Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Havent found it yet..

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Havent found it yet..

I have been looking through the past posts and have still not found a situation that is lexactally ike mine. Im 21, 6ft, 190lbs, and new to ridding. I have ridden quads and dirt bikes a few times but not regularally. My friends are getting into this and and my girl and I would like to get more involved as well (one hell of a blast) . So far I am looking at the raptor 660, 400ex or 450r, and the Preditor. I live in Oregon and will be mostly ridding dunes and trails. Some fireroads and such in the desert as well. I want to get something big enough that i wont have to sell and buy a new on in a year as i gain more expierence. It sounds like I'm leaning towards the raptor though the top heavyness and wheelies somewhat imtimidate me. I don't really know anyone who currently has a quad not in Iraq so any help would be much appreciated. price is somewhat of a concideration as is with probably everyone but i am not going to let it hold me back from the right quad.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A DS650 might be worth looking at also

Old 01-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

I guess I should clarify that I am mostly interested in sand performance and choice according to my size as the other stuff is somewhat covered though imput would still be appreciated. Sorry for another one of "these type" posts. i really appreciate all help.

Old 01-25-2005, 01:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

The DS just seems too spendy (7,000) compared to 61 is a big diff to me. Plus it apears to me that it is like the cadilla of quads(am I wrong) kinda big and plush as opposed to sporty and trail friendly.

Avram

Old 01-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

Lots of dunners really like the DS it responds well to mods and has great suspension travel. The Z400 & 400ex make great trail quads. The raptor is good a trails and would be better in the dunes than the 400's. Put a rear axle in the raptor and it make a big difference on the tippeness. The 450r is a good trail quad but has no reverse and is a higher strunge quad, but has a lot more preformance. The banshee is an alright trail quad but would kick a$$ in the dunes.

Old 01-25-2005, 03:32 AM
Pro Rider

Im about your size and love my DS and ride only trails. Sometimes I would like reverse and a smaller quad but the DS just fits me a lot better. I would say at least go and sit on all the quads you like and see which one fits the best. I bought my DS at a Bomb/Yamaha dealer. Sat on the 450 and the raptor and liked them. Then walked up to the DS, sat on it and told them I would take it when I was still sitting on it. If I went to the dunes more there is no way I would trade it for any other quad. Trails are the DS only downfall and even then its not much of one. Just depends what you really want and like.

Old 01-25-2005, 08:32 AM
Pro Rider

I would say out of the quads you listed...........The Raptor is the LAST choice. Not that its a bad quad but the words begginer and Raptor don't belong in the same sentence if you know what I mean. The 400EX is a nice quad but after a while you will want more power especially if you ride with bigger quads. The 450R would be sweet if you can justifie spending $6500 on a quad that you have to kick and from what I've seen you will be kicking alot. Predator is your best choice IMO. Lots of power but very stable. Don't let the fact that its a Polaris scare you too bad. Just get an 04 or newer...................... .02

Old 01-25-2005, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Out of the quads you listed, I'd go with the Raptor. I too think you'd want something more if you got a 400ex. Its a good , reliable quad but I don't think its for you. Because of your size, the Raptor would suit you well. Experience comes with time. If you take it easy at first you will get the hang of things in no time. You stated you have some experience on dirt bikes and some on quads. I think you will be OK.

Old 01-26-2005, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thankyou for all the help. So far I am leaning towards the preditor searching between here and the sand forum. The raptor is still a close second. I will sit on a bombidier and see if it "tickels my pickle" though. My next step before bying mine is to figure something for my girl too...segestions? no rapter...she's only 5'6'...maybe a warrior? some kind of 250? will those still make it on the dunes?

Old 01-26-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

I think one of the 400 would be good for her. That is what my gf is thinking of buying

Quick Reply: Havent found it yet..