Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Want to buy a smaller ATV so kids and adults can ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to buy a smaller ATV so kids and adults can ride

We're first time ATV buyers. We'd like to get one for the kids (ages 5 and 8), but also one big enough for adults to ride. I talked to a dealer and he recommended a Bombardier Rally. It sounds really good to me, but I'd like some expert advice (other then my salesman)! We only have 5 acres so we're not looking at heavy terrain, but will be doing some farm chores with it.

Old 04-21-2006, 10:46 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You mentioned "farm chores" so can we assume that you need a utility type machine, with racks and a trailer hitch???

The Rally looks big for the kids, and absolutely to big for a 5 year old. Unfortunately, there is a gap between the true kids quads and small adult quads, that isn't filled very well by anything.

If you have to go with something the size of the Rally (and need to do farm chores), consider the Honda Recon 250. It is a superb little machine, and a time tested design of proven reliability and preformance. Indestructible, and a kick to ride!

Also, consider getting two quads. A true "kids" machine for the little ones, and a larger machine for the adults. (In that case, you might even want to go bigger for the adult quad, say maybe in the 2wd Rancher class? If you have snow and such, you might even want to consider one of the smaller 4wds.)

Riding together with the kids is great fun!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The recon is nice, but i had great luck with kids and adults with the Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. Its great for chores, and its powerful enough for mild fun with adults and kids.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me what you thoughts are on buying a used machine? I've had some people tell me that used ATV's are usually a bad choice b/c they are going to be run very hard. Can you give me pointers on what to look for in 4 wheelers and what we should not live without!

BTW, yes, we'd like a utility rack and a hitch. We will be hauling water, hay, and probably garden stuff.

Also, I know this probably isn't the forum for this, but my dad suggested getting a John Deer Gator...safer for the kids, but still a workhorse. Any thoughts?

Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I was reading it that you were looking for two quads - one for the kids and one for adults to ride/work with.

If you're trying to find just one quad that will work for everyone from age five to adult - forget it. Bad idea. Five to eight year olds are best suited for 50cc kids quads, especially if they have no riding experience. Some experienced eight year olds can handle a 90 but there's no reason for a child of that age to be on ahything larger. For some five year olds, even a 50cc could be to much to handle safely. While some kids of that age can, some just aren't ready yet.

For your adult usage, the 250cc class sounds about right. Most major manufacturers have them - Recon, Ozark, Kawi 250, Yamaha - just check them out. Some lend themselves more towards the sport side of utility while others are more like work bikes. While the Rally is a good bike, it's lack of low end means that it's not the best for farm type work.

Buying a used bike is much like buying a used car. You can never tell exactly what you are going to get. Quads are bad for loosing a lot of their value up front, so you should be able to find a good deal on a year or two old bike. Just shop with a little common sense and make sure whatever you buy has a clear title. Another lower cost option is to check out some of the China or Tiwan built bikes. While they have some quality problems they are getting better and they cost less than half of a major brand ride. Many have decided that especially for a kids bike, a cheaper bike that will only last a couple of years will work out fine. You do get what you pay for though.

WHATEVER YOU DO - DO NOT TRY TO FIT A KID ON AN ADULT SIZED QUAD.

Jaybee

Old 05-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

question - is a yamaha breeze 125 to large for 9 year old if has a throttle limiter and possibly a remote kill switch? In other words, would a 90 be too small to get up and down dunes, and through trails and tracks (leisure riding)? I went to Pismo a year ago and me and my son rented some quads at the dunes. The renting place gave me a honda 250 and my (then) 8year old a Yamaha Breeze. He handled it pretty good for his first time riding ever (and mine too). After that trip, I started looking into quads. I keep hearing that 8 year olds should not be on anything over a 90. Is the 125 that much more power? My son is a pretty tall 9 year old. Thanks for the opinions.