Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

How much should I pay?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much should I pay?

Hello, first post and looking for information. I have been researching this site for the past few weeks and found a great wealth of information but would really appreciate any input you may have.

Tomorrow I am going to purchase 2 – 2006 ATV’S. The Suzuki Eiger Celebration (MSRP $5,700) for myself and another one for my daughter. Most likely the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 auto (MSRP $5,400) or the 400 4x2 auto (MSRP $4,500). Depends on what she likes and feels comfortable with.

I am also going to purchase a trailer. Don’t recall the name of it but its one that will hold 2 – ATV’S that has ramps on both sides of the trailer where you can drive up either side. The MSRP for that I believe is $1,300 - $1,500.

So, my question, what should I realistically expect to pay? I live in New Hampshire if that makes a difference. I do pretty well at dealing with vehicles but this is the first time ever purchasing ATV’S. I have read that some “out the door” prices include document preparation charges, shipping, etc. I have never paid those fees with a vehicle and really don’t intend on paying them for an ATV either.

Any recommendations on “must have” or “should get” accessories? Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Old 03-18-2006, 06:15 AM
Pro Rider

On March 11, 2006 I just purchaced a new 2006 Suzuki Eiger 5 speed for $4399, plus tax, paid for a state DCNR registraition, and title, just like buying a car. Some Dealers charge an extra fee for shipping and prep charge, thats the cost they are passing on to you for shipping and their cost for their mechanic to assemble it, don't allow the dealer to BS you by telling you it takes his mechanic all day to put a new ATV together, it takes him about 20 mins to unpack it, install the tires, add acid to the battery and charge the battery. I leave that up to you if you wanta pay that extra fee or not. I shopped around to different dealers, got a quote, took it to another dealer, I called them on the phone and they faxed me a written quote. Another suggestion, the Dealer is going to wanta sell you an extended warranty, just so you know the extended warranty is run by a private corporation, not Suzuki ! In the fine print of the warranty it only covers major engine parts, and it can be voided when the ATV shows any sign of abuse, or lack or proper maintence, I have seen so many people getting rejected when they wanted their ATV repaired under warranty. Its a ripp off, nobody collects on it, as long as you don't abuse it you won't have any trouble with it, believe me, if you do take it in for a warranty problem, the dealer won't stop untill he finds some reason why it isn't covered under warranty.

Old 03-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Last two quads I purchased I paid MSRP OTD, my buddy just got a brand new YFZ450 for 300 below MSRP OTD. Tell them you want everything at MSRP OTD and that you've priced two other dealers a few hours drive away and thats what you were quoted by them. Freight/set up/assembly fees are BS.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:44 AM
Range Rover

paid 3750 otd no set up no taxes[out of state for a noncurrent/ new 05 manual,paying list is silly imo] , spend a little time surfing the web and you might have to take a drive, if thats not appealing, buy away.....it is after all only money

Old 03-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

paying list is silly imo] , spend a little time surfing the web and you might have to take a drive, if thats not appealing, buy away.....it is after all only money
>>>>>>>>>

The state you buy it in makes a big difference. After getting essentially ripped off for all those setup/freight fees on my first quad I did a lot of homework and found in CA if you can get OTD for MSRP(or a few hundred below) then you got a pretty good deal, tax rates are close to 8%, title/registration is another $26, plus environmental fees for the tires etc. I know in GA and TN you can get below list price, but depending on where you live if/once you register it you have to pay taxes. In CA you have to have a red/green sticker unless you are riding on private property only.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: raidermike67
paying list is silly imo] , spend a little time surfing the web and you might have to take a drive, if thats not appealing, buy away.....it is after all only money
>>>>>>>>>

The state you buy it in makes a big difference. After getting essentially ripped off for all those setup/freight fees on my first quad I did a lot of homework and found in CA if you can get OTD for MSRP(or a few hundred below) then you got a pretty good deal, tax rates are close to 8%, title/registration is another $26, plus environmental fees for the tires etc. I know in GA and TN you can get below list price, but depending on where you live if/once you register it you have to pay taxes. In CA you have to have a red/green sticker unless you are riding on private property only.
... live in illinois, bought quad in missouri[sales tax exempt and for whatever reason no set up fees, ride private illinois[hunting] and public in mich[upper penninsula, very not in to all the bs regs yet...], list on the eiger was about $52 or$ 5300, saved $14-1500- just by looking on web-no brain surgery- and taking a 10 hour drive[and $100 in gas], havent bought any stinking tags[gov gets too much of our money now].... id move.....

Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Where did you purchase your Eiger for only $4399? Anywhere near Pittsburgh?