Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Help with first ATV

Old 12-01-1999, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the market for my first atv. I am looking at a '96 suzuki 250 quadrunner with low miles with aprice of around $2500. I would mainly use it for hunting and driving on gasline trails. Anyone have any info on this machine such as reliability or value.
help! please.

Old 12-01-1999, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) provides a rough guide regarding value.

Suzuki owners I know and ride with claim they're rock-solid reliable (hunting host Ike has a 250 Quadrunner 4X4); I've seen the larger King Quad and Quadrunner 500 in action; they're formidable machines.

Good luck, whatever you decide and choose.

Tree Farmer

Old 12-01-1999, 08:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you like the quadrunner go for it..

But you may want to look around a bit more.

Don't jump on the first one you see. Look around. Get a idea of prices..then start looking.

You don't really need it right now. Being winter. Wait til spring and they will be everywhere for sale!

Also..Ask your self. Do you want to go full Utilty? Or a Sport?

Me when i bought my first..yeah..i want to go slow putt around on some trails and hunt. After i found out how much it was. I wanted a sport!! More speed!!

The Artic Cat is a quick 4x4..if you are looking into something new.

The polaris Sportman's are pretty fast..and the scramblers are great too..

The Hondas are a great reliable machine..but all the 4x4s are slow..My friend gets 45 on his Foreman 450..Even my old turtle TRX250 will do 50..i clocked it with my street and trail at 50..on a long flat road..

Yamaha..I never looked at any

Kawaski..never really looked at them..

hope this helps

Old 12-02-1999, 03:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RandyA,
You didn't say whether your prospective ride was a 4x4 or a 4x2.I have a 96 KQ, which of course is a 4x4 & a 300cc (rated) and I know I'd never sell mine for $2500,so I'd say the price was not bad with low mileage, if the machine is in otherwise good shape. The 250cc isn't the quickest thing in the world but it would take you anywhere and bring you home again with or without a deer on the rack.I leaves something to be desired in the suspension dept., but the independant suspension makes up for the meager shock travel to a large degree. If you need durability and reliability and haven't a need fo speed, you'd be happy with the bike.I traded my 89 quadrunner for the 96 KQ so I guess that says something for owner satisfaction. I ride my Warrior most of the time but for the really gnarly stuff the KQ gets the nod.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org