Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Suzuki KQ vs. Yamaha Grizzly

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 03:57 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suzuki KQ vs. Yamaha Grizzly

MercuryNewt:

That's cool...........thanks for the take regarding the ride of both machines. Where in KY-land are you from? I was born and raised near Luavull; been in CA for about six years now. I'll be travelling back that way for the holidays to visit the family later this year, and I am thinking about swinging by Abernathy's to pick up a Grizz if I decide to go that route. I haven't been able to find a decent deal on the KQ out here. The best I've seen so far is about $6,900.00. A Grizz can be had back that way for less than $6K. Where are you buying your KQ from, and what kind of OTD price are you having to give if you don't mind me asking?

dshoe

Old 08-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Another boy from the ville! Yeah, Abernathy's really can't be beat on price for Yamaha or Honda and that's where I'd be headed if I were going that route. There's a place in Harrodsburg, KY called Lee's Inc. and they have the best price I've seen thus far on the KQ. A buddy and I are looking at just under $7K tax,title,reg and a winch installed. So, what are you doing in California? Military?

Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

ide go with the grizz becuase its proven and the kq hasnt yet and what do u need that much power for. the grizz can do the same thing. garanteed

Old 08-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Range Rover

MercuryNewt - No, I came out this way after graduating college (Murray State), took work, and have been here ever since. Nice place when thinking in terms of outdoor opportunities, but yet much different in many ways when compared to back there. As with anything else, both have their advantages and disadvantages. I have a good friend that bought a Kawasaki P700 a couple of years ago. I believe the place you mentioned in Harrodsburg might be where he bought it. It was somewhere around that area anyway. The price you mentioned on the KQ from them sounds good. An OTD price on a KQ at the local dealer here is just over $7,700 right now. That's for a 2005 model, too. Rip off... I might have to checkout Lee's when I'm back that way for the holidays. Thanks for the info, by the way!

bbatvr - I like the Grizz a lot. But, even though it has been around for a long time, and you might be able to argue the fact that with that time all or many of the bugs have been worked out, you still hear about folks having quite a bit of trouble with them. For example, read the Yamaha and Suzuki forums on this site and look for info specific to the Grizz and KQ. I have done that, and I have noticed a lot more people complaining about their Grizz bikes than I have people complaining about their KQ bikes. So, I still don't know, yet. As I either recently mentioned in this thread, or another thread.......it's going to be a tough decision. In the meantime, I'll keep researching...

Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't buy a Grizzly now since they are suposed to be improved for the 07 model year, they are behind in innovation and power in comparision to the KQ, I considered the Grizzly a few months ago when I was shopping for a big bore, and I am very glad I got the KQ now I haven't had any problems, including the reverse issue nothing has even broken yet after 575 miles. I know now if I would got the Grizzly I would have wished I got the KQ. But you really should look around for a cheaper price, $7700 OTD is crazy with the 06 models not to far away. Is that with any accesories?

Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Range Rover

No, no accessories added at that OTD price of a little over $7,700. Just a stock bike. The MSRP on the 2005 is $7,200, if I remember correctly. The local dealer has the remaining stock of 2005 KQ's on sale for $6,900. Add sales tax, about $250 for set-up fees, about $40 for documentation prep fees, CA DMV sticker fees of about $25, and a CA tire fee of around $20 I think it is, and you get around $7,700 OTD.

That's why I prefer a place like Abernathy's back near home. Price of the bike and sales tax, and basically that's it. Although, I will still have to pay the CA DMV fee regardless of where I buy the quad. Probably that damn CA tire fee, too. But, no dealer doc and/or set-up fees that way. And, supposedly a lot of better dealer prices (price breaks) back east, too.

Old 08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

dshoe,

Keep in mind that Abernathy's is in Tennessee, which should mean no sales tax for you.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Trailblazer

MercuryNewt and I just walked out the door with two new King Quads this past Wednesday with a winch for quite a bit cheaper than mentioned here, under $7 out the door.

Old 08-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Pro Rider

KQ-sealed rear braking and EFI around $6000 on 05's here now. I wish I bought one instead of my Pooplaris.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 AM
Range Rover

MercuryNewt and beardman - Congrats on the new KQ's. Thanks for that dealership info, too. I'll have to check that place out when I'm back home for the holidays. They should have 06's in by then.

Quick Reply: Suzuki KQ vs. Yamaha Grizzly