Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Which Chinese ATV is Good?

Old 04-29-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Chinese ATV is Good?

Seems anything HONDA retains it's value well. I think when it comes to off road "vehicles" it's a lot harder to keep a high value if you actually USE the thing. I see ad's all the time from people with "mint" condition ATV's hoping to get a few hundred below MSRP because they hardly rode it and kept it garaged. Honda dominates market share so obviously you'll see more of them. Until recently it was hard to find Honda dealers willing to budge much off their prices.

My take on anything used, it's only worth what someone is willing to give you for it. I looked at a used quad with "63 original miles", I arrived expecting to see a nearly new quad, the second I saw it I thought "man this is a bit rough for 63 miles".....turned it on, yup, 63 miles........OHHHHHHHHHHH, the speedo doesn't work? Nice try, but they failed to disconnect the wires for the digital memory, it had over 70 hrs on it. Owner claimed someone probably left the key on.

My best advice on getting something used is to try and find something that doesn't look thrashed and has an extended warranty. If there is no speedo to verify miles/hours and it's supposed to be low hours check wear on the tires and brakes, that should tell you all you need to know.

Another good idea is to keep phone numbers of what you are interested, once the ad has expired call and see if it's still available, sellers might be a little more eager if they couldn't sell when they put it in the paper or something.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

Yeah good advice dude. I know people sell ragged on atvs for high dollar and they tweak the odometer in creative ways. I saw one so rusted the guy must have never cleaned or greased any part on it after a ride in the mud. Friggin atv was bright orange/red with rust. It'd be nice if a dealer sold stainless steel atvs, but I guess most rely on good quality paint to protect their frame and steel parts.
I may go with Honda in the end only because they seem to hold their value the best. They ask a higher price, but I see atvs from 1985 which still ask a $3000 price tag. Pretty amazing.

Old 04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

but I see atvs from 1985 which still ask a $3000 price tag. Pretty amazing. >>>>>

Could be the novelty/nostalgic factor? Look what a well maintained old VW bug is worth?

Old 04-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Trailblazer

Very true. Dude, do u ride ALL those atvs and vehicles or do u have a big quad riding family? I'm referring to your vehicle list. I have a BRP dealer near me which I checked out. Nice utility quads, but BRP seems to jump from small sized motor atvs to BIG quads, no in between sizes. I think I saw a 250 and then it jumped to 400 and larger. They had a nice 2 man atv for sale but it was pricey. I'm just looking for an entry level utility quad to ease into the whole thing. If I find I don't find much time to spend on an atv, I'd hate to waste $7000 on something I hardly use u know? Knowing myself like I do, I think I'm going to be riding the Hell out of whatever I buy. I have some trails by my house I'm dieing to tear into.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I don't ride the dirtbike much, and it's just me. The Saturn I use to commute and the PT is for casual use. The F150 is mainly for hauling my quads but comes in handy other times as well.

Two schools of thought, you get a 250 and love riding but crave more power, then spend 7K to get something bigger, now your out a good 10 K......Bite the bullett and get the bigger quad.....You'll never crave less power.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NeedMoreBeer
Very true. Dude, do u ride ALL those atvs and vehicles or do u have a big quad riding family? I'm referring to your vehicle list. I have a BRP dealer near me which I checked out. Nice utility quads, but BRP seems to jump from small sized motor atvs to BIG quads, no in between sizes. I think I saw a 250 and then it jumped to 400 and larger. They had a nice 2 man atv for sale but it was pricey. I'm just looking for an entry level utility quad to ease into the whole thing. If I find I don't find much time to spend on an atv, I'd hate to waste $7000 on something I hardly use u know? Knowing myself like I do, I think I'm going to be riding the Hell out of whatever I buy. I have some trails by my house I'm dieing to tear into.
I know what you mean, but I spent 7300 on my cat, and dont regret one penny. It starts to almost become an addiction to keep buying more things to make it a better machine! I literaly have a list of about 30 things that arent cheap, and I will buy them, slowly but surely. So my 7300 dollar toy is quickley turning into a 15,000 dollar investment! But I like it, its exciting to come home from work, find the UPS package on the step, and go to work on the quad!!

Old 04-30-2006, 12:43 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dunno guys, when you can buy a new China quad for the same price as a 6-7 year old Honda, I don't think it's so black and white. There have been successful adult sized machines such as Kymco Mongoose and Linhai (sold under Manco Talon and a few other brands). I'd say the verdict is still out on Jetmoto because I keep hearing good things.

Old 04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Trailblazer

I can totally relate to spending more than u anticipated after a purchase. i recently bought a mountain bike and the more I road it, the more I wanted upgrades. I like riding on gnarly trails so my old cheap mtb kept falling apart. This one is a better frame, but components aren't cheap to upgrade. I can only imagine modifying an atv can't be cheap either. I hear all these opinions and I think u guys convinced me to bite the bullet and get a Jap quad with some *****. I know I won't be happy with a week powered atv and I am 6'-5", so riding a dink a$$ little atv probably would look kinds lame, aye? Like when u see a fat dude riding a small Kawasaki street bike. It makes the dude look like he's riding a tricycle for a 3 yr old, right?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 04-30-2006, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Dear RaptorLegs,
I gotta ask u dude. R U a rep for Kymco? I'm just kidding, but I can totally see how a atv dealer posing as a common rider could totally hook people with made up tales.
Don't get offended. It just crossed my mind, that's all.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Call me pessimistic.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

My experience with bargains, you get what u pay for. I would never buy a cheap china atv. Just bought a kodiak 450 camo. Hondas weren't any higher price. Few less options maybe. We've had 3 honda atvs all excellent. Hope this yamaha kodiac is as good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which Chinese ATV is Good?