 stroke class 400-450cc i was wondering about making my own z400 from a drz400 dirt bike and a honda 250r frame would this work and if not can u give me any tips are parts that would be good to have.

i want to race mx but i hear that it is pricey lots of shock rebuilds and stuff. im also thinking about woods and cross country.

dose anyone know where most gncc races take place?

ty for the help

Old 12-04-2002, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the link to the GNCC website on next years schedule GNCC
As for MX vs. XC I would go with the one your more comfortable riding. Both are expensive and 2 different types.
As for set-up I would buy a new or use quad and add shocks, pipe, steering damper, tires, and so one. Custom biulding a machine from ground up is going to be more expensive than buy a factory machine and building up your way. Go out to both types of races and see what people or doing to trick out they machine. Aske them questions most people will be more than happy to share any and all info with you.
I feel the top machines for racing are:
Cannondale (any model)
GasGas 300 or 450
Z400/KFX400
400ex
250r

Which model will be the best for you depends on how much money you what to spend up front and which company you like. All are good machines and these are the only ones just the ones your going to see more of.

Old 12-07-2002, 01:05 PM
Range Rover

how do you have a gas gas already??

oin this months atv sport they said they were riding the proto type when the wheel came off.. =\ have you hjad any problems yet?

how much is the gas gas and where can i get 1

Old 12-07-2002, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

I paid 8k OTD for mine. My dealer has another one in. Dover Race Ready cycles in Dover, Ohio. Remember the Mags are a couple months behind. I talked to Dirts Wheels a week after I got mine and they said they have a review the March issue. I got mine early to the the fact I been bugging the Importer in florida for 2 years, and talking to the dealer for 6 months. He ordered 2 of them before any one else could. I got mine Nov. 11. the Dealer is planning having a 450 efi 4-stroke in a couple weeks. I guess it's who you know and how much you bug them.

No problems other than it being 50" wide. It's at Gt Thunder now getting 47" wide a-arms put on it so I can race it at local and GNCC's this coming season. The machine is fast and very smooth on the power side. I'll have a dnyo sheet when I get it back for GT Thunder in a week or so. I'll be posting that info all with comparisions to the Cannondale in the Cannondale Forum.

If interested in purchasing one from my Dealer here is their number 330-602-9219 and tell them Mike Trapp (me) told you about them. Don & Ann are real nice people and don't forget to tell them you are going to be racing it they'll give you a better deal since the quad is retailed at 7695 + tax, title, shipping, & etc. I also got them to throw in the LTR valve cover and jet kit in my price plus a % off on parts. If they are too far away check out GasGas Dealer List for a dealer closer to you (some of these dealers don't sell the dirt bike or Quads so you need to call them and make sure). If you can't find a dealer near you that sells them call the importer (they may have one that is not listed) 1-877-942-7427.

Old 12-09-2002, 12:09 PM
Range Rover

how fast is your gasgas??

do u think that atv's will ever be street leagle in the US??

Old 12-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

I'm guessing 80-85mph for a top speed. I've read 2 different articles on different cannondales in Arizona that were street legal and they drove them on the road. What i would do if your interested in doing this is check to see if your state has any rules on this. I've heard that in Ohio you have to have a seat belt, turn signals, horn, brake light and some other misc. stuff, but it is legal if you do all that. This are rumors I've heard for Ohio I've never checked into it do to the fact its not something I would do personally.