Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

whats the best ATV for a big guy and rocky terrain

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006 | 11:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default whats the best ATV for a big guy and rocky terrain

Your pretty tough on the hardware. Go look seriously at the Arctic Cat TBX or TRV - Big quads for big guys. That TBX is awsome. MRP rackage and throw a cargo net over that box and you have plenty of carrying space for your lunch and 2 cases of beer/soda. Works for me.

Old 02-10-2006 | 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

get a sportsman, let me put it this way. they may not have the most HP. they may weight the most, they may not be the fastest. but it for sure wont break unless you drive it like a sport quad.

they are very very very well built quads. that why they weight more then the others.
the outlander is built a little flimsy.

just my thoughts.

Fred.

Old 02-13-2006 | 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: polarishawkeye4x4
If IRS is what youre into, go for the Polaris 600 twin, 700 EFI or 800 EFI (Reccomended)
They have the best rear suspension in the industry and class-leading torque and power. It also has one of the best 4 wheel drive systems in the industry.

If not a Polaris, id go for a Bombardier Outlander 800. This is my favourite ATV for 2006. Just go to their website and watch their videos. Believe me, you wont be mad.

My favourite ATV's used to be Polaris' because of their 4 wheel drive capabilities and IRS but Bombardier took this year for me. The Outlander has a Visco-Lok front differential which, when the wheels slip, Full torque is adapted to all wheels for maximum traction.

So for your size and terrain that you drive on, GO for the Outlander 800 H.O EFI.
Hmmm there are probs with the visco-locks on the new bombs, look for the thread on 4x4 diff locks, cant remember where it is. And polaris more power? I think you will find other quads make more power. No one mentioned a brute im sad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] its cheaper than both the bomb and polaris. And weighs a hell of a lot less than a polaris. The suspension and ride might not be as plush, but who can say no to a v-twin blatting? I know I couldn't. Plus the bombs frame, I'm not impressed with that either. Though they will tear the seat off your pants.

Old 02-13-2006 | 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

Read up on the Diff locks thread in the utility atv section, there is a good debate on the best 4x4 system out there, kinda funny too. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2006 | 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: polarishawkeye4x4
If IRS is what youre into, go for the Polaris 600 twin, 700 EFI or 800 EFI (Reccomended)
They have the best rear suspension in the industry and class-leading torque and power. It also has one of the best 4 wheel drive systems in the industry.

If not a Polaris, id go for a Bombardier Outlander 800. This is my favourite ATV for 2006. Just go to their website and watch their videos. Believe me, you wont be mad.

My favourite ATV's used to be Polaris' because of their 4 wheel drive capabilities and IRS but Bombardier took this year for me. The Outlander has a Visco-Lok front differential which, when the wheels slip, Full torque is adapted to all wheels for maximum traction.

So for your size and terrain that you drive on, GO for the Outlander 800 H.O EFI.
Actually the arctic cat is better in terms of rear and front suspension with the only TRUE independent suspension, which makes it articulate over rough terrain better that most others.

Old 02-14-2006 | 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

[i]

No one mentioned a brute im sad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] its cheaper than both the bomb and polaris. And weighs a hell of a lot less than a polaris. The suspension and ride might not be as plush, but who can say no to a v-twin blatting? I know I couldn't. Plus the bombs frame, I'm not impressed with that either. Though they will tear the seat off your pants.
I should of mentioned the Brute (Seeing that i own a KVF650). I agree with "ToughGUY2169", the Brute 750 is a good ATV to have for rocky terrain and a big guy. The shocks dont even compress an inch when i sit on mine and when i hit large bumps, the shock compresses only a couple inches. You should shop around at dealerships and test ride the ATVs of your choice.

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

i know i love rock crawling with my cat with the extra ground clearance i have went were alot of other IRS machines haven't been able to go.

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

Might as well call that cat an artic katsaki, since its powered by a kawi motor and tranny.

Old 02-14-2006 | 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

My dad is looking at the artic cats h1 650 for his next wheeler. I have to admit they look nice. And have the best ground clearence.

Old 02-15-2006 | 08:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ToughGUY2169
Might as well call that cat an artic katsaki, since its powered by a kawi motor and tranny.
Yeah they use kawasakis motor and tranny in the V2, but not for long as they have an ac plant going up about 20min north of me in St Cloud. But I dont have any complaints about kawasaki. If they had the ground clearance, body style, and other features (speed rack) as arctic cat, I might of thought of buying a Kawi

Quick Reply: whats the best ATV for a big guy and rocky terrain