Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions

Hey Guys,
First time here. I'm looking for a quad to get my Wife so she can join me and the kids on trail rides. Me and the kids have dirt bikes and I am having a hard time figuring out which machine to get her. It's only gonna get used a few times a year and it won't be ridden real hard. I have it down to 3 machines that will keep us in the $3200 range. All are 2 wheel drive. We don't need a 4X4 nor do we need a big CC engine. The choices are
1. Polaris Trailblazer 250
2. Honda Recon 250ES
3 Arctic Cat 250

The Polaris has almost twice the suspention travel as the others and if full auto with linked brakes which will be great for a new rider. This is my first choice. Any reason to choose one of the others over the Polaris?

Old 02-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions

Hello KTM625SXC. My wife and I have Trailblazers. I think that if your wife goes out and rides the three quads, she will pick the Trailblazer hands down. It has much longer suspension travel than any of the other three and more than most. This makes for a very plush ride. My wife says it rides like a marshmallow. It has an automatic transmission that makes driving it very easy. She will never have to decide what gear she should be in. The braking system is a single hand brake lever that applies hydraulic disc brakes simultaneously to all wheels instead of a front brake lever and rear brake pedal with mechanical brakes. It is much more intuitive for the casual rider. It has a wider track than either of the other two for better stability. It has wider rear tires for better traction. It has steel braided hydraulic brake lines for safety. If she is a little adventurous, she will find that she can shoot through the 1 and 2 foot whoops because of the long legged suspension and excellent balance. I was suprised my wife does it. My wife is only 5'4' and 130lbs. She is a very cautious driver. Before we bought, I looked at the other two quads and many, many more. I finally settled for the reasons above.
I hope this helps you.
BryceGTX

Old 02-14-2005, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Opinions

Thanks, You had all the same reasons I did. I do however find it hard to understan how it weighs 460lbs?

What year GTX? I have a 68 R/T

Old 02-15-2005, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions

Thats an excellent question KTM625SXC. I think one reason is that the same frame is used on the Scrambler 500 and the year older 400 2x4. In my mind this makes it an indestructable frame with a 250 in it. Although it is heavier than the Recon by 40 pounds, it is lighter than the Artic Cat by 70 pounds. I am not sure what to glean from that. On one hand, it seems that the heavier quads tend to have more robust components. On the other hand some people would rather have light quads. Seems there are arguments both ways. Another point is that both the Trailblazer and Artic Cat are rated to tow 850 pounds. Not sure what the Recon is rated for. One last point about weight. After you add a 150 pound rider and 25 pounds of fluids, a weight difference of 40 pounds only represents only a 7% difference in weight.
I hope this helps you
BryceGTX
Is your R/T a Coronet or Charger? My Dad worked at Highland park engine development up until 1977. Those were great years! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Opinions

My R/T is a Coronet, Just sold a 1970 440+6 Road Runner. You said that you also ride a TB right? One of the other reasons for choosing the TB is because it's a "Full Size" machine that I could let a few of my bikeless buddies ride. Do you feel it hauls you around good enough?

Old 02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions

Hey KTM625SXC. Sounds like your R/T is a sweet ride. I'll bet the 440 six pack was wicked fast! As far as our Trailblazers, yep they have no problem hauling us around. Fact is, it will take you up most any hill you have the nerve to point it at. And if it can't make it up, it won't be caused by lack of power, it will be lack of traction. The only hills I have had gotten stuck on are the steep dunes. It only makes it so far, then it just digs two holes with the rear tires. But you pretty much need paddles for those hills on any quad. If your curious about its power, look at my pics. (camera just below my name) I have one showing my quad with snow blade and chains. I was quite amazed at the power of this quad. Clearly it does not have the acceleration of a 4 or 500, but you won't be bored either.
Have a great day
BryceGTX

Old 02-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Opinions

Thanks alot Bryce,
You sealed the deal and I think I'll pick up a Trailblazer. BTW...How well does it push snow? Did you fab up the mount?

Old 02-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Default Opinions

I'll tell you what KTM625SXC, when I was younger, I spent quite a few years plowing the parents drive with a John deere hydrostatic lawn tractor (18hp if I remember right). I had to plow a 200yd drive. It had chains and wheel weights for additional traction. I was quite suprised that the quad has similar push capabilities. It always is more of a question of traction than power. Seems with both the quad and the Deere, that I lose traction long before I lose power. I never really bought the quad to push snow, but I found the brand new blade at an auction for $100. So I bought on a whim. I built the mount and hand lift myself. Turns out, it is so much easier using the quad than the snow blower that I wouldn't hesitate to get a blade again. The most snow I have pushed so far is about 10 inches with a few 18 inch drifts. So far, no problem. One key point I learned about pushing snow with the quad is air up the front tires to 6 psi (so they turn easier) and air down the back tires to 3 psi for more traction. I think your wife will be very happy with this quad. I know both myself and my wife are thrilled with ours.
I hope this helps you.
BryceGTX