Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

YFZ450, Predator, or Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default YFZ450, Predator, or Raptor

I know this has been asked a million times and after reading messages that go back like 4 months I still cant make my mind up. I live in an area that has LOTS of wide open space due to the town essentially being a new-construction area. The vast majority of the land is either 100+ acres of excavated dirt fields or very large farms that extend for miles.

Unfortunately, there are not alot of nearby trails to use. So my main riding would be in the big dirt fields. Theyre not very flat so I would need something that can safely handle high speed abuse. I also have no intentions of doing any MX racing. There are no sand dunes within 50 miles of me so that is not an option either.

I'm stuck deciding between the Raptor, Predator or YFZ450. I like the Raptor because of the power potential the engine has. I like the Predator because it seems be have a good mix between power and handling. And I like the YFZ450 because of it's great suspension. The Raptor scares me away because of the suspension upgrades I would need to do to make it handle like the other ATVs. I'm leery of the Predator because it just seems like the average of both, not alot of power and not the best suspension. And I like the YFZ but dont know if it would suit my needs since its essentially designed for MX racing.

I'm going to be doing alot of riding at 40-60mph but doubt that I will be going 70+mph on the dirt because of its unpredictable nature. What would be the ideal ATV for my needs?

Old 01-19-2005, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

Have you considered the 450r? I would add it to the list of possible options. Or maybe the z400, actually the z400 sounds like it might be pretty good for the type of riding that you plan 2 do.

Old 01-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

i set out initially to buy a 660 raptor.. then starting reading about the yamaha 450.. after going to a dealer that sold them both.. i then noticed the 500 predator.. thats what i chose. The Predator was a better fit for me and about the same price as a raptor but less then the 450.
things i have learned.
1. after hitting 4th gear the predator and raptor will pull away from the 450. in the 1/4 mile the raptor is faster only by a fraction of second.
2. tight trails or closed course the 450 is best for this, the predator is next followed by the raptor.
3. the 450 is a smaller quad so depending on your size you may not feel comfortable on it.

so basically you have this:
fastest top end: 660 Raptor
quickest and lightest: 450
best all around: Predator 500
im saying its the best all around because it can keep up with the raptor in the top end and stay with the 450 on a closed course.

im sure there will people who are going to come on here and say im wrong.. well thats fine. im 42 years old and have been riding atvs for longer then most of these people have been alive. i have no brand loyality and could care less what you are anyone else wants to spend their money on. the information i have posted here are things i have learned by reading lots of reviews, by talking to the dealers who sell them and my years of personal experience.

good luck in picking out the quad.. and i hope you enjoy it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: HocusPocus
i set out initially to buy a 660 raptor.. then starting reading about the yamaha 450.. after going to a dealer that sold them both.. i then noticed the 500 predator.. thats what i chose. The Predator was a better fit for me and about the same price as a raptor but less then the 450.
things i have learned.
1. after hitting 4th gear the predator and raptor will pull away from the 450. in the 1/4 mile the raptor is faster only by a fraction of second.
2. tight trails or closed course the 450 is best for this, the predator is next followed by the raptor.
3. the 450 is a smaller quad so depending on your size you may not feel comfortable on it.

so basically you have this:
fastest top end: 660 Raptor
quickest and lightest: 450
best all around: Predator 500
im saying its the best all around because it can keep up with the raptor in the top end and stay with the 450 on a closed course.

im sure there will people who are going to come on here and say im wrong.. well thats fine. im 42 years old and have been riding atvs for longer then most of these people have been alive. i have no brand loyality and could care less what you are anyone else wants to spend their money on. the information i have posted here are things i have learned by reading lots of reviews, by talking to the dealers who sell them and my years of personal experience.

good luck in picking out the quad.. and i hope you enjoy it! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Actually I planned on saying the same thing. I always suggest the Pred because I rode one and loved it. Plenty of power and speed (and I'm used to 250cc motocross bikes) and great handling. I agree the YFZ would have the best stock handling, but for the price, I'd rather buy a Predator Troy Lee with very nice suspension, and the longest travel, and with the money I saved over buying a YFZ, add front wheels spacers for a bit better handling. You can probably add a few more extras and still not go over the price of a YFZ, or 450R. I would love to own a YFZ or 450R, but the price is what keeps me away. I vote Predator. Goodluck.

Old 01-21-2005, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

I was considering getting a Raptor cause two of my buddies now have Predators and I was looking for a faster quad than what I have but didn't want to get the same thing they have. The more I looked into it, as nice as the Raptors are, they're just not for me. If I was to buy now it would have to be a Predator but I'll just keep my 400EX till maybe Honda puts E start on the 450R or whatever else the future may bring..............[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 11:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Own a YFZ, and have never ridden a Raptor or Pred. I do think that the Pred may be just what you are looking for. They seem to be built pretty tough(lifetime warranty on axle/swingarm, plus douglas wheels, maxxis tires)) have softer, longer travel suspension than the YFZ, and it is wider to boot. I'm sure the Pred owners will chip in to verify or not.