Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

400EX/Warrior/Blaster

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400EX/Warrior/Blaster

New to the forum and just looking for some opinions. Me and my friends just bought some quads to start riding. Who got the best deal and which is the better quad all around?

98 Yamaha Warrior - FMF Pipe, jetted, K&N, Bored .40 over - $1500.00 Good Condition, Needs Tires

03 Honda TRX400EX - FMF Pipe, Jetted, K&N, Nerf Bars - $3000.00 Excellent Condition

05 Yamaha Blaster - FMF Pipe, Jetted, K&N Filter - $3400.00 Good Condition

Thanks

Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

You all got good deals, All around the 400ex is slightly better (very slightly), but bang-for-the-buck will go to the warrior on this one because it's only half the price of the others, and is faster than the blaster, just a tad slower than a 400ex. That's just my opinion though.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:25 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Warrior is a terrible machine! (I know firsthand, I rode one for YEARS.) So if this is yours you got hosed, even at $1,500.

Old 04-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: reconranger
The Warrior is a terrible machine! (I know firsthand, I rode one for YEARS.) So if this is yours you got hosed, even at $1,500.
That's just your opinion, I love my warrior and don't understand why you constantly put it down as a "terrible machine"

Old 04-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many other quads have you ridden? Back in the day when I was a beginner and hadn't ridden any other quads, the Warrior seemed ok. Then the 400EX came out in 99, and I suddenly realized what a dog my Warrior was.

Hey, we have to tell it like it is so kids looking for a used quad aren't going to make a big mistake! Just doing a public service...............

Old 04-27-2006, 12:56 PM
Shed Knocker Rider
Harley Punk!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: recon99
That's just your opinion, I love my warrior and don't understand why you constantly put it down as a "terrible machine"
I don't think the Warrior is a terrible machine, but it definately is more than a "tad" slower than the EX, power and handling wise.

Oh and for the original question, the EX is probably the best deal, but the Warrior isn't bad for the price. The Blaster is way to expensive, I think you can buy a new one for less.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Reconranger .. just because you didn't like your Warrior, doesn't make it a "Terrible" machine. Sure it's not the best, and definitely not as good as a 400EX, but why be so damn hateful towards a quad that has brought a lot of people a lot of fun, myself included. If you didn't like yours, then fine, but try to be a bit constructive about it.

Simply tell people you didn't like the Warrior much and suggest trying out a few different machines rather than constantly hating on the Warrior.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've rode quite a few sport quads over the years, all the major ones including the 400ex, z400, raptor 660, FST built kfx 700, and a 450r, and I don't get why people think the 400's are so fast, just with the mods I have I can take a piped 400ex or stock z400 in a drag race with my "terrible warrior". The 400's feel sportier than the warrior, but I don't think they handle any better, and the suspension on the 400 is just a little softer, not any better at soaking up the big bumps.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

I apoligize I didn't know my thread would start such an issue.

Anyways so the 400ex will be quicker then a bored out warrior?

I agree my friend that bought the Blaster paid too much. A new one is close to the same price.

An I was kinda worried about my friend that bought the Warrior because the engine was tore apart and you don't know if it was done correctly but the price looked good for him I guess.

So for trail riding how many pounds of pressure should I run in my tires?

Old 04-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about that Deathblow .. it wasn't your thread that started it. Reconranger has been hating on Warriors for as long as I can recall.

I have no problems with someone not liking something. There's lots of stuff that I don't like but that doesn't mean that it's crap, I personally just don't like it and/or like something else better.

As for the EX being quicker than a bored Warrior, that would depend largly on the quality of the build in the Warrior and if it's been ported/polish, etc. Thing to keep in mind is stock for stock, the EX has a HP advantage of about 6HP (Warrior has 18, EX has around 24 I believe, to the rear wheels this is) and the EX also has a pretty good weight advantage. The EX's engine also (from what I understand) responds much better to mods than the Warrior.

In the end, it's not all about what you ride, it's about enjoying what you ride.