Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Used ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used ATV's

I'm a first time ATV buyer and after shopping around for a bit came across a good deal on a used Suzuki Vinson. It's a 2005 with only 168 miles on it and the price seems right. There's no rust except a little where the hitch ball was removed. The body is in good shape albeit with a few scratches or rubs that show up mostly because it's black. It hadn't been cleaned up yet, and I looked it over pretty closely under neath and there didn't seem to be any alot of mud or dirt. I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer on things to look for and/or consider when purchasing used.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:02 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Used ATV's

You might want to have it standing up on the rack, so you can view the underside better, and look at the framework, for dents and cracks, and weak spots. Probably wont have any, but you still have to look.
Look for cuts in the sidewalls of the tires.
Look inside the air box, does it look like its clean and taken care of?
Why is it for sale? And is it just a story, or does it seem true?
Private party , or dealer? If dealer, ...any warentee?
If the person will let you...pop off the cover over the belt drive(if its the automatic), and look for mud or water in the cvt area.
Check the fluids, front diff, rear axle, engine oil, and coolant. Any look diluted by gas or water, or dirt?
Look over the front steering pieces...tie rods and links. Any bent, or look restraightened?
Can you take it for a test ride? Any bad noises? Everything works...lights , all ranges of the tranny, the 4wd system.
The vinson is actually a very nice quad...it has a torque sensing diff in front, and has a nice ride, and ample power. And With those miles, it should be almost new.
I think kbb.com, has used values for quads at the site. (kelly blue book), you can also look at ebay and atvtraderonline, for prices.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Range Rover
Default Used ATV's

what is the seller asking, you can buy a new non current for about 5k

Old 01-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Used ATV's

I was looking at a new noncurrent (automatic) for $5,200, but the dealer wouldn't budge on about $700 in freight, assembly and "admin" fees. Plus, I'd have to add on another $250 in sales tax. That's just more than I'm interested in spending. The used one, including a winch, is under $5k out the door. I told him I'd think about it and left to do some reasearch on prices and what to look for.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Range Rover
Default Used ATV's

try contacting unique powersports, theyre located just west of st louis, recently picked up a new 05 eiger manual for 3750 otd[this was an ebay auction, this was a "best offer' option. at the time he had new 05 vinsons for 5000/ if you are an out of stater you wont[or shouldnt ] pay sales tax[i didnt], and there were no set up fees on mine. try talking to the guy[as in wave cash],owner is bill , was a good guy . as regarding the used unit ,it could be the right time of day , was it sold by this same dealer? how long ago? is there still warrantee[6 mo factory] also as a final confusement are you totally sold on this particular model or brand? if your open there are some good arctic cat deals flying around. just picked up a new 05 400 tbx for 4400 , no sales tax/out of state purchase[2100 under list w/ a 2 yr warrantee]. a little computer legwork might pay off

Old 01-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Used ATV's

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to keep looking as I don't have an immediate need, just an immediate want. I am not wedded to the Vinson at all. In fact, I have been mostly looking at the Yamaha Kodiak and the AC 400, but just not finding much locally. St. Louis is a bit of a hike for me from the DC area, but there are a couple of places in TN, NC, etc. that seem to have a whole lot better prices.