Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

atv insurance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default atv insurance questions

Yeah, figured I owed everyone that to clear up my misinformation.

Also, after learning of the no theft coverage, my wife feels we should get the insurance. On the plus side of it is that the 214 qoute was WITH liability, and a 250 deductible on a 5,000 dollar stated value. On the down side, I'll have to pay that times 2[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] (for the two Ranchers)

Within the 214 anual charge per quad was a 5 dollar "Uninsured Motorist" fee, now I know about this on my vehicles, but come on!

Old 01-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

Doesn't homeowners insurance cover most utility quads? I've heard that a few times before, you should check into it.

Old 01-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

ATVRider, if you read through the posts, you'll see that Home Owners coverage, has been covered. To sum it up, My Home Owners coverage will not cover anything over 50cc.

For those that have kept on on this thread and the varying costs of insurance, I have some more news, I just saved a bunch of money on my ATV insurance. I didn't switch to Gieco. While thumbing through and ATV magazine, I notice an add for progressive (someone earlier had mentioned they had progressive, and at a good rate). I did the online qoute, then called the 800#. My life long insurance provider, State Farm, has my home, life, Auto (7 vehicles) and camper insurance. When I wanted insurance for the ATVs, for a stated value of 5,000, with 25/50/10 Liability, and 250 comp/collision, the rate for one year per ATV (I needed to insure 2) was 234.00 (185 for full coverage, 44 for Liability and 5 for uninsured). My qoute and bill from Progressive (which does not do stated value, they go by book value) was 162.00 per year for BOTH ATVs. The coverage is as follows, 25/50/10 Liability, 25/50 uninsured and 100 deductible for comp/collision.

Switching to Progressive saves me 306.00 anually, and both ATVs are covered in full. They also faxed me my policy for immidiate coverage verification.

As an aside, I decided to check my auto insurance and as was the case about 8 years ago, State Farm still had the better deal for me and my situation.

I own a collision repair facility and deal with insurance companies all the time for claims on accidents. In my area, State Farm ranks #1 hands down. Progressive, IMO, is tied for second with the likes of Farmers insurance for how a claim is handled and processed.

Old 01-26-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

well i still cant find anyone to cover my cat 400 i was told by my insurance comp. that if its on my truck or attached to my truck(trailer) and something happens theft etc. it would cover my quad but i need more i waited too long to get a 4 wheeler and im not losing it this bike is incredible so if any know of any companies in ma that will cover my bike please let me know id rather have my truck stolen than my quad

Old 01-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Range Rover

Rango, you better get written confirmation from your insurance co. about that coverage. My insurance co. does not cover ATV's on a truck or trailer in case of theft. You are expected to use the ATV's insurance in the case of theft. Theft is your biggest risk in ATV ownership unless you like to abuse your machine.

Weez, Don't assume that because you live in a small community that theft is not likely. I live in a small rural community and the meth addicts love to convert ATV's into cash.

Old 01-29-2006, 05:51 PM
Pro Rider

thanks for the info ill have to make sure i get that in writing. i dont live in a small community unfortunately but i do leave my bike in my truck from time to time i usually chain it to my truck frame though just to keep the honest people honest but thanks again i would hate to get misleading info from my ins comp and end up high and dry

Old 03-24-2006, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know it costs money, but Insurance is one of the best investments for an ATV. As stated in previous posts, most homeowners policies do not cover ATVs. My father in law bought a new Honda Rancher. He lives in a small community (supposedly safe). He kept insurance on it for the 6 months and decided the insursance costs too much. 2 months later it was stolen out of his shop.

Now which is more expensive. $200-400 a year in insurance or $4000+ for the theft of your ATV.

Buy the insurance

Old 03-27-2006, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance varies:

It seems that it all depends on the state you live it. Here in NY I can get FULL coverage on my ATV, it cover theft up to the current Blue Book value, plus another percentage of your choice up to a certain amount.

However, when I lived in NJ no insurance company would cover theft on off-road vehicle at all. I think there may have been come changes there in recent years but I don't know.

Either way it seems like people tell different stories about every state. We just called around and ended up finding that our car insurance company (All-State) would cover theft, comp and liability of ATVs. So we signed up our two quads at roughly $400 a year for both of them.

Well worth it IMO. The last thing I want to do is continue paying for a quad I don't have for the next 3-4 years.

Old 03-29-2006, 12:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

For all of those that are confused about insurance, I am in the insurance industry and have a little insight. 99.99% of the insurance companies will not cover an ATV under your homeowners policy so you need to take out a separate policy for the ATV. Similar to that of your car. If you want it to cover theft, vandalism, fire, and acts of nature you must have comprehensive coverage. If you want it to cover collision, roll over, falling off the trailer, being hit while on the trailer by an uninsured driver you must have collision. I just got a BF 650 and the cost is $225/yr. Not too bad. Keep in mind I don't get a discount because I work for the company. In addition you get liability incase you were to hit someone or something with it. Medical is up to you if you want it or not. Some people rely on their Health insurance to cover any injuries that they may sustain while riding. That is what I do. If you don't have health insurance then you may want this coverage. I hope this has helped out some of you. Thanks