Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

EX, TRX, YZF, Raptor.....I'm friken stuck???

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EX, TRX, YZF, Raptor.....I'm friken stuck???

I hate to be repetative with all the other, "help me, what should I buy forums" but I'm having a hard time filtering through the past forums to get exactly what I want answered. Obviously the salesman are no help because they've got a story for everything. I need some real hands on opinions for my situation. Here we go; I am 6'4" 265 lbs, I want a sport 2wd quad and I'm debating between the 400 EX, TRX450, YZF450, and the Raptor 660. I do mostly trail and dune riding. I have been a "2 wheeler" up until now (I got my fiance a Blaster and she loves it and wants me to get a quad-I'll pick my battles!) I've always been a Yamaha fan, but what I've been reading is "Yamahas are fast, but Hondas last".....how much of this is true? I really want something that lasts vs. being the fastest-I'm not trying to race, just ride and have fun. Let me know guys, thanks in advance!!

Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

well since you are a taller guy i suggest the trx i am only 6' 2" and the yfz fell cramped to but thats my opinion so i am going with the raptor or 450r

Old 03-15-2005, 09:46 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO the 400 class bikes are too small for a guy as big as you, with your size you'll be much more comfortable on a big bore like the Raptor. Since you state you will be trail riding most of the time, you'll like the electric start and reverse of the raptor along with a more trail-friendly width.

As for the yamaha/honda statement, it has some truth to it. Yamahas are better performers but hondas last longer. That said, its not like you'll be wrenching on the yamaha every weekend. If you dip into the engine you're going to have to mess with the bike more often regardless of which machine you pick up. In stock trim all four of these bikes are very reliable, just because the 400ex runs forever doesnt make the other three junk.

Old 03-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reliability wise, the quads are close to the bikes per manufacturer. I think overall Yamaha has a technology edge over Honda when it comes to engines. It sounds like the Raptor should be a front runner for you as it has a bit more room to stretch out on for a big guy. Then, just to muddle things up a bit, have you looked at the Polaris? I am real impressed with the 05 Predator and think it is worthy of consideration. Then again, maybe you should stick with the 450r. Then you won't have to buy the fiance a new quad when you have reverse and e-start and she is kicking starting her Yammie.

Old 03-16-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

Hey ty1668. You may want to ditch all those quads and look at a Bombardier DS650 instead. It is bigger, wider, roomier and has more suspension travel that any of them.
I hope this helps [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 03-16-2005, 09:20 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First off, replace your 400EX option with the Z400. They have the same MSRP, but the Z has way more motor! You are a big guy, and I think you will find the YFZ kind of cramped. (In fact, you might find all of these a little cramped.) I personally find the Raptor to be top heavy and tippy. I would have to spend big $$$ to widen one. The Honda 450 likes to rev and is geared tall. It is great in the dunes, but would need some gearing changes for tight trails. I find the DS to be cumbersome out on the trail. At your weight, no matter what you pick, you might need some tuned aftermarket suspension.

No real clear choices here! What you need is a Honda 650EX!

Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

You asked for some hands on experience and opinions. I have been riding all these quads for 15 years. You can see that I have owned 250R's, Banshee, Raptor, and Predator (also the old Suzuki LT250R). I have at least three or more long rides on each of the the DS650, the Z400, 400EX, the Honda 450R, and the YFZ450. Many of my friends own these various quads.

First, the new DS650 is much improved over older models, and big guys (like you and bigger) really like it. (It's too big for me.)
But the DS650 is also a bit too big for trails, and no fun to turn around by hand. It's good in the dunes....I would at least consider it because of your size.

Because of your size, the 400EX is OUT. Also the Z400 is OUT. Too small and not enought power for you.

I also think you will find the YFZ450 to be too small for you as well. It is one of the best dune machines, a top racer, but not as good on the trails. It will beat you up, and run hot, on the trails. It's a high rever with too much engine vibration. The thumb throttle is a bear, and the suspension must be modified to be comfortable. It lacks the low end torque that helps on the trail. Also, you would need to add a Pipe and Silencer, rejet, and airbox mod to make the YFZ 450 what you want, powerwise. No reverse.

The Honda 450R is just slightly slower than the YFZ (not much at all), but it has a broader powerband and is better on the trail. It is a more comfortable machine and would fit your size better than the YFZ. You do have to kick start, but it always started on the first kick for me. I have seen others struggle to start it. No reverse. You would definitely want to buy it with the $600 Cam Kit installed, you need that power to be happy with the 450R. Immediately gear down one tooth up front. Better quality that the YFZ...JMO. Honda always does a good job of counterbalancing their engines. This really helps the 450R run smooth and promotes longer reliable.
(Yamaha does not worry about counterbalancing. And don't forget Yamaha went from 1989 to 2004 without making a single factory design improvement to the Banshee...so that doesn't ring of Yamaha quality. The Banshee vibration is terrible, the YFZ not good, and the Raptor is not too bad.)

The Raptor is a possibility for you....your fit might be OK....put wheel spacers on the back to get rid of the tippiness, no problem. In the sand, run offset front sand tires. Wheely king! Mods can add much power. Good in the dunes, not the best. Rated second to the Predator on the trails (by Dirt Wheels, Iagree...JMO). New models have bugs out and are pretty reliable. Handling is just OK. Comfort is just OK.

My favorite all time quad is the Predator. Rated #1 on the trails, great in the dunes. Great steering, great suspension, great handling. Most all-around comfortable quad I have ridden. JMO. Not as quick (stock) as the 450s, but close. Plenty of mods available to catch up with the 450's speed. Immediately go two teeth larger in the rear, and add a new CDI box (easy and not too expensive to do.) I beat some 450's, some beat me (and I don't have a pipe on yet!). Bugs are now out and this is a quality quad, right there with the Honda. I think it would fit you, but some complain about the seat shape, so sit on it and try it. I don't like the gray, the red is great, but they now also have choice of plastic colors.

Get a ride on all of these that you can....at least make sure the fit is good. I prefer Honda quality over Yamaha quality any day....JMO

They're all good. Hope this "experience" at least helps you know what to look for. Have Fun!

Old 03-20-2005, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all for helping me with my decision! I brought home a 2004 LTZ400 today and with just a quick few loops in the neighborhood...I love it! I felt the most comfortable out of all the bikes on this. The Raptor was too high and the 400ex is too small. The 450's rock, but not for what I'm going to be doing. Most of my riding is with my loving wife, not a drag race at the dunes. Thanks again and I'll keep posting what I experience with the LTZ400.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ty, congrats on the new ride. Suzukis have always been good to me, and the Z is a quad most everyone holds in high regard. I am sure you will be quite happy with it!

Old 03-23-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

Sweet, we just got our 05' yesterday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'm sure we'll love the bike

Quick Reply: EX, TRX, YZF, Raptor.....I'm friken stuck???