ATV Racing Discussions on ATV racing.

Virginia Beach Race Report

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2000, 12:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My race went good. Rained all day Saturday. Track was built right on the beach between the boardwalk and the ocean. I signed up for the 250A (Expert) class. In my first moto I pulled 3rd out of the gate, stayed right on second place guy the whole race. 1 2 and 3 were tight the whole way. Couldn't make a move due to a bad tire decision, should have ran the 20" tall tires, not the 18". Bike not running well after crossing finish line, 4 blocks away at trailer, lost the motor. Cleaned me and the bike up, went out for seafood supper. Another bad choice, it sucked. Went back out to trailer at about 8:00 that evening, fired the generator up and started TCB. Pulled blown engine out of race bike, pulled good motor out of spare bike. Tore top end of spare motor and replaced wrist pin. Installed spare motor in race bike and test fired. Done at 10:50.

Sunday was better, not raining. Checked out of hotel and went out for breakfast, it was real good. Got back at trailer about 10:30 am. Connie took kids for a ride and I replaced sticking throttle cable on my race bike. Went to riders meeting at 11:15. Watched first 3 races of the day, studied the lines and after watching other riders struggle with the regular 18" tires, decided to go back and put my 20"ers on. Also decided to drop to a 12 tooth sprocket in the front to make up for the extra tire height. Test fired again to check throttle cable, seemed to be running rich so I dropped the main jet size from a 165 to a 160. It helped. 3:30 made my way to staging. Once I picked my spot on the gate, I did my little bit of gardening to prepare the launching site. I took extra special care in preparation because my now stock motor would need all the help it could get to have a good holeshot. I decided to stick with a 3rd gear start (unheard of to most riders). It worked as I went to 4th out of the gate with a little feathering of the clutch. Traded places with 3rd place once before making it stick. Couldn't find a good line through the whoops until the last 2 laps. Passed for second in the whoops and ran down 1st place rider on last lap, the announcer was going nuts! Connie and Angela were screaming their guts out! I was right on the 1st place riders grab bar as we crossed the finish line jump. If I would have been able to get buy the second guy sooner I would have won the second moto. I was screaming at him in all the turns as I was on him, that really psychs them out and gets my adrenaline pumping. It felt awesome to kick tail again!

After the race we celebrated in the pits as I packed up the trailer. Got it all hooked up and went to get my trophy, a nice second place plaque. Took a dip in the hotels heated pull, changed and then hit the road. Stopped once for gas then again in Fredericksburg only to eat and let the kids stretch their legs. Got home about 10:15 or so.

It was a blast. Now I'll start all over again in getting ready for the next race. Saturday night at 11:00 I was asking myself "Is it really worth all this?", I found the answer Sunday as I crossed the finish line.......OH HELL YES!!!!!

Old 04-19-2000, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you had an awsome time down there. Wish I could have been down there to see it first hand. Once you get racing in your blood, its hard to get it out

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Old 04-20-2000, 04:40 PM
Range Rover

That was a neat account of your race experience. I love everything about racing including the dirt, sights, sounds, smells, etc.. and I enjoyed reading the details of your race. I agree that sometimes when you have a career, family and a house to take care of you wonder if it is worth spending the time wrenching on the quad. But that feeling always fades as soon as I feel the adrenalin rush and exitement during my next ride or race (and it sure beats golf!).

Troy

Old 04-21-2000, 08:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks! I new some of you would enjoy reading about it. Both of you are right, racing never leaves your blood and it is hard with a family. In the end its all worth it. I am planning on going to the Muddy Creek national so maybe I will post another thread about that one too. Have fun!