Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Lookin' for an ATV.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lookin' for an ATV.....

I'm new to ATV riding. I have never ridden an ATV offroad, but I have ridden them in parking lots and in backyards. I'm 17, 6'2", and 285. I'm a big guy so I need an ATV that will get me where I wanna go easily. I am interested in doing a lot of trail riding. So do I need a sport ATV? I do plan on going fast which will be loads of fun! YAY! LOL! Anyhow any suggestions would be nice.... Oh and i have a 4k spending limit. Thanks for the help!

Old 08-02-2003, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

Well, for trail riding I personally think 4x4 should be considered a must first off. If you dont need it turn it off. Now then, do you prefer automatics or semi autos or manual trans?

Old 08-02-2003, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have no preference for transmissions. I like manuals but automatics will do fine.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the scramblers.

Old 08-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

iam w/ JWtraulblazer on this one you should look at a scrambler. i was lookin at a 03 a guy had 4 sale and it had a DG pipe and that was it and i did 70mph but it was a 2x4

Old 08-03-2003, 02:47 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are tall an heavy. That means a big bore, and I think the Raptor is the only clear choice there, but may be a lot of bike for a beginner to handle. (I am personally hoping for a Honda 650EX this fall, but who knows.)

I don't agree with vampire that a 4X4 is a MUST. In fact, I say only go that route if it is absolutely necessary (eg. a lot of mud or snow). Think about it. Most utilities weigh in around 600 lbs., where most sport bikes are around 400 lbs. That's 200 extra lbs. (like carrying an extra rider!). What kind of conditions/what part of the country are you planning to ride in?

Old 08-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

well I live in Memphis TN and I'm sure you have heard of the Wolf River Bottoms (AKA Covington Pike Bottoms) The mud there is around 4 -6 feet deep depending on the time of year, but I am NOT planning on doing anything like that in a 4wheeler. I wanna go ride on trails in the woods and dirt trails and stuff. I will only be going through a little bit of mud if any at all. By the way... what is a Scrambler? Anyhow the Raptor looks a lil too scary for me! LOL! It truly looks ferocious! LOL! Anyhow... would anything less than 200cc be too little power for someone my size??? Thanks for the help so far guys!

Old 08-03-2003, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

A guy your size is going to want something at the very least 350cc or bigger. For $4000 you might find a slightly used 400EX if you want a sport quad. Or maybe a 2WD Kodiak or something if 4WD is not important. I'd stay away from Polaris, but that's just my opinion. I don't want to start a big long argument with anyone. We all have opinions. That's just mine.

Old 08-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

My friend had a 200cc 2wd quad i forgot what kind it was but that thing could go pretty fast. Well..... at least it felt fast.... anyhow! I could do wheelies and everything on that sucker so I thought that was a lot of power, but wouldnt something that big be too much power for me, a beginner, despite my size? My friend is 6'4" and he weighs around 360 and he rides every type of 4wheeler imaginable and his weight doesn't seem to slow him down. When I say i ride fast I'm talkin like 35 because that feels fast for me on a 4wheeler. Anyhow I will stop rambling on and get to my ultimate question.... How come you don't like Polaris? Do they break down? Do that suck? What? I don't wanna start a long argument I just wanna know because I don't know much about quads of any brand. Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 08-03-2003, 04:58 PM
Pro Rider

I was thinking of suggesting the scrambler too. I would say the 500 4x4 would do quite nicely. Anyone know what the weight difference between a scrambler 2wd and scrambler 4wd would be?

They are fast, powerful, very sporty, and you have the ability to have 4wd if you wish. I will say that in the long run, the Polaris design will probably mean more maintenance. Some people think that Polaris quads are unreliable. I disagree. Some models are better than others im sure. Same with all brands. The scrambler I am using week in and week out is very reliable. In its life it has needed one starter, one battery, and one carb rebuild. And before I started using it it sat up most of the time. Its design is a bit more complicated in some areas however. Thats why I say its probably going to be higher maintenance in the long run.

On the topic of 4x4, the reason I think it is very desirable even for trail riding, is if you get straddle of a log or down in a gully, etc. its nice to just push a button and add 2 wheels pulling. I ride mostly woods and hardly ever put my quads in 4x4, but its a nice backup in my opinion. Makes me feel safer.

Quick Reply: Lookin' for an ATV.....