Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

To Big?Too Powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2000, 12:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am 16 and looking for a new cheap quad for bashing around my house. My land is rather limited, so I'm probably not oing to be goin 50mph. I was just wondering if yuo think that a good sized atv such as a polaris sport 400 is too much for a new rider. I have seen it, and it realy dwarfs a blaster. Do you think it's power will make it hard to drive in a small area, or easy to roll around sharp turns? Would it make more sense to go with a blaster?

Old 01-07-2000, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

eighthmercury,
As you may or may not know, two strokes are designed to make power within a fairly limited band, especially the smaller ones such as the Blaster. As a result they don't really function well at lower "plunking" speeds such as you plan to do within your limited riding area.
My opinion is that you would be better served with a 4 stroke in the medium sized engine range (250-300cc) & possibly in a sport utility class. Many of these machines are quite sporty and since you are confined to your own immediate area, might be useful for work around the property.

------------------
THE AZ HARD PACKER, calmiller@kachina.net

save the public land FOR you, not FROM you..join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online @ www.sharetrails.org

Old 01-07-2000, 04:01 PM
Trailblazer

I think the 400 would work but you wouldnt have as much fun with it if your space is limited. Why don't you look at the Polaris Trailblazer 250 it would be fine for you. I have a 96 TB and it is an excellent quad good power, fast reliable, easy to work on. It is alot bigger than the Blaster but it handles very good at high speeds and it will jump too. It will last longer than the Blaster because it is built better.

Old 01-07-2000, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

The Trailblazer is the same price as the Blaster and you get more with it electric start, reverse, recoil backup, bigger engine. It is a great low priced quad.

Old 01-07-2000, 04:28 PM
Trailblazer

I have heard a lot of good things about the trailblazer, but I noticed that it is just as big (dimensions) as the sport 400, so why would it be better for a small area?
I thought a sport 400 or trailblazer would be less fun and easier to tip is a tight, but slow area.

Old 01-07-2000, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider

I agree I think the Trailblazer would be great. Why better than a Sport? With a Sport you may never use 1/2 the motors potential. The TB is the same size but the motor would be better suited to just putting around. If you get bored the little 2 stroke takes well to mods. Plus it's a full size quad. The rolling over because they are tall is a tail told by guys riding short Hondas. I can keep up with my friends Banshee & my brothers old 400EX just fine with my Scrambler. Sure it's no MXer, but it does just fine. The TB is a better quad than the Blaster. Much more for the money. Our TB hasn't made a peep reliability wise either. Gas & Go! (oil too)
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 01-07-2000, 07:31 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I am considering a Sport 400 because got a good deal on a '96. I just wanted to see if it would be good for a small area like the TB, because I can't find any good used TBs here in RI. The tipover concern is because two people have said they rolled on a sport 400; I'm assuming that they're just careless morons.
and oh yeah, thanks for your replies so far.

Old 01-07-2000, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

Another machine you might want to consider is the 300ex. It's small, light, good handling, and has reverse. It's also a 4-stroke so it's better for all-around use. It's not automatic, and it has a manual shift & clutch, but with some practice most begginers pick up fairly easy.

Old 01-07-2000, 10:34 PM
Pro Rider

Merc...
If the '96 Sport is in good shape & at a good price maybe even consider it. Yeah the motor may be way more than you need (right now) but most stock 2 stroke Polaris's seem to run fine even if they do just putter around. They are pretty good about not fouling plugs etc. Then again a new TB for $2995 isn't a bad deal either. The quad Adam suggested (300EX) is also a good choice.
c-ya,

------------------
Andrew Thomas

'99 Scrambler 400 & '99 Trailblazer, both with RCR mods.

Old 01-07-2000, 11:57 PM
Trailblazer

THANKS A LOT
All your advice was helpful, but ultimately my decision was based on a great deal for a, yes, a Blaster. It is an '89, but the engine was just profesionally rebuilt,4 new tires and rims,a complete set of new plastic, and it has a new DG pipe and silencer on it. I haven't ridden it much, but it seems really strong running. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you.

Quick Reply: To Big?Too Powerful?