Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

It's hard to choose 700prarie or 660grizzly or 650 rincon

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700prarie or 660grizzly or 650 rincon

I'm buying a new quad and I'm tedering on a three way fence. these are the things that I'm worried about.

700 prarie : no ground clearance, but earth shadering speed

660 grizzly : very top heavy and belt slips in low water, but fast with great clearance

650 rincon : slow not very powerful tranny needs work, no belt and some clearance

also which is faster grizzly or rincon?

please help!!!!!

Old 06-29-2003, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default It's hard to choose 700prarie or 660grizzly or 650 rincon

I think you have just about stated all the facts except the Grizz doesn't slip it's belt in water unless it is fender deep. This can be fixed easily by the liberal use of silicone on the duct work. I do however notice the body sway in the corners but my shocks are set on the lightest setting. I will be adjusting them to a stiffer setting before I go on another ride.
The Prarie is a great quad as well but I was after a smooth ride as well as power. You have to love the v-twin, I don't care what brand you ride.
The Rincon well it is a nice quad and I have ridden one in the mountains before. I like the suspension but that is about all I like about on it. If Honda would have put the Rubicon transmission with low range in it, that would be the hands down winner without a doubt. Even with out the locker.
You just have to decide which one you like the best and go for it. I know I just brought my Grizz home yesterday but so far so good. Good luck

Old 06-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

You might want to check out the new Artic Cat , prairie engine,locker,and IRS. It is on artic cat web site.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-02-2003, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

Everyone allways talks about ground clearance. I have never run into a situation where the ground clearance on my prairie was an issue. I ride in mud, rock craws, love snow, and have never had a ground clearance problem. So for me, the overall speed and agility of the "utility" machine is the most important aspect of an atv. I have to have an atv that will handle the loads and abuse that I demand of it while hunting and working, but at the end of the day, it sure is nice to have some sport quad blood running through it's vains also.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think all the machines that you mentioned are great machines. I just think that the Prairie 650 is the best choise for me. Good luck on your decision.

Old 07-02-2003, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

For me the choice was the grizzly. The prairrie is a great quad as well just like previously stated you got to love the vtwin. But the ground clearance was an issue for me where we ride everyone bottoms out in the ruts except for me now. The honda is ok but not front locking differential. Id go with the Grizzly or prairrie or wait until the 650 arctic cat comes out.

Old 07-03-2003, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: trailburner
Everyone allways talks about ground clearance. I have never run into a situation where the ground clearance on my prairie was an issue. I ride in mud, rock craws, love snow, and have never had a ground clearance problem. So for me, the overall speed and agility of the "utility" machine is the most important aspect of an atv. I have to have an atv that will handle the loads and abuse that I demand of it while hunting and working, but at the end of the day, it sure is nice to have some sport quad blood running through it's vains also.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I think all the machines that you mentioned are great machines. I just think that the Prairie 650 is the best choise for me. Good luck on your decision.
You must not have been in seriously deep mud. Or maybe it wasn't a problem because you did have enough ground clearance to not get stuck. Ground clearance is the main factor when getting hung in mud because the middle of your quad gets stuck on the hump in between the ruts and if you don't have just a super powerful quad you'll be stuck. Of course the ideal quad is one with lots of power and torque with a lot of ground clearance. You can always get a quad with a little less ground clearance and buy bigger tires and a lift kit if you want.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

When you get time try out the vinson 500 you might change your mind and save a pile of money and a better riding experience and enjoy the feel and speed and comfort of the ride. Thxs good luck and happy ATVing[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-06-2003, 11:31 PM
Trailblazer

If you're going to buy something in the 650 class of bikes I would get the new Arctic Cat. I just got my AC, I have only ridden it once but the ground clearance and IRS make a huge difference in my opinion. The ground clearance helps in all aspects of riding. The IRS makes it alot easier to ride technical terrain because the bike is not trying to tip or roll as much and you have four wheels on the ground alot more often. I chose to buy the 500 and I looked at everything in this class. I chose the cat because it has IRS, tons of ground clearance,tons of suspension travel, and a manual tranny(same motor as the vinson). The new 650 has an auto tranny but it has everything the other bikes have and more. It has the exact same motor as the Kawi, diff. locker, IRS, more ground clearance and susp. travel. Hope this can help in some way.