ATV Videos Post and view entertaining videos running the gammut from spectacular crashes to crazy stunts to everything else involving a quad.

2013 Raptor 700R SE climbing Choke Cherry at St Anthony in Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Raptor 700R SE climbing Choke Cherry at St Anthony in Idaho

Howdy friends,

In early June my brother-in-law and I took an awesome 3-day trip to St Anthony sand dunes in Idaho. It was such an incredible trip, and those dunes are worth any effort to get there.

I rode his 400EX and he rode his newly-acquired 2013 Raptor 700R SE. Both machines did awesome, of course.

But, this trip cemented my desire to own a Raptor. The 2013 we took on the trip is completely stock, and it was incredible. We spent lots of time in the saddle during those three days, and compared to the 400EX I can say:

1. The Raptor's throttle, clutch, and brake effort are much lighter and more comfortable for full-day rides.
2. The Raptor's suspension is far better, and the bike is less abusive to the rider when going through the rough, choppy stuff left behind by the SxS.
3. The Raptor is obviously able to hold on longer in any gear, due to much more HP and TQ. The dunes here are big enough to use every ounce of the available power.
4. The Raptor is geared taller, and has the power to back the taller gearing, so less shifting overall is required.
5. The Raptor in stock form was much quieter than the 400EX with it's slip-on exhaust. I always love the loud Pro-Circuit pipe on the 400EX for about the first 5 hours, then it starts to become bothersome and feels like it's pounding my cranium. The Raptor's quiet stock exhaust is refreshing.
6. The Raptor FEELS taller and more top-heavy than the 400EX, and that always made me feel less in control for the first 2-3 minutes on the Raptor, then I would get used to it and it was not an issue.
7. The Raptor is unstoppable in 2nd gear.

Here's a video of me climbing the steep "Choke Cherry" hill on the Raptor. If you have not been here in person, it is steep/tall enough to produce a serious adrenaline rush. Anyone who loves riding his/her Raptor ought to seriously consider a visit to St Anthony.

Old 07-09-2017, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

That's pretty steep.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, especially in person.

Old 07-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I've always noticed that a hill is much more steep in person than in the videos. Same thing with rocks. They're a lot smaller on video.