Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Is there such a 4-wheeler out there?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2000, 03:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to purchase a 4-wheeler soon. I will be using it to ride on a farm, in the woods, over and through creeks/small streams, and even in some mountainous terrain. We occassionally get snow here in the south, so it needs to be able to handle that also. It will be used for playing around primarly and on camping trips. Asking the dealers opinion is worthless. I need the help of you folks. I would like to know what you people have had the best luck with. I have only looked at Yamahas and seem to be leaning towards a Beartracker w/ a winch. Help me out folks. Thanks a lot.

Old 08-28-2000, 04:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out all the Hondas (Rancher, Rubicon, Foreman) these three will all work great for your needs. You can put a winck on all of these and do a lot of other stuff to make it a great work, trail, mud, snow machine.

Old 08-28-2000, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider

BWilliams:
Is there a size requirement you are looking for (i.e. 300, 400, 500cc)? From what you plan to do with it, I would recommend going with a selectable 2wd/4wd, or even strait 4wd. I don't think I would go with anything smaller than a 300, and for farm work, that could even be a little small. One thing to look at is the racks and rack capacities. I tend to prefer a steel rack myself they tend to be tougher and can usually haul more. Basically, I'd go out and take a look at a bunch of different machines and compare the features you like the best of each. Try to get a good test ride of each machine you like, and see how it feels to you. Make sure you are comfortable on it, not cramped up or anything like that. You want it to be a pleasure to ride, not something you "have" to do. Then, depending on just who in the family will be riding deciding on manual vs. automatic would further narrow your choices. I would definately recommend getting a winch, as you mentioned. Not only will it come in handy around the farm for things such as fencing, but they're worth their weight in gold out in the rough. I prefer the Warn A2000 myself though others have had good luck with Superwinchs. Check out the different deals the various manufacturers are offering. Sometimes you can get a winch for very cheap, if not free when you buy a machine of a certain type. I think Arctic Cat is giving a Warn 2000 with the purchase of a certain model 'Cat. Suzuki has a deal for $49 Superwinch if you buy their specific model. Polaris has given Warn's away for free before, and Honda has also had similar deals, though I've only seen discounts of say 10-15% with them. Yamaha may have something of the sort as well, I don't know for sure. Anyhow, it is something to think about, and may effect your decision in the long run. Oh, another fairly important aspect is the actual dealer himself. Is he somebody you will be happy to deal with later for things like repairs and maintenance? Make sure they are friendly and treat you right. There are really good ones out there, they're just becoming more and more difficult to find.

Best of luck!

Mike

Old 08-28-2000, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

If you like Yamaha's, Take a look at the
kodiak 400 4x4. I think it has all the right features. Nice quad.

You do say, that you want an atv to work on the farm. That says allot! I suggest you look at the atv I own. The polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed. There is an article in the 4-wheel action magazine
september issue about it. Like the rabbit and ever ready batteries. It works all day and keeps going and going and going! You want some weight and some muscle on your atv to work on the farm plus it is fun to play with at the camp and this quad is a charm hunting. I grouse hunt with mine and it is great. Its a 4-stroke 5-speed so it will
climb. This past saturday, I drove it accross a river twice.

ps: Last winter I took it ice-fishing. I went to this one lake where in the course of the day, about 50 snowmobiles came by and the whole day there was only 1 atv in the whole area. my polaris xpedition 425 cc 5-speed. rangerchet -

I love the smell of the 4-stroke in the morning.

Bring a rope, I'll pull you out.

If you want to come in second, follow me.......

Old 08-28-2000, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

I'd say a Honda Rancher 4x4, or an Arctic-Cat 300 4x4...both good work machines.

GOOD LUCK ON BUYING ONE.

Old 08-29-2000, 01:23 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe a Wolverine?

You said you would be using mostly for playing and its a good combo or sport and utility, I am leaning toward one right now.

Old 08-29-2000, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

Do the Wolverines come with racks..or is it an option??

Old 08-30-2000, 08:30 AM
Trailblazer

Personally. I am "sold" on Honda! I had a '95 400 Foreman, now have a '99 450 Foreman. I don't think you will beat these machines for what you want! Also, the new Rancher 4x4 look real good to me!

Jim

Old 08-30-2000, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

Yes the new wolverines come with racks, but I wouldn't recommend it for farm use. It makes it's power in the higher rpm's.

Old 08-30-2000, 11:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

I OWN A 2000 RANCHER 2X4 ELECTRIC SHIFT AND LOVE IT.GOOD PULLING POWER,53MPH TOP END,PLENTY OF RACK SPACE,IN GENERAL GOOD IN EVERTHING.NEVER RODE 4X4 VERSION,BUT READ GOOD REVIEWS ON HONDAS 4X4 SYSTEM.TEST DRIVE THEM IF POSSIBLE,THATS WHAT SOLD ME.

Quick Reply: Is there such a 4-wheeler out there?