Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Name My ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:30 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Name My ATV

Hi all,
I interested in buying a replacement for my 1988 moto4, but after much research, I still don't know what I want. I know I want a utility/sport quad, something around the 400cc range. 4WD would be nice...something with a smooth ride, and I would like a top speed somewhere around 55-60mph to keep up with my buddies. It also has to be reasonably priced. Manual or Auto, I have no preference. I have looked at the Outlander 400s, but they are a tad on the expensive side. Kodiaks look ok, but they are a bit lacking in the power department I'm told. I definately want something that has some "get up and go".

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-18-2005, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Name My ATV

Yamaha has a Wolverine with at 421 engine, 4 WD and Auto. Might be worth a look.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Name My ATV

For my taste, the whole crop of utilities tend to be way to heavy, large, and clumsy. That is why I stick to the smaller, lighter, more nimble machines like the Honda Rancher.

My buddy has an Outlander 400, and compared to my Rancher it handles clumsy. The ride is cush, but it is heavy (top heavy!) and tippy in tight turns. A death trap in my opinion!

If you don't need racks, the Wolverine might be worth a look???

Old 10-18-2005, 06:16 PM
Range Rover
Default Name My ATV

Well my Kodiak tops out just past 50 (I'm 300 lbs) so not quite your target but there are mods you could do to get to 60. The kody isn't built for speed but it's a hell of a work machine.

It's an auto which is real nice in the winter when you have on warm boots and gloves.

The 2005's have IRS so the ride should be pretty nice (my solid rear axle isn't bad by any means).

Don't rule it out simply because of what you've heard, at least give it a test ride befor you decide.

Not sure what the price is on the outty 400 but I hear they have some good power 28hp I believe, that's allot for a 400. I'ts suppose to be a real nice machine.

Don't rush your decision!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Name My ATV

My buddy has an Outlander 400, and compared to my Rancher it handles clumsy. The ride is cush, but it is heavy (top heavy!) and tippy in tight turns>>>>>>>

There is no comparison, the Outlander kicks the Rancher in ever single category........My friends 13 year old daughter rides around on mine like a champ. On BRP's website the Rancher couldn't even move the pull sled off the starting block.

The Wolverine is heavier then my DS and only 80 lbs lighter then the Outlander.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Default Name My ATV

CaRider, seeing it's a death trap, please ride it as much as you can!!! Seriously, sharp turns that are nothing on the Rancher, send the Outlander up onto two wheels......or worse. I'll pass this one up, thanks.

Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Name My ATV

CaRider, seeing it's a death trap, please ride it as much as you can!!! Seriously, sharp turns that are nothing on the Rancher, send the Outlander up onto two wheels......or worse. I'll pass this one up, thanks.
>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;

Interesting, never experienced this.........must be the rider. The Rancher is gutless man. Great beginner ATV, it was almost my first, but simply inadequate IMO. BTW, Outlander is IRS Rancher is solid axle, apples and oranges and probably has more to do with your two wheel experience then anything else.

I am disappointed Yamaha couldn't keep the weight down on the Wolverine, it's almost the perfect mid range sport/ATV.

Old 10-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default Name My ATV

I've just started checking out the Polaris Scambler 500. What do you guys think about these machines? I was wondering about the chain drive vs. shaft drive. What are the differences?

Old 10-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Name My ATV

Originally posted by: swampdonkey5
I've just started checking out the Polaris Scambler 500. What do you guys think about these machines? I was wondering about the chain drive vs. shaft drive. What are the differences?
Heavy, underpowered, poor handling but a great idea. Chain drive is more tuneable, but shaft drive eliminates a lot of maintenance and possible headaches down the road. Chain has a front and rear sprocket and a drive chain. Open to the elements and subject to rust, breakage, sprocket and chain wear, and also lowers ground clearance out back. But its tuneable and consumes less hp than a shaft drive.

Old 10-21-2005, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Name My ATV

Originally posted by: swampdonkey5
If you're going to go that big you might also want to take a look at the KFX700. It's about the same length and height as a Scrambler. But it's also about 40 lbs lighter.