Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How Much???

Old 07-14-1999, 02:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much are you really willing to spend on a 4X4 quad? You think the average $6000-$7000 price tag is getting kind of steep for one of the big boys?

Old 07-14-1999, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think that an ATV in that price range puts it out of the reach of a lot of people. You could almost buy a new car at that price.

Old 07-14-1999, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

You got to shop around tho i found a shop in Mich. that no one eles can beat so far.
brand new prices
Banshee 5300.00
400EX 5300.00
Gp1200 6900.00
i know they are not what every one is looking for but these are things i have mentaly noted in my melon
but wow these are great prices

Chad "ZORLOC" Petersen

Old 07-14-1999, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

That is pretty expensive compared to ten years ago. But, look at how much FUN they are!!! I think it is worth it.

Old 07-15-1999, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, we're not talk'n about a new microwave, or automatic sprinklers here. With the exception of those quads used for work, these things are a total indulgence. We buy 'em becouse we WANT 'em. They look cool, go fast, and make niose. If being smart with your money were the issue, you'd stay home and pull weeds on Sunday.

------------------
TRXter

400EX

Old 07-15-1999, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

I think some bikes are over priced. The bigger the more expensive. I think that pricing ATVs over $6000 is crazy and it angers me. People get all excited about new Bombardiar, or a Husagerg; look at the dang price tag!!! I can tell you right now, these bikes will not sell. I don't go down to the local trails and see these bikes around, nor do I see them at the GNC/GNCC races! So who actually buys these machines? Whats sells is average priced, stock ATV's. People like to improve there ATVs, what fun is it if you have everything?

------------------
Evan Johnson 88 LT250R 98 Blaster

Old 08-01-1999, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

Everything today is overpriced. The worst value for an atv ever-Bombardier Traxter. It didn't get good reviews, and was an extremely expensive quad. The timberwolf 4x4 has been a popular seller because its a cheap 4x4. If they placed that in the 5000 range I bet no one would take it. It's just that if someone can get a 300 4x4 quad in the 4000 range that would be great. But thats not gonna happen. Prices are just going up. ATVs have become incredibly popular and therefore prices can be jacked high for new buyers. I like the Wolverine. Its just a great 4x4 in the mid 5000's

------------------
Alibaba

'98 Honda 300ex, '97 Honda Recon, '86 TRX125

Old 08-12-1999, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey administrator.......Please tell me where you can get a new car for $6000 - $7000 ....I'll buy ten of them......as far as the price for a new quad exceeding that range......I believe it will go as high as the market will bear....... I hate to quote my father but...people buy them, it just doesnt mean you have to.

Old 08-30-1999, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

PRICE AND PERSPECTIVE

Right after World War II when I was a small boy, I can remember my father wishing he could make $1000 per month and be able to live in a $50,000 house. Today, full-time burger-flippers at McDonald’s make $1000 per month (168 hours per month * $6 per hour), and in most cities a $50,000 house is your basic fixer-upper hovel.

Forty years earlier quads weren’t even a gleam in a designers’ eye, I couldn’t have bought one no matter how much money I had. In 1971 my Honda CB350 cost $580 out the door. In August ’95 I paid $6900 for my ’96 Kawasaki Bayou 400 4x4 (this price included sales tax and every option Kawasaki offered including a winch).

It is very easy to think that the ’71 Honda was a great deal. Where can you buy a brand new street bike today for under $600. Yet in terms of labor expended (constant dollars) to buy them, each toy cost me just slightly more than a month’s salary. But more importantly, the level of engineering sophistication in the Kawasaki is much greater than in the Honda. So in effect, I got much more bank for the buck with the Kawasaki.

This same phenomenon is seen in a much more pronounced, and accelerated, fashion in the personal computer world. In 1981 the first IBM PC with two 160K floppies, 64K of memory, and a 12” monochrome monitor cost about $4,000. In 1992 the Micron DX486-66 with a 540M hard drive, 16M memory, and a 15” VGA monitor cost about $4,000. Today a loaded Pentium III with a 17” SVGA monitor costs about the same $4,000.

Technology continues to make ever more technically sophisticated devices available to the buying public for the same, or less, in constant dollars as compared to what came before. So while you’ll probably have to work just about as hard to buy tomorrow’s quad as you do buy today’s, tomorrows will be a better buy.

Forty years from now you, now teenage forum members, will wax nostalgic about the days when you could have bought a brand new loaded 4x4 for a measly seven grand. And you’ll complain no end about how the new $70,000 Techimaki VTOL quad (with the capabilities of today’s Harrier jet) is overpriced.

So are today’s big-bore 4x4s worth $7,000? In a word, YES. Thanks to free-market competition, the manufacturers are bringing you highly sophisticated vehicles at the best possible prices. If you really want to get mad at somebody about the seemingly endless round of price increases (spiraling inflation), get mad at your government. Since the inception of the Federal Reserve in 1913 the value of the dollar has dropped by over 90%.

Is there at least one bright spot in all of this? Yes there is. The cost of fuel to make all these toys go is now at its lowest level in real dollars since any time after World War II. Today’s $1.25 per gallon regular gas (here in Pittsburgh), is the same as yesterday’s 13 cents per gallon regular gas. So fill ‘er up and go have some cheap fun.

Army Man

Old 08-30-1999, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

They are going to charge whatever we are willing to pay. That is the law of supply and demand. I feel that they are making a heafty profit, or else new manufactures would not be getting into the game. You can but a Kia for about $9500, just a couple of thousand over the big bore machines (although, in my opinion, a Kia is barely a car), but a lot more time and money is spent engineering a car, there are a lot more parts involved (airbags, radios, spare tires) just kidding on that last one. I feel that the big machines should go for about $3500 - $4000, but at the rate that they are selling, that will never happen. But wouldn't it be great to be able to buy a 250 for $1800 - $2000? I would like to hear others input.

Search this Thread