Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

'05 Predator - Troy Lee or Standard?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Predator - Troy Lee or Standard?

Well, me and my dad just got back from the dealer today and we were looking at the 05 Predators. I am going to be buying a new one as soon as I get my new job and I will make payments on it. Anyways, Im not sure what kind I want, the regular one or the TLD. I like the red color better but I like the front shocks better on the TLD one.

I will be doing some trail riding, some MX racing, hill climbs, etc.

Anyways, Ive heard that the close ratio tranny in the TLD isnt good. I heard it tops out each gear to fast, I dont know if this is true or not.

But anyways, I was talking to the dealer and they said they put the TLD front shocks on the regular one if I wanted for an extra $100.

I dont know which one I want though. Im thinking the regular one with the TLD front shocks. I dont know for sure though.

I will probably just buy the TLD Predator if the stuff Ive heard about the transmission isnt true. It will probably accelerate faster for MX. Also, how fast is a stock TLD Predator and a regular Predator? I imagine the close ratio tranny will take away some on top speed.

I would like some opinions on the TLD Predator and the regular Predator.

Anyways, is it true about them what the magazine says of how there is a big difference in gear ratio from 4th to 5th and when you shift up to 5th it kind of bogs down the engine and then once it reaches higher RPMs its fine. They also said it is very hard to get it into 5th due to the gears. I just read ATV Addiction and they said the TLD Predators arent geared right for the motor. Is this all true or not?

Keep in mind, I want these opinions from '05 TLD Predator owners or anybody that has rode one and got it into 5th gear only!

If all that stuff is true about the 05 TLD, then I will get the standard one, but I want the opinons on the TLD tranny and gearings from actually 05 TLD owners or people whove rode one.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

well i have an 04 pred but my friend has a 05 tld he likes it alot i have ridin it its gears are alot diferent then mine. it is really good at hill climbs its fifth gear is alittle slow than mine but over all it is a great machine.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

The main thing I want to know is if there is really that big gap between 4th-5th gear. All the magazines Ive been reading have been saying that when you shift up to 5th from 4th it feels like it is going to bog down, but once it gets into higer RPMs, it will be fine. Is this true or not?

Old 12-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes some what but what i find useful is to hold the clutch in just alittle bit longer and rev it then it should be fine.

Old 12-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

The main thing I want to know is if there is really that big gap between 4th-5th gear. All the magazines Ive been reading have been saying that when you shift up to 5th from 4th it feels like it is going to bog down, but once it gets into higer RPMs, it will be fine. Is this true or not?
No, it is not true. Me and some of the other guys did a write up about this a few weeks ago. Go to the Polaris section and do a search. You will find all the info you need on the subject.