Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help choosing Kodiak or Honda450es

Old 10-18-1999, 08:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking at buying my first atv. It is a toss up between the Kodiak and Honda450es. I will be using it mostly for hunting and mild trail riding. I would also like to use it to plow snow. I am partially disabled and I am a bit on the large side(601-240lb) I have concerns that the Kodiak will be lacking power to plow with my weight on the machine. I am also limited now in upper body strength and have concerns that the Honda being 4wd all the time will be too much for me. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-18-1999, 10:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Sgt,

I really don't think you could go wrong with either choice. I know the 450 is a good quad and I hear nothing but good things about the new Kodiak.

I don't think the Kodiak will be lacking in power with the new 401cc engine. I don't know how the belt drive will stand up to snow plowing though.

I don't think the Honda is any harder to steer than any other utility quad.

I would recommend going and getting on each - see which is most comfortable for you. If at all POSSIBLE - ride each. Different folks like different things - Get what feels good to you.

Again - I think either would make a fine quad - you might want to ask the Yamaha thread about the power of the Kodiak - I know the Foreman can get it done.

Good luck
Happy Trails

------------------
Steve "Bog Hog" West

Honda 300 4x4 - Gordonized, Powered and Vamped

Old 10-19-1999, 10:02 AM
Trailblazer

I agree both rides are nice. I just went through this decision between the Big Bear and the Foreman S. I ended up buying the Honda because I liked it a little better. I was able to ride both which did influence my decision, but I don't think you will go wrong with either.

------------------
Stump '99 Foreman S

Old 10-19-1999, 02:26 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

Like they said above, either should be fine for your needs. I have a 450ES and don't know what I would do with more power. Also, it fits me and other big riders (200+ lbs)well. I consider floorboards a great help in snow, weeds, and just creating a generally easier ride -- especially getting on and off (which when working I do a lot).

The belt transmission question is an interesting one. You might try asking in one of the other forums about plowing with a Prairie or a Polaris to see how their belts held up.

The advice of taking a test ride is well taken. I compared the Suzuki 500 when I went out to buy my quad. Just one lap around the parking lot was enough to know which one felt better to me. There was nothing wrong with the Suzuki, but I just knew I liked the feel of the Honda better. So while its tough to get a two hour trail ride for a test, I would hope the dealer would at least let you take it for a spin on the premises.

Also, about the steering, the four-wheel drive only kicks in if it needs it. I have found it to be a rare event even in the snow. So I don't think it should be a problem -- but again, a quick test should give you a comparison.

Thanks,

Rod 98 450ES [...and its yellow]

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 10-19-1999).]

Old 10-19-1999, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Say what? The all Honda 4x4s are FULL TIME 4WD. Only Polaris has 4wd system that "kicks-in" when you need it.

Old 10-20-1999, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

What I believe our friend means is that with a limited slip front differential you won't notice the front end pulling until it starts slidding around. The front diff. clutches will start to grab.
Back to the original question. I personally would be cautious about using a belt drive to plow snow or do any hard pulling. I use my 450ES on the ranch to do chores including plowing, pulling logs from the bush, and watering and feeding livestock as well as for recreation. The electric shift manual transmission works like a charm.

Honda 450ES in the wild country!

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

[This message has been edited by BigRed450 (edited 10-20-1999).]

Old 10-20-1999, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

What I believe our friend means is that with a limited slip front differential you won't notice the front end pulling until it starts slidding around. The front diff. clutches will start to grab.

Honda 450ES in the wild country!

------------------
Ride the "WILD" country , South Gillies, Ontario, Canada

Old 03-11-2002, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

I would go with the Kodiak.

Old 03-12-2002, 08:34 AM
Pro Rider

I have an 02 Kodiak that I hunt and plow with. One thing that I really like about the atv is the automatic for plowing. Your never in the wrong gear. I've had no belt problems at all. . And as far as power I have no complaints in that department. For an ATV to be able to break its wheels free on a dirt road with no problems even with a 230lbs driver that tells me that the power is good. The new 450's at the dealer down here gives the option for 2-4 wheel drive which would make the stearing lighter. Don't get me wrong 450ES is an excellent ATV, but I really like my Kodiak.

Old 03-16-2002, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Boner is incorrect.Not every Honda is full time 4x4,I know,I sell Honda ATVs.ALL the 2002 450ES Honda's are SWITCHABLE 2wd/4wd.So is the new 2003 Rincon,and it has IRS.

Bill

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help choosing Kodiak or Honda450es