Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

buying a predator horror story

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a predator horror story

so Ive been in the market for a predator. I find a 04 used one at the local dealer that looks good and priced about book. I talk to the salesman and come to find out that it was a employees of the dealership. He told me that he wanted to sell it quick to get a new bike. he went down on the price quite abit. i test drove it and was impressed with it. I had a sales order written up so i could go to the bank. My loan officer says that the vin was to small for a 04 predator. I make a call to the local state police and find out that this is a vin for a brand title. or a salvage title. I call up the man selling it and he said that it had a new frame and a new motor. he said the frame had a crack and the motor second gear was bad on the 03's. I asked him if it was an 03 or an 04. he saud that it was an 03 and after a new frame and motor the brand title said 04. I called the bank to tell them about this bull crap and they said that because of the title the thing was worth about $1300 less then the guy was asking. Im grad that my loan officer new there stuff.

Old 03-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Range Rover

That's terrible. I can't believe those a-holes actually tried to get blue book. Sounds like your loan officer saved you a lot of headaches. No way would I do business with them again. I know the dealership in Lewiston, ID is reputable, but that isn't really close to you. Buying a used quad is difficult unless you know the history and owner of the bike or are a seasoned veteran with a mechanical background. Maybe forking out an extra grand for a new '05 would be worth it in the end. Plus they have reverse. Don't underestimate the value of that wonderful gear.

Old 03-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats fraud, file a complaint with the state police or local police. They claimed it was a newer bike then it was, etc.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I am a bit confused so maybe someone can enlighten me... If I brake a frame and replace it, does the VIN go with the Frame? Would I get a new VIN on the new frame? The VIN goes with the title... so it is questionable what they have pulled off here.....

Sounds to me like they took a couple salvage machines and put them together... depending on the title they have, it is questionable if they indeed have broken the law. A quick call to the DMV might answer that question. It would be interesting to see if the VIN on the motor matches the title... you could be dealing with stolen parts...

Either way, the dealer was being extremely shady with his dealings with you... that would tend to make me look elsewhere...

In the automotive industry,. they call them chop shops....

Old 03-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

well. I went with an TLD predator today. no screwy vin or anything on this one. plus it was from a more reputable dealership up north in Rexburg. Im grad I didnt get suckered in on the other quad. I hope that everyone catchs this before these fools get away with it.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

Congrats!............The Predator is an awesome quad! I ride with two Preddys. You'll be grad you got it!.................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-27-2005, 04:16 PM
Trailblazer

so it looks like this guy may have bought a wrecked insurance claimed machine and built it up at there shop. He says he didnt but he works at the dealer for crying out loud. and know to try and sell it at 04 book price. so I called the local state patrol again and reported what i believe was taking place. they were not to happy and said they would investigate.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:17 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

What do you want to bet the machine disapears.... I am surprised to find a dealer who would handle such a machine... it could jeapardize his license and perhaps land him in jail. Not exactly the kind of business I would want to bless with my hard earned cash... I think you did the right thing by reporting it. We need to get these people out of the business. There is a huge black market for stolen quads and parts these days...