Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

new comer wanting to purchase an atv

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2000, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you must have the automatic i would suggest the kodiak. It is a must for people looking into the atv market for the first time. It is reliable and will live a very useful life. If you don't necesarely need the automatic I would get the new big bear. It has been extremely improved and is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Good Luck!

Old 05-14-2000, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

I only have two points+ too add. First of all most all the information given here to you was objective and fairly good...but do not listen to opinions given by "brand A" riders about "brand B" quads.(cartman,drlaney) Try out a few models that interest you and base your opinion about the reliability factor from owners of those particular models...if they interest you. You will quickly notice that on these forums a lot of "other brand" riders bash on Polaris a lot, without even riding or knowing first hand these machines. Ignorance is our worst enemy! 2 stroke Xplorers do not foul plugs. I have had my Xplorers for 5 years...never fouled a plug. (did not even know what that was untill I heard it here?) The Xplorer is the best priced, one of the strongest, fastest Utility quads on the market...no if, ands or buts!! Very reliable and most Xplorer riders never go to another ride...except a new Xplorer!

Lots of quads, lots of brands. The most important aspect, and this is only my opinion, is the ride. Pick the one that has the best feeling to ride and take whatever pros and cons that particular machine has. 5 years ago, if I were to have listened to that kind of advice I never would have gotten into Polaris.I loved the ride and I had tested out about 15 models!!! Since then everyone that I ride with, just about, has gotten one!

THE RIDE...THE RIDE...THE RIDE...

Old 05-15-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

uuuuummmmmm
can you point to where in my post i bashed polaris????? only thinkg i can see is the part about 2-strkes fouling plugs. thats fact, you cannot put around all day on a two stoke wiothout fouling a plug. i know this because i ride with dirt bikes and they have to run whide open all day or spend time changin plugs.
Plus i even recommended a polaris sp335 if you read my whole post. i didn't recommend my quad because it didn't fit his wants/needs.

Old 05-15-2000, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Another Point:

When you narrow your choices down, shop around!
An example is when we purchased our 2 Hondas, I hade it narrowed our choice of quads down to Kawasaki & Honda. Honda just gave me a better all around deal, & I saved $400 thus we purchased Honda.

Today all the quads have strong & weak points! Go to a local riding area & observe what people are riding & ask questions.

Good Luck, this is the hard part of owning a quad, the fun part comes when you take it home.

Old 05-15-2000, 07:21 PM
Range Rover

Definately buy a Polaris,You'll become a better mechanic.

Old 05-15-2000, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In defense to Xplor,I will also say you need not worry about fouling out a spark plug on a newer two stroke quad.I own a 00 400cc Xplorer 4x4 and it is truly a nice ,quick,nimble,awesume, 4x4.In defense of Cartman,the older 2-stroke quads/motorcycles did foul up spark plugs.Now the best price on a 4x4 quad in my area[Michigan] will be a 250cc Xplorer 4x4 for around 3900 dollars.No other manufacture can touch that price for a 4x4 quad.

Reliability on the newer [97 and up] Polaris quads is not an issue you need to worry about either,regardless of what drlaney trys telling you.I can take you through ANY Forum,they all have some problems now and than,he should'nt have singled out Polaris.Dollar for dollar,no other manufacture has all the options that Polaris has either.Your best bet is to ride as many quads as you can,we can only offer you suggestings.I truly would stay with a 4x4 though.Best of luck on your new purchase,===BILL

Old 05-15-2000, 10:10 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned 3 quads...all 2-strokes. Never had any problems with "foulin' plugs". I only heard about it here in these forums. If Polaris engineered a Utility quad with a 2-stroke engine, it was not intended or designed for everyone to pin the throttle all the time.

"Hey!!! while you mow the lawn with that Xplorer don't forget to hit the throttle...don't worry about the grass!!"

"What? your only going 10 mph with that trailor full of firewood?! Punch it or your gonna foul a plug...don't worry about the axle or the guy riding behind you!!"

I like to ride fast but when I ride with the in-laws I have no choice but to putter around for hours!

LOL

Old 05-16-2000, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

All manufacturers are getting better. If at all possible, try to get to ride what interests you in the terrain where you will be riding. What feels good to you will not necessarily feel good to someone else. Some folks hate a 3/4-ton truck's ride and some like the stiffer ride. I think you will enjoy your new quad and will be amazed at how useful they are.

Old 05-16-2000, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

i apologise for my misconception of the xplorer's....can ya forgive me?!

still don't like 2-strokes though

Old 05-16-2000, 06:28 PM
tb
Weekend Warrior

I went through the buying-an-atv game recently. You have to focus on what it is that you want--sport or utility, 4x4 or 2x4, size (cc), and cost. I found that brand wasn't a big issue; I found a dealer that I liked and they had a machine that fit my needs/wants. This forum can be helpful and, I think, trying out a variety of machines is essential as well. Look for promotional deals and do some pricing. It's not much different than looking for a new car; saleman will usually haggle and make deals. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: new comer wanting to purchase an atv