Boating Discussion on boating

Any boat guys?

Old 03-23-2016, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any boat guys?

So late last summer I closed on a second home right on Lake Skaneateles or "skinny atlas". I couldn't be happier with it. Beautiful lake, beautiful location, great Home, very friendly people (so far) and there is a ton to do in the area.

Well the ice is all melted away and I see people have started taking their boats out on the water so I figured it was time for me to do some boat shopping.

I'm looking for a 19-22ft bass boat making over 200hp for now. I'll likely be buying new but if I can find the right used one, I'd be open to it.

So, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for, what the respectable brands are, what engine option I'd be best going with and how much I should be expecting to pay? I've never had a boat so I know absolutely nothing, but I know I drool from the mouth when I see a nice shiny bass boat out on the water lol.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome to the forums, if I might suggest try " I-Boats" forums as they are an all boat forum with much more info availiable. If I might add....before you drool to badly....keep in mind that a high speed boat drives nothing like a car or truck. NO Brakes!! As a boater for more than 50 yrs, a new boater is sort of like a new teenager learning to drive. On average a new boater will damage, his or someone else's boat within the first year of ownership. Now I am referring to high speed boats not the family rowboat.. A 200+ hp bass boat is capable of 70 mph on water and let me tell you something .....hitting a wave wrong at 70 is like hitting a bridge abutment at 70 in your car. I am not trying to scare you off, but slow down....above all take a boater safety course and get someone to show you the ropes to proper boat handling....The life you save could be your own..

Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

I should clarify a little bit. Ive been on and even operated bass boats in my lifetime. My Father and Uncle each had one at one point (as well as other boats), I just never took the time to really get to know anything about them, specifically when it comes to buying one or learning about the latest and greatest advancements.

I'll be taking my dad with me this weekend to check out a few boats in the area. I've never been one to just get in something I'm unfamiliar with and go wild, or put other people's lives in jeopardy so I'll probably baby the thing for a little while but it's nice to know the power is there when you have a few miles of open water ahead of you.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

Good, glad to hear that, finally someone with some common sense, sort of rare these days. Unfortunately thru my years I have seen some awfull situations with new boaters and was just trying to throw some caution out there. Sounds like you have everything under control and a plan to do the right thing, Thanks. By the way, do try the I-boats forum, they are great people on there with a wealth of knowledge and information about anything related to boating and it is all free.

Old 04-05-2016, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned many boats thru the years ( 40 years ) and I have owned a few bass boats. It's hard for me to give you any specific info on them but, I will say this. I have owned several Yamaha outboards and IMHO, I highly recommend Yamaha for the engine source. Mine were extremely reliable. I also recommend the four stroke power...quiet, and lower fuel comsumption. Having said that, the newer ( say last 6 to 8 years or so ) two strokes are far more efficient as compared to the older two strokes. Anyway, let us know what you decide to purchase.....and whatever you purchase, check, check, and double check for wood rot...deck, pedestal areas, storage boxes, transom flex, etc.

Old 04-05-2016, 09:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

+1 on the Yamaha 4 strokes. First boat I had and sold was an old 14 ft Ouachita with a "Monkey Wards" Sea King 20 (Chrysler Marine) 2 stroke that's probably still running out there somewhere today. Same for the old Terry bass boat and the old Johnson that was built like a tank.I regret selling it.. The sons' first boat had a 150 hp Merc that we never could get right. Started like a charm on muffs,but drop it in the water and it took forever to crank up.Two Merc mechanics and one old independent mechanic couldn't figure it out either so I don't feel too bad.. Still think it was a ground problem,but couldn't trace it down. He finally got smart and got a good pontoon with a 80 hp Yamaha. Smoothest, easiest cranking and idling engine I've seen. Going on 6 years now and just routine maintenance. Not familiar with the other newer 4 strokes as far as reliability,but for us the Yamaha is a fantastic engine. And yes like mentioned a lot of good info on I-boats forum.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, I have heard nothing but good about Yamaha engines, used to have a couple merc outboards back in the day but was not impressed. Always had best luck with OMC but that was before Yamaha. Now I have moved into the I/O with a mercruiser 140 hp and so far so good, I really like the fuel economy if you can call a boat economical!!

Old 04-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Yep, I have heard nothing but good about Yamaha engines, used to have a couple merc outboards back in the day but was not impressed. Always had best luck with OMC but that was before Yamaha. Now I have moved into the I/O with a mercruiser 140 hp and so far so good, I really like the fuel economy if you can call a boat economical!!
I have my first 3.0 L 140 horse. I'm loving this little engine. It's in a 17' bow rider and has an incredible hole shot and a good top speed.....44 to 45. What boat is your 140 in and how does it perform?

Old 04-07-2016, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I have a 22' Islander with aluminum hull, 1983, engine was all original until this spring, I pulled the head and did a complete valve job, flattened the head and replaced the burned thru head gasket. Cylinder walls look perfect, has a couple drips of oil from rear and front seals but not about to pull engine for that. A couple oil diapers soak that up for what little there is.
We love the cuddy cabin for all its storage space and to keep things dry, heck no one sits down there anyways just a good place to keep stuff from underfoot and blowing away. Owned a lot of different boats in my life and this one has been my favorite. She tops out at 34mph with gps, two adults, kicker motor and a ton of fishing gear. Best fuel economy is around 3300-3400 rpm at about 23-24mph. About all you can do on the big lake without certain body parts playing jingle bells going across the waves.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:43 AM
Pro Rider

I really like the older Starcraft boats, and I would actually like to have an Islander as well, but the few I've seen in my area need a restoration, and I have been there and done that, and don't care to do it again....my energy and drive are not what they used to be....
The little 3.0 engine, for me, is very very impressive as long as it isn't placed in a very heavy boat. Sounds like your boat performs well with it...and they sure are easy on fuel. How about a pic of that Islander sometime when you have the chance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Any boat guys?