Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

More of the same question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More of the same question...

I Raced open desert for years,on a 250 quadracer. I was "King of the hill" at Blowsand in Ocotillo Wells, Ca (a woopty filled-sandy circle track on the side of a mountain) back in the late 80's. I've had bikes-3 wheelers- odysies- sand drags ect. ect. I'm ready to make my return to tearing up the Desert. What is the baddest-fastest-nimblest machine made? cost is no matter. Is there someplace that lists HP of the diff bikes available on the market?

Old 05-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

450r, 250r, lt500, yfz450, banshee, raptor, v-force, A.T.K, or gas-gas

Old 05-15-2005, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider
To ATV Thieves: "Hope you guys flip and die douches!"

All those listed above, but it also depends what kind of power do you want, and were do you want it.

Old 05-15-2005, 04:25 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you wanting to get back into desert racing, or do you just want to have the baddest bike at the sand drags??

My choice is the 450R. Mine is set up for open desert, and that is the only place I ride it! I wouldn't have anything else.

Take a look at http://www.off-road.com/. Look at the picture galeries from past races and see what's being ridden out there, and check race results for what is winning (if you are interested in organized racing).

Old 05-15-2005, 04:27 AM
Elite Pro Rider

If you just want to get it and leave it fairly stock, go with a yfz or trx 450. If you are going to stick some $$$ into it and keep it in the desert and dunes, I'd go with a DS 650 or a banshee.

Old 05-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Red Rider

For example-

http://www.off-road.com/atv/race/200...50/wrapup.html Eichner wins on the 450R!

What you see mostly out there are: 450R, YFZ450, Z400, DS, Raptors

Old 05-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, Lots of responces in just one day! Great advice too. Thank you guys for your input.
I dont see the LT500 listed at suzuki, They must have discontinued it? It apears the fourstokes have the market nowdays. Im still trying to get a refighned direction, Are all those models really that close?.

87250xman said: 450r, 250r, lt500, yfz450, banshee, raptor, v-force, A.T.K, or gas-gas
V-force? ATK? Gas-Gas? Where do I find info on these machines?

YFZ660R said: All those listed above, but it also depends what kind of power do you want, and were do you want it.
This is What I'm talkin about!

And reconranger , for suggesting that I check the Race Results to see whos winning on what bikes, Good advice! Thanks for the links.

anyone got a line on aftermarket machines?

Thanks again....Exodus

Old 05-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Red Rider

Wow, I can tell you have been away for a while! Suspension has improved greatly, so you will love that. 2-strokes have fallen by the wayside because of the clean air regulations. There aren't many 2-valve 4-strokes left anymore either.

4-stroke engines are not what they use to be at all! Displacement means nothing unless you are comparing engines of the same design. The two 450's (Honda TRX and Yamaha YFZ) are a whole new generation. These are VERY high revving engines, that use way modern technology. The engines and the bikes are light, and will give you the best power-to-weight ratio. They are somewhat 2-stroke like in their powerbands, and they are getting 50 horsepower out of these engines in dirt bikes (quads get somewhat detuned versions). I love these engines!

Most other competitive 4-strokes (like the Z400, Raptor, DS, etc.) are overhead cam, multi valve designs.

On any machine, you are going to want to widen it to ~50". That will mean a-arms, aftermarket shocks, and wider axle. And, full chassis and swingarm skid plates, bumper, etc. I run ITP Baja rims with ITP XC tires, though I have run taller XCT's in the past. A large capacity IMS desert tank (dry break if you race). I always run nerf bars as well.

Old 05-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Cool! Thanks. I have fallen in love.....She's a YFZ.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:50 AM
Red Rider

My buddy just broke the swingarm on his YFZ (big X shaped crack right down the middle), and previously had cracks in the welds where the footpegs attach to the frame!

Quick Reply: More of the same question...