Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help! - Update!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help! - Update!

Please not that I said Bombardier ATVnot their whole watercraft/snowmobile division. All I'm saying is I feel that one should look at a company like Suzuki first exspecially when the Eiger is cheaper. Suzuki has been making ATV/bikes for years and I'm just saying I wouldn't recommend a Bomb ATV over a Suzuki to anyone, they are relatively new to the ATV industry and UTCoyote plans on purchasing two, so relability would be a big issue in this and I'd feel a lot better about having a Suzuki or even a Yamaha.

Old 12-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Jaybee, I am not trying to take sides or be full of it. I was just in two days prior looking to get a new wheeler and was interested in the eiger. What I stated in my post was what he told me. I was just repeating. And since he is only looking at the eiger and the outty It does not leave me with much of a choice, now does it. I prefer independent suspension due to back injuries.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well CJ, at least I left the BS option with either you OR your Suzuki dealer.

Your dealer certainly has some problems, or at least this one sales guy does. Hard to imagine them dissing their own product, especially one that has been a virtually trouble-free best seller for four years now. Suzuki just cranked out unit number 100,000 on the Eigers. Can't imagine any 'zuki dealer not wanting a piece of that.

In your last post, you'd been riding an Eiger for almost a year and didn't like it's lack of low end power. Sounds like it wasn't your machine but if that Eiger could not pull through the mud then there is something wrong with it. Even in high range, the Eiger will pull a decent mud run, put it in low where it's supposed to be for deep mud and it's main limitation is a lack of dif lock, not power to the wheels.

If you check back on the posts in this thread, you'll see that most (including myself) feel that the Outy 400 is a better machine than the Eiger. However if you are comparing at MSRP, the Eiger is a better deal, especially since the original post was about the value of purchasing two.

Jaybee

Old 12-21-2005, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey thats no problem. The dealer was not happy with the model anymore. He was just saying that the 400 was good for people wanting to get in to the wheeler scene but he did not like it and was basically going to keep it out of his shop unless someone ordered it and he would not charge setup. He just had a bunch of bad luck with some he received.

I just felt that the eiger was OK at mid and top end ranges but when it came to getting out of the mud and doing some real work it did not seem to have what I thought it should have. I will go back and check some of the past posts. Thanks alot.

Enjoy the ride man.

Old 12-21-2005, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

If you want to talk about lack of power try riding a Polaris 400 for 2 years, it simply wasn't enough. Don't get me wrong it was still fun, but it ALWAYS left more to be desired with. I just personally wouldn't buy a 400cc ute expecting much in the power department, but I have heard that the Eiger is the quickest and best value in it's class.

Old 12-21-2005, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

wouldn't recommend a Bomb ATV over a Suzuki to anyone, they are relatively new to the ATV industry and UTCoyote plans on purchasing two, so relability would be a big issue in this and I'd feel a lot better about having a Suzuki or even a Yamaha. >>>>>>>>>

Are you speaking from personal experience having been a Bombardier owner? Do you know the DS650 is one of the most reliable ATV's on the market? Suzuki doesn't make anything close to this quad for comparison sake. You have no clue what you are talking about.

Gent (Belgium), January 19, 2005 - Riding the DS 650 X, a Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) vehicle, Antoine Morel won first place in the ATV category at the 27th edition of the "Dakar Rally". Morel completed the 8,956 km between Barcelona, Spain and Dakar, Senegal, maintaining his lead from beginning to end.

This constitutes a major win for experienced racer Antoine Morel, who was participating to the event for the 15th time, his 3rd one riding a DS 650 X ATV.

"I've had no technical problems with my DS; from Barcelona to Dakar, the engine turned with the regularity of a clock, allowing me to ride at a regular pace and to reach pit stops within reasonable delays, before nighttime," said Antoine Morel. "My DS's size and its dynamic characteristics allowed me to maintain my lead in key sections of the itinerary."

Minor modifications were induced to Antoine Morel's DS 650 X. However, the initial motor and frame were left unmodified. To conform to rally rules, a 3-liter water tank was added, and gas tank capacities were increased of 52 litres.

Lausanne (Switzerland), October 4, 2005 - Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. (BRP) would like to congratulate the team of five Frenchmen and two Frenchwomen, as well as their Chilean guide, for completing the 2005 BRP ATV Raid in Northern Chile. Philippe Crepon, Hervé Fieujan, Guillermo Gomez, Alain Grosman, Pierre Devaux, Florence Bourgnon, Patricia Meunier and Felipe Rudloff reached altitudes of more than 5,000 meters on their OutlanderT 400 ATVs during their 10-day trek.

To reach an altitude of 5,250 meters, the team had to acclimatize on rough terrain in difficult conditions, riding up volcanoes and across marshy steppes, encountering a surreal landscape of frozen salt, rocks, mounds carved out by erosion and even minefields, while braving frigid conditions and a freak salt storm.

The team chose BRP's Outlander 400 ATV for its solidity, versatility, excellent fuel economy and for its exceptional reliability.

The Outlander 400 is specially designed to deliver unsurpassed ride-control over the widest variety of terrain thanks to its revolutionary Trailing Torsional Independent rear suspension. The TTI suspension also ensures better overall handling and stability in rough terrain. The slide and glide action of its SST frame provides the Outlander 400 with exceptional manoeuvrability over obstacles. It is also equipped with the most powerful engine in its class.

Old 12-22-2005, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not trying to say that they don't make good ATVs, and my original statement that "Suzuki is twice the company of Bombardier ATV" was an exaggeration, I just rather have a quad from the big 4 who have been building bikes for ~50 years. But it's just my opinion so....

Old 12-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not trying to say that they don't make good ATVs, and my original statement that "Suzuki is twice the company of Bombardier ATV" was an exaggeration, I just rather have a quad from the big 4 who have been building bikes for ~50 years. But it's just my opinion so.... >>>>>>>>

Same thing people said 25+ years ago about Toyota, Nissan and Honda.

You questioned their reliability with no point of refrence, not even first hand experience. J. Bombardier invented the first snowmobile before Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki ever existed. Rotax engines are known world wide for their dependibility, going from PWC and Snowmobiles to ATV's isn't exactly like going from building houses to cars.

People remember quality long after price is forgotten.

Old 12-27-2005, 03:28 PM
Range Rover

this post interested me . im new to atv's having purchased my first this winter. early on i was intrigued with bombardier, having looked ,and missed a deal on a non current 2004 traxter xl[went for $4200 w/ warrantee on an ebay auction,still like to get one]. my use is primarily for hunting so i lean toward the utility aspects of these items. my only prior experience was with a friends arctic cat 400[2004], so was also initially looking at that or a a/c 300 [actually fit my needs more closely, mostly from a cost standpoint, and frankly im not as brand driven as much as price driven] anyway my looking around led me to an online purchase of a 2005 [non-current,new] eiger, w 5-spd trans on a best offer bid on ebay [ was a lowball,was just fishing] that got accepted, ended up paying $3750 out the door[ im from chicago,dealer was around st louis, so no sales tax and for some reason ,no setup fees] 95 % happy with machine[only complaints with machine are its cold blooded nature[a jetting issue from what ive read/easy fix] and lack of suspension adjustability-can live with . my point is most brand loyalty is usually a factor of having committed to a specific brand and not from technical superiority, i think as long as you buy a major player you wont go wrong,they all have good and bad points like automobiles [have mechanical background so that is first hand], lack of maintainence and abuse probably more of a factor in mechanical failures , than brand.

Old 01-03-2006, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just want to say that i have been a honda lover all of my life. when my dads company started selling bombardier atv's i thought they where a piece of junk. then i realy started looking at the feature's, they may be a new company but you can tell they really took the time to examine other atv's and see what improvements could be made, and they made the baddest atv out there. i recently bought a 400 outy and love the heck out of it. it has been a real trooper and the best bike i ever owned. if you got the money diffinetly the bike for you. if you dont' have the money polaris, suzuki, and arctic cat, are the three worst bike out there. but if you want your money's worth buy a yamaha or honda. but if you want to "follow no one" buy a bombardier!

Quick Reply: Eiger 400 vs. Outty 400 Please help! - Update!