Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Toy Hauler Reccommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003 | 12:09 AM
Pro Rider
Default Toy Hauler Reccommendations

I'm with these guys about the weight issue. I tow three quads two full size and 1 breeze on a 18 ft car hauler trailer. Trailer weighs 2000 with camping gear, gas etc. This is a real pull for my 1/2 ton 98 GMC pick up with a 350 vortec. When I have had a fourth quad on there and all the gear hills were a real challenge. Owners manual for my truck says it can tow 7700 lbs. But you won't get it up any mountains fast. My truck also has a custom exhaust, K&N filter, only 70,000 miles and runs real strong. I wouldn't try to tow anything heavier than the Pack Rat with a couple Quads with my truck. I am saving to buy a 3/4 ton next year with a big block.

Old 08-07-2003 | 12:41 AM
|
Pro Rider

Quadcrew - nice trailer, where can I get me one of those (the handy hubby that is). What's the finished weight on it? What do you pull it with?

I'm torn between really cushy creature comforts and just the basics. I really don't want to tow anywhere near the Jeep's capacity, so I may just damn the torpedos (and the check book) and look at the motor home that can tow my trailer and two quads. Any suggestions on this idea? Can a 18-20' motor home tow an 8x 10 trailer with two quads? I've seen some message boards that mention that Carson trailer has a kit type toy hauler than you buy only what you want on it. Has anyone heard of this?

There's an RV show in early October near me, so I may just spend a day there.

Old 08-07-2003 | 02:00 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

I have considered going the motorhome route. Only thing is, you give up the 4-wheel drive of your Jeep! We are headed for Pismo tomorrow, and I know I will be towing my friends stuck moterhomes all afternoon (instead of riding). Something to think about.

My opinion about Carson is that they finish the interiors very crudely. But, they do have the best price, so you aren't paying for fluff. On the other hand, there is a glut of moterhomes out there, so you should be able to get a good price.

Old 08-07-2003 | 10:15 AM
Range Rover

Not sure what the finished weight is....need to go to the scales and check it. We have a '77 Chevy Camper Special with a 454 in it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (Hubby redid that too!) You know the trailer is back there, but it isn't a problem. We used to have a motorhome, we like being able to drop the trailer and go with the truck. (Mrs. Q)

Old 08-07-2003 | 02:55 PM
|
Pro Rider

Decisions decisions. I love the fact that my Jeep can, and does, go any where, and that you can unhitch the toys. But I hate the fact that I may need to spend more than I wanted to on either a motor home or a bigger truck. (Unless Mrs. Q let's me share her hubby for a week or so! lol)

Although Carson is "stripped", are they durable and reliable, or do you get what you pay for?

Recon - other than Pismo, are the other local riding areas - Joshnson Valley, Stoddard near Slash X, Big Bear condusive to motor homes? Where I've been locally, Stoddard off Dale Evans and the area before the factory outlets (Sidewinder Rd.) and in Hesperia seem very do-able in a motor home. (Although I did need to use the 4low at Hesperia in a wash- but that's another story.) Mostly we ride in AZ, but only about 4-5 times per year which is not enough. Our riding time MUST AND WILL greatly expand (hopefully most weekends) if we add in the local areas.

Tanks to all who've replied. Anyone else have reccommendations for a toy hauler/motor home?

Old 08-11-2003 | 11:32 AM
Red Rider

I got cured of ever wanting a motorhome (unless it is a 4X4!!) this weekend!! Watching the motorhomes wallow around at Pismo was great sport!! I am beginning to think that the way to go is a 4X4 pickup with one of those fold-down, off-road worthy campers in back. And, a light flat trailer for the bikes.

You are right. All the areas you mentioned are fine for a motorhome, with a savy driver. For myself, I am afraid the motorhome is just to limiting, but see my post http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...ighlight_key=y

katstoy-When it cools down, another place you need to try is Rasor. It has a little of everything!! Dunes, trails in the hills, wide open desert, and Afton Canyon (great scenery and the Mojave River runs at the surface there, so you ride the river bed in the water)

Old 08-11-2003 | 12:59 PM
Ol
Range Rover

I cannot offer a solution - just my personal experience and some thoughts.

I pull my Artic Fox RV trailer 9 miles off the paved road over jeep trails and sand to get it to my ranch. It gets pulled in and out to the ranch about 6 times every year because I use it for travel elsewhere too, but stays there between times. I carry my Honda Rancher in the bed of my truck. I have a 10 foot enclosed Wells Cargo trailer also. The ATV fits but the bed carry is preferable. My Dodge 4x4 pulls trailers over sand like nobody's business.

Of course, if you have more than one ATV you've got problems. Now that I'm about to add a Recon to the livery, I suppose I'll be forced to leave 1 ATV at the ranch all the time (not that that's a bad thing).

Personally, I'd like to see some manufacturer produce a very nice, semi-luxurious 5th wheel toy box- something to keep the (non-ATV-ing) Missus happy and still give me what I want.

Old 08-11-2003 | 03:09 PM
|
Pro Rider

Well, I made a little trip to the speed sports expo this weekend and teh only toy boxes they had were from Weeked Warrior. There's a nice 19' that weighs in at about 3500# empty. Figure another 1000 to 1500# for bikes, gear and water, and I'm only about 1000# less than my Jeep's towing capacity. The question is, how bad is it to tow at or near your vehicle's towing capacity? Am I just begging to put in a new transmission?

Old 08-12-2003 | 01:54 AM
Red Rider

Nice Rig!! http://www.off-road.com/ford/camp/outfitter/intro/

I am in kind of the same situation as you. I have to haul kids and a triathlon team all over the place, so I have a 9 passenger Suburban 4X4. My towing capacity is around 5,500 lbs., which is way to low for the rather large W. Warrior I would need. So, I haul the bikes in a utility trailer, and bum a shower off my friends.

Have you looked at the Pack Rat??

Old 08-12-2003 | 02:12 AM
Ol
Range Rover

katstoy,
No doubt there's them that pull right up to the maximum tow capacity. Personally, I wouldn't do it - BUT - I pull my rig over the Sierras 7000+ elevation. If you're a flat lander you "might" get away with it.

One other piece of unsolicited advice from my personal experiences: add up the estimated weight of all the stuff you'll be putting in the rig (ATV, water, food, clothes, etc) and then double it. You will be amazed at how much you'll end up carrying vs what you'd planned for - especially if you're taking one of them female type persons.

Earlier this evening I looked at the Artic Fox site - looking at their Toy Box (the Desert Fox) total loaded weight on that puppy is 13000 pounds Plus (that's the GVWR) - a little better that 3000 more than my Dodge diesel is rated to tow. My point being: you can (and will) get in trouble in a hurry if you aren't very careful.

I hope this has been of some help.

Quick Reply: Toy Hauler Reccommendations