Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What to look for in a used ATV

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-1999, 01:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Members,

I'm looking to buying a four wheeler for the up coming hunting season. I really like Honda and have my heart set on a 300 4x4. I would rather have the 400 but I don't have that kind of money right now. I'm looking to spend, at most, $4,000. There have been a few in the local paper, one was a 97 for $4,000 and a dealership had a 98 for $3,800. How do these prices sound? I really need to know if there is anything I should look for when buying a used four wheeler, what to stay away from and so on.

Thank you for any help,
Chris

Old 09-16-1999, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Minnesota, where you can buy a new 300 4x4 for about $4300. So the 98" for $3800 sounds about right.
Here are the things that are good to check.
Open the airbox and inspect the filter to see if the owner has ever cleaned it.
Tip the machine up, so that it is balanced on the rear wheels and back rack. You should do this to see if the skid plates have dents and scratches on them. That way you know how aggressive the owner was riding it. If the bottom side is beat to heck, they probaly beat the machine.
Check the rims. Dented rims are also a sign of aggressive riding and beating the machine.
Just listen to it run, and try to take it for a spin if the owner will allow you too. An owner of a "mint" machine should never have a problem with you driving it before you buy it.
Just my 2 cents.
Hope that you can find one to your liking.

Chris "00" 300EX

Old 09-16-1999, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CSTARK,well said and good sound advice.Hell,I may look you up on my next quad purchase.[just kiddin] BILL

Old 09-19-1999, 03:38 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys, that will really help me out. Now the trouble of finding a good one. I'm reallt starting to lean toward a new one. I just hope my wife does too.

Thanks again,
Chris

Old 09-19-1999, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good advice!

I'd add--pull the engine through with the auxiliary starter a couple of times, ignition key "OFF." Feel for engine compression.

Low compression indicates valve and/or ring problems, maybe worse.

The drivetrain boots may tell a tale also; watch out for undisclosed and unrepaired torn or cracked boots.

Ask some casual questions about oil changes, i.e., at what interval, how much does it take, what brand and weight used, and so on--no way you can check on this, but listen to the music: you're developing a feel for how well the current owner cared for his mount.

Good luck!

Tree Farmer

[This message has been edited by Tree Farmer (edited 09-19-1999).]

Old 09-21-1999, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Chris,

Buy the new one. You will get a warranty (however small), and you will know what has happened to the machine.

You aren't buying someone else's problems, and you are the one and only owner.

You will love the confidence that you have when you know that it is new. Not to mention that it is a Honda.

RM