Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

4wd or 2wd??

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-1999, 04:09 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never never ridden a quad, but a bunch of us decided to buy quads for recreational purposes.
I current 4wheel in my toyota, ranging from mud and rocks to the sand dunes. I would like to do the same stuff with a quad. Will a 2wd quad like the honda 400ex be able to handle this or should i shop for a 4wd quad. Also what would you guys recommend for a used or new quad, I want the most bang for the buck, stressing the buck side of things.

Old 08-25-1999, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only tougher decision is which brand to buy. In my opinion, 4wd is most useful in mud, sugar sand and steep hills, so it depends on what kind of driving you are going to do. You could go with a bike that has push button 4wd. The decision comes down to would you rather be the one pulling your fellow riders out of the mud or do you want them to have to pull them out of the mud. And there is also the money factor, 4wd can sometimes cost as much ad $1000 over 2wd. Personally its 4wd for me (a Honda 450ES in fact) I like the fact that I can go almost anywhere. As far as new or used, my personal belien is that when you buy used, you do not know what you are getting, you may gat a well taken care of quad, but on the other hand you may get a well beaten quad. For your first bike, I would recommend new, unless you are willing to put a few bucks into it. Hope this helps.