Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

new ATV needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 07:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new ATV needed

I have limited my choices down to:
a. number one choice right now....Suzuki R450
b. Yamaha YFZ450
c. Honda 450r

any suggestions/tips?
Thanks

Old 07-06-2006, 01:44 AM
Pro Rider
Default new ATV needed

go to those dealerships sit on all of them and see which one is the most comfortable

Old 07-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new ATV needed

You left out the most important detail.......where and what kind of conditions are you riding????????

I ride desert, and the 450R is the king of desert racing, so there is no other choice for me.

Old 07-06-2006, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new ATV needed

I am in oregon, so there is some trail riding, but for the most part I am going to live at the dunes. I have been and looked at all of my choices. I liked the Raptor 700, but it seems a little to high for me. I have riden the 450r, and I like it. I can also get one for 5400 (2005 model) brand new. THe new Suzuki is sweet. It is a little wider and seems so stable, but it is more. From what i have read and heard, the suzuki the is the latest and greatest 450 model. Has anyone riden one?

Old 07-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Default new ATV needed

Originally posted by: FireAce
I am in oregon, so there is some trail riding, but for the most part I am going to live at the dunes. I have been and looked at all of my choices. I liked the Raptor 700, but it seems a little to high for me. I have riden the 450r, and I like it. I can also get one for 5400 (2005 model) brand new. THe new Suzuki is sweet. It is a little wider and seems so stable, but it is more. From what i have read and heard, the suzuki the is the latest and greatest 450 model. Has anyone riden one?
yea but kawasaki is coming out with a 450 in october i heard, get what ever you fell the most comfortable on you can change anything on an atv but comfort

Old 07-06-2006, 03:17 PM
Red Rider
Default new ATV needed

Hey, we're headed for Oregon Dunes next weekend. Love that place!

I think the Suzuki is an unproven design at this point. You know the saying, never buy the first year of any new model........

Either the R or the Yamaha should be great. I would go with an 06 Honda if it were me, but I would replace the front springs immediately with Works Performance (just the springs, not the whole shock). Two of my buddies are trail riding their 06's on some very tight stuff (it is geared lower than the 04/05's), and having a great time! I ride my 04 in the open desert, and prefer the 400EX for trail rides.

Old 07-06-2006, 05:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new ATV needed

I will probably be at Sand Lake this Sunday, but I am going to Florence the weekend after that. We have a great area for ATVs up here. I know it is the first year of production for the r450, however, I know Suzuki has a great history with small motors with their motorcycles and stuff, so, I am not as concerned about that. My only real problem with it is the 7300 dollar price tag. Other than that, it is comfortable, stable, and feels great under me.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:53 PM
Red Rider
Default new ATV needed

One thing to consider: There at Oregon Dunes, are you more into riding the sand trails, or more into the bare dunes? If it's trails, you might find the Suzuki front end a little on the wide side in the tight spots?????

Personally, when I am up there, I spend all my time on the trails! Here in the desert southwest, woods trails are extremely rare, so it's a real treat to ride the trails. The open dune riding up there is nothing special to us, seeing we live near Glamis and Dumont, and can ride that stuff any old time.

Old 07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new ATV needed

You could be right on the trail width. The thing about the open dunes is that unlike you, we dont have Glamis, so the open dunes are a blast. However, i love riding the trails as well. I have yet to be on one that wasnt wide enough for it though, but you point is well taken. I will compare it to my friends 450r she is buying tonight and see just how much wider it is. Speaking of Glamis, I would love to come there and try it, I have heard it is a blast.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default new ATV needed

Ive got a ds650 on ebay currently if you would be interested its the yellow and black one

Quick Reply: new ATV needed