Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Magnum 325 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-1999, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have decided that the Magnum 325 4x4 is the quad for me. It is priced under $5000 which is my limit. I will mostly use it for mud, snow, sand, and creek riding. I would appreciate any info, good or bad, on this quad.

Old 09-05-1999, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider

Maybe there was just something wrong with the one you rode? Surely Polaris wouldn't make a quad that vibrated really bad...

Old 09-05-1999, 02:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I rode one for about 3 minutes at a dealer once while I was riding sportsmans for fun. The mag I rode was 2wd though. All I really figured out in that little time was that it vibrated like crazy. It was like I was on a jackhammer. Reminded me of the 84 kawa bayou 185.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 09-05-1999, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

I don't know. They make quads that break after the first ride.

------------------
Arctic Cat 500, Not your average Kitty, The New King Of the Jungle

Old 09-06-1999, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

The magnum 325 4x4 should be a very reliable package. It has the same driveline as the 500 magnum. I have a magnum 500 and it has performed flawlessly since day one, There are several around here and none of them have had any problems of any kind. I believe Polaris will lay the reliability issue to rest with the magnum lineup they are solid built machines. I have only seen a couple of 325s and got to ride one it was a nice package rode very well ,had ample power was extremly comfortable. Ride one first then decide, I can,t make the decision for you but if it was me picking a machine in the 300cc range it would be the 325 4x4.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-07-1999, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a Mag 325 4X4 about 3 months ago. I ride in the Washington and Oregon Cascade Mountains and I have yet to find a grade too steep for it. Just yesterday it took me (240 lbs) and a friend (190 lbs) up a grade that almost had us tipping over backwards. It had ample power. I don't even need ramps to get it on the trailer. It just climbs right up.

We did a lot of hauling of firewood with it. 30+" rounds 16" long all day long. It made short work of it.

Its only short-coming (if you can call it that) that I have found is speed. If you are into all out speed this isn't the rig for you. It will go fast enough to kill you though and that's fast enough for me.

My wife loves to put around on it, too because it is so easy to run. And, I have my 9 year old driving it while I am on the back. He has the whole thing down from starting it up to parking it. We go on many training rides. He loves it and it will make him a safer rider when he gets his own.

There is a lot of talk about downhill operation without the engine braking that a standard shift will give you or the EBS available as an option. I have been down grades that will scare the hell out of the best of them and believe me, you don't need it. Just remember where your brake lever is. If the grade is a long one, you can shift to low range and keep a little throttle on to keep the PVT engaged to save the brakes.

It is very safe as well. If this thing ever gets to the point where it will turn over you will have known it was coming for a while. It will scare you BEFORE it will turn over. It likes to stay rubber-side-down.

For safety, ease of operation, climbing ability, and utility, I don't think you can buy a better rig for the price.

[This message has been edited by Kevin2650 (edited 09-07-1999).]

Old 09-07-1999, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

PP 500,I bought a 325 Mag 4x4 a couple of months ago and I like it alright. It is the first quad I've owned and is a good bike for my kids and my wife and I. It does vibrate somewhat but I don't have much to compare it with so I don't know if this is irregular or not.
I'm not happy with the power, though, as I feel it is a bit under powered for the weight ratio (I think the bike is about 620lbs). I hope someone comes out with some power upgrades soon, I haven't found any so far.
I crossed referenced the oil filter at Checker Auto and came up with a fram PH6017A that was the identical filter...as far as I know. I put it on and it works.
I payed $4700 for the bike. It lists at $5399, so I feel I got a fair price for it.
I road it up one steep booger of a hill with a rider on the back and had to stop right at the top (back tires spinning) and grab the brakes to shift into low and flip it into 4 wheel drive. It did what it was supposed to do and went right up and over the top of the crest and into the parking lot of Francis Peak's 9515 ft Air Traffic Radar site. 9515 feet is high up, so the bike is capable of doing some crazy stuff at high elevations and still be able to run. You gotta love that 4 wheel drive thumb switch. It might well have saved our lives cause that hill was really dangerous now that I think of it. (drop off on both sides)Fliping the thumb switch is a lot better than throwing some lever and hoping it goes into gear...fast. You flip that thumb switch and you are there my friend. I like that part of the bike.
It rides nice, too. I like the Polaris feel over other bikes that I have ridden.
All in all, I'd get a 500 next time or the new 425 5 speed.

Old 09-07-1999, 10:38 PM
Rob
Trailblazer

Hey Kevin2650 I live in The Washington Area and considering a Magnum 325 aswell were do you live I will be riding in oregan and Wa to Mabey we can or something Talk to you soon mabey

Robert

Old 09-08-1999, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

The bought a 325 2x4 this spring and have had very good luck with it. The vibration gets better around 40 to 50 hours. My 2x4 will do anything I need around the farm so the 4x4 should be evern better.

Dan Daugherty

Old 09-08-1999, 06:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Rob,

I am in the Gorge area. I have riden on private property only as of yet (work and play) both on the Oregon and Washington side of the river.

I haven't riden any public places yet. But, I am going to try out the OHV trails in Gifford Pinchot National Forest soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Check it out - "http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/biking/trailbike_riding2.htm"

[This message has been edited by Kevin2650 (edited 09-08-1999).]

Quick Reply: Magnum 325 4x4