Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

ATV reliability

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 09:26 PM
mik
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cory,

You didn't think the Honda dealer would have anything good to say about Polaris or any other brand for that matter, did you??

BTW are you in eastern PA? Looking for some good riding areas

Mike

Old 08-17-1999, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

To Whomever,

Why don't all you rice burner lovers go to Japan and ride your rice burners and let us Polaris lovers alone to ride in the USA and pull ourselves out of the woods.

------------------
Big_Al

Old 08-18-1999, 04:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Trx430ex has a good point about Honda getting a piece of the sales pie. If they want it bad enough, they can get it. Just look where the attention went when the 400 ex showed up on the scene. Before it came out, people were like "Honda.. yeah the 250 was a baaad bike, but the 300 ex isn't anything to brag about". Then it changed to,"Honda's coming out with a 400 sport bike?, Based on a 250r frame", "Man, I gotta see this!" If they put out a sport utility, get ready to see heads turn and quads get traded in! When it comes to Honda, the ball is always on their court.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 08-18-1999, 01:10 PM
Range Rover

Why dont all of you guys who love Honda so much go live in Japan. Man o man this is your own country and you do nothing but buy foreign quads. Honda has to follow the leader (which is Polaris) and the only reason people sometimes pick on Polaris is because they have no idea what those things can do. Polaris can topple a 400EX when set right and that is that! By the way while you are drowning in your tears from me passing you sitting in water or mud or even on rocks etc etc, I will make sure the dust sticks to your eyes and closes them. Then and only then you might realize what quad is the real MACHINE.

LOL
'99 Scrambler 400
Just ragging alittle guys. To all have a safe a happy quad experience wherever you may roam. LONG LIVE HARDCORE ATV ers!!!

Old 08-18-1999, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

For your information,300,400exs,400,450s and es are made in marrysville ohio or there new plant in North caralina.With union labor.I would like to see more quality american made goods,But you have to admit, those japanese can build a dependable motor.

Hears a question talon400 do you think you could out drag a 387lb 52hp 1999 400EX.

PS Honda is not just america and japan they are global.When do you think Polaris will compete globaly?

Old 08-18-1999, 08:53 PM
Range Rover

52 HORSEOWER?? I laugh at that they are not nowhere near 52 HP. The DS650 only has 48 and you are telling me that the Honda has that much come on now. You better read some on that one. But anyway I would drag you! So what if you win I dont care the main point is that a 4 wheel drive machine would only be a little bit behind. That is sad. It is proven in the charts and also in the ride. The main point is that you need to think about 52 HP.

Have a good one. RIDE HARD!

Chuck

Old 08-19-1999, 12:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

SgtShultzy, allow me to get back to your question about the Magnum 500 and Polaris reliability. Maybe we can get this thread back on track.

I've had the same question you've had for about 4 months now. the bottom line.....I'll take delivery on my Magnum 500 on Saturday. But I have to admit, I'm nervous about it.

I've ridden almost every utility and sport/utility quad made over the past few months. I've owned Honda (250X, 200E), Kawasiki (300 2x4) and Polaris (250 Trail Boss) in the past. I never had a problem with the Hondas or the Polaris. The Kawi was extremely cold-natured and never idled smoothly, even when new. I have not considered Arctic Cat because they are so new and unproven. I have not considered Suzuki because they make the most unreliable outboard motors on the planet, and call it closed-mindedness, but I can't get past that fact to think about one of their quads.

I very, very seriously considered the Honda 450ES. In fact, I've ridden one 4 times! And Gordon Banks very generously gave me about 4 hours of his time last month to talk more about the Hondas. Gordon has a fantastic machine that I would love to own.....but I don't want to spend another $2,000 in mods after spending $5,700 on a new 450ES.

In my opinion, after riding everything out there, is the Magnum 500 is the most fun and nimble utility quad out there. It is amazing to me how 647 pounds of quad can feel so light when it's under you, but it does. On the other hand, the Yamahas and Hondas feel heavy and stiff, and fairly unresponsive unless heavily modified.

Why am I nervous about buying the Magnum? In a word, reliability. I'll write a $6,000 check on Saturday. I want the machine to work for me. Basically, because this machine is so much more fun and responsive than anything out there in the utility 4x4 class, I'm willing to "face the music" on the reliability issue.

Like you, I read all the posts about Polaris reliability issues. But don't let sample size fool you. Keep in mind that Polaris has more market share than Yamaha, Kawi and Suzuki combined. There are many, many more Polaris machines out there in service to break down. The Japanese certainly have an edge in the quality arena.....there is no doubting that fact. Honda makes a great machine that is very reliable......and boring when it comes to the utility class.

I'm going to move ahead with my Magnum purchase. I just wish I could somehow find out what Honda will be coming out with during the winter.

Keep riding everything and make a decision you can live with. There are clear sacrifices (or risks?) one makes in buying a Polaris. But I'm not willing to make sacrifices in the "fun" and "comfort" categories in which Polaris excels and the Japanese manufactureres, in general, do not in the utility class. And isn't that what it's all about? Fun? Sure, getting stranded in the woods would NOT be my idea of fun. But with very close attention to maintenance, and reasonable (non-abusive) riding, I believe the Magnum will fully meet my needs.

Good luck!

Keith Rose
Northport, Alabama

Old 08-19-1999, 12:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Keith Rose,

Don't be nervous about your purchase. I think you will be very satisfied with the service you will receive from your Polaris. I own a 98 Xplorer 400 and have been very satisafied with it.

Utility/Sport ATV's are not racing machines and should not be used in that manner. I think most of the reliabilty issues stem from the fact that this is how they are utilized, or thought of, by individuals fantasizing they are racers. Couple this with a minimal amount of preventative maintaince and you have so called perceived reliability issues. As I said in a previous post, take care of your machine and it will take care of you.

I firmly believe that Polaris is no more, less reliable, then any other ATV on the market. It's as you said the market share is so vast that the negative feedback seems high when in fact proportionally it may be less when compared to other manufacturers.

Enjoy your Magnum, I'm sure it will be as reliable as any other ATV you can purchase.

------------------
Big_Al

Old 08-19-1999, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave Iskierka, I must clarify the incident you reference in your post of 08/17!

Your case is hardly "closed" by Gordon Banks witnessing a Kawasaki towed from the field (amid the jeers of the populace).

Why? Because the malfunction in question was a result of incorrect user-level maintenance, i.e., incorrectly torqued carburetor hose clamp, a maintenance oversight that cannot legitimately be charged to Kawasaki design, construction, materials, or workmanship!

Score this one against the rider, not the manufacturer.

The rider installed the carburetor in its rubber hoses; he affixed the hose clamps; and he tightened them adequately (he thought). Obviously, he didn't. Unless, some member of the vast Polaris conspiracy sneaked up on his quad while it rested in his pickup bed the night before and willfully sabotaged his ride, surreptitiously loosening the hose clamp . . .

(By the way, where were YOU, Dave, on the evening of July 16, 1999? Did anyone see you there? Are they willing to swear to it?)

Anyway, one thing seems clear: if it's loose, Tasker's Gap will shake it off!

Actually, the rider CHOSE evacuation instead of a trailside repair, because his quad was blocking a one-quad wide trail, the weather was HOT, he'd completed well-over thirty miles of hard riding at the end of the day, and willing (well, maybe not WILLING. Uh, reluctant, but capable?) transport was available to evacuate him to a more comfortable workshop.

If the rider had addressed his problem further in the field, I'm confident in his own quiet way even he, with all his ineptness, would have discovered it!

Further, the rider had the means to fix it with him (a screwdriver)!

Failure of the rider to perform corrective maintenance at his level, whatever his reason (fatigue, laziness, unwillingness to block a one-quad trail, obsessive focus on approaching dinner reservations at the wonderful River'd Inn) does not fault a machine's design or manufacture.

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-19-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 08-19-1999).]

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 08-27-1999).]

Old 08-19-1999, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every Polaris person in this Forum only need to go to my post [99 Sportsman] and see how severly disappointed I am in my purchase.YES,I once loved that machine and thought it to be nearly invincable too,but as everyone told me,wait a while, it'll soon probably let me down,it did.And neither Polaris nor the Dealership will even talk to me.Thats no way to treat a customer who spent nearly 8000$ on his Sportsman and accessories is it?Thats not to say I believe all Polaris to be junk,im just saying I got a Lemon and Polaris wont back up their product.I personally know many happy Polaris riders,my anger comes from Polaris ignorance of my problems and unwillingness to help me.I vow to NEVER buy or recommend ANYTHING Polaris sells.I hope that you new Polaris buyers have the best of luck on your side.God knows you'll need it if anything happens to your quad like what happend to mine. BILL

Quick Reply: ATV reliability