Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Utility ATV - Do I need more than 400cc?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility ATV - Do I need more than 400cc?

Just remember almost nothing was bigger than 400ccs only 8 years ago and people did everything with them they do today. I'd give up the cc's for the weight difference and handling anyday. Not a 4x4 out there I'd trade my little Wolverine for. Light = fun.

Old 12-15-2003, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Arctic388
yeah go with the 400 but make sure you get the Arctic Cat.

if you compare all other brands you'll see they all are in the shadows of Arctic Cat
If you do just straight-up work and slow riding, then sure, get the Arctic Cat, I've heard they have great suspension. However, if you plan to put a little pep in your pace for the recreational rides (and you probably will after you have some riding experience under your belt and the chores are done), I would suggest against the Cats. That independent suspension is horrible compared to a swingarm when the trail speeds get up there and there are plenty of swingarm quads that have just as plush a ride as an IRS quad. The first people that were all telling you to go with Hondas have it right on the money. The reliability of a Honda is unmatched and they have the right mix of power, suspension and handling for your type of riding. Just another thought, because you said you ride steep hills occasionally, please stay away from Polaris. I have heard so many stories about these quads rolling over while going sideways on a hill. I'm going to make somebody angry by saying that, but just a suggestion from rider to rider.

Old 12-17-2003, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt you'll need more than a 400 for what you've described. I've got a 96 Foreman 400 w/fulltime 4x4, and it's great for what I do, which is mostly farmwork and a bit of exploring. Only shortfall is short and stiff suspension, which isn't so bad if you pick your way through things. I don't use anywhere near the power the 400 has, and we've pulled some good sized logs with it, as well as towed about 600 pounds of trailer and two-up at the same time.

Old 12-23-2003, 11:31 AM
Trailblazer

I fully agree,

I had a guy (without a helmet) slowly climbing a bayou washout, granted it was a rather steep one, on his Polaris and rolled over like a fat dog wanting his belly rubbed.

(always wear a helmet!!!!!!)

Old 12-29-2003, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer

Have you looked into 04 Polaris Magnum 330 4x4? I have one myself and using it for all around yard work and pleasure. I am an older guy also so its a just right machine for me. Plenty of power and not too fast.

Jack

Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

GET A WOLVERINE. if you get a wolverine you can do just about anything. with any quad and have no trouble staying around. I take mine anywhere. The only things i would sugest right off the bat when you get it is the WARN 424 select that lets you use 2x4 when you want to and the highlifter skidplate/dimondplate package. skidplates are a very important thing for any quad and they make a quality package that is easy to install and looks quite nice. i could get you some pics of mine if you want to see it. I have a FMF megamax exaust and K&N intake and it was a great idea. it has plenty of pep to go anywhere you want but if your looking to get a kick in the pants thats a real cheap way to do it. It is a great all around quad, reliable, versitile, great ground clearence for it's size (almost 9 inches) and will last for a long time. Ive ridden the hell out of mine and it works great.

basically it has sport like suspention and geometry for a 4x4. if you have friends with sport quads you can hang with them fine or if you ride with big 4x4s you will have no problem in sloppy mud or steep acents. once you do the 424 select by warn it is the PERFECT middle of the road quad. I love mine and wouldnt trade it for anything else. Ill keep it long as I can

Old 01-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

I recently purchased a 2003 Rancher 4x4.

I couldnt be happier.

I have ridden and owned larger in te past but this little guy gets me through the trails and mud with trouble.

I am 6'0" 210lbs and pulls me up steep embankments no problem. Top speed even with me on it is 50 or so.

Cant be beat at the price.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:12 PM
mtd
Range Rover

PaulCT,
I would say check the following Quad's:
Bombardier Outlanders XT
Honda Rancher AT 400
Suzuki Eiger
Kawasaki P 360
Yamaha Kodiak

Bombardier and Honda would be my best choices.

Good luck

Old 01-05-2004, 06:35 PM
Trailblazer

Support America! Buy products made in the USA! ...............a polaris?...hmmm..lol[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-05-2004, 08:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

Last year I purchased a Suzuki Eiger 4x4 auto. I couldn't be happier with it, its been in water almost to the muffler, in swamps, over and into rocks, and even pushes a plow. It has about 130 miles on it and still going strong. Its seems to be quite peppy, I say seems because the only other quad I've ridden was a 5 speed Artic Cat.

Quick Reply: Utility ATV - Do I need more than 400cc?