Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Decisions...decisions...HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions...decisions...HELP!!

Hi Everyone,

It's my first post here, long time lurker. After several years I have finally talked my wife into agreeing to let me get an ATV. I am not sure which way I want to go so I thought I would throw out the deals here and see what the concensus is. I am considering either a Yamaha Kodiak 450 with winch for $5745 OTD or a Polaris Sportman 500EFI with winch for $6288OTD. I guess the 700 carb with winch for $6314OTD is on the table too along with the Griz with winch for $6645OTD. I'm 6'1" and around 225lbs. I have some seat time on the 450 and on the 700 carb but those are the only two I have ridden. This will be my first ATV. I will primarily use it for hunting and pleasure riding any time I get the chance. I am aware of some of the problems that have been mentioned with the 500EFI and that does concern me as I will be buying these out of state and don't really want to take the chance on a problem machine. I know everyone will probably have a different opinion but if you were me which would you choose and why?

Old 06-08-2006, 04:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would choose the grizzly because my neighbor has one and its really nice. It has forward
and reverse on the left side of the atv. And they have a whole bunch of racks, performance
parts, etc. They also make an fmf stealth exhaust. And the last reason I'd choose it is
because yamaha is my favorite brand. They make a lot of good sizes to choose from. But
if you dont want a big really heavy atv get the kodiak. Hope this helps you on finding an
atv.

Old 06-08-2006, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

I did not see Suzuki on there. Have you looked into the Vinson 500 or the Kingquad? The king is an awsome atv lots of power and it is EFI. The vinson is also great, I prefer the manual shift my self. If I had to pick one off your list the kodiak 450 or the Griz. My buddy is AK loves his 450 and they are just a well bult atv. I have not ridden the Grizz but hear great things about it, it is a proven machine. I would get something with a front diff lock if there is mud in your future, also do you plan on alot of altittude changes while hunting or just trail riding? EFI might the better option for you. I would get the Kingquad if I had the option, even though it is not on your list. It is EFI, front diff lock, IRS and pretty quick and feels sporty when you drive it.

Old 06-08-2006, 06:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

For the price of the polaris 500, you could about get an H1 Arctic Cat 650. Take a look at those, they are sweet hunting vehicles!!

Old 06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

I second the vote for a grizz. excellent machine, power to spare, cushy ride. 'nuff said.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, I'm a bit surprised no one has chimed in for the Polaris! to be honest I am leaning towards the Yamaha I just don't know if I want the Kodiak or the Griz. My wife has mentioned that she would like to ride some too ( double so I guess I will need to get a rear seat / trunk bag). I realize there are a lot of public trails where 2 up is not allowed unless the machine was built for it. The Yamaha deals include the winch but its not installed, is there a lot to installing a winch if I do it myself? The Yamaha's would be purchased from Romney's is there anything I should know about them I have never been there.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

Installing a winch is easy it will take you 1hr max. You install the mounting plate, 4 to 6 bolts and then the winch on that. The winch is held on by 4 bolts. Now you just have to mount the celinoid and run 2 wires from the winch to it, and then 2 wires from it to the battery. The winch control has 3 wires that just go to the celinoid and mount the switch. May sound hard but it is pretty easy. Your Atv should have a spot to mount the celinoid near the battery.

Trending Topics

Old 06-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

What ddonkey said about altitude changes is easy to fix. Rockymountainatvmc sells a jetting
system that gives you good horsepower and fuel milage at any altitude. If your trail riding
you should get the fmf stealth exhaust, especially if you hunt. And they have a quiet core
that lowers the decibals even more.

Old 06-13-2006, 04:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I called the dealer at lunch and told him I would take a new Grizzly. Now I just have to find time to drive to WV to pick it up.