Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Found a new and used 400ex!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet Again....Which One?

Okay,I know that since i have been a member of this forum most (if not all) of my posts have been about which one to get,but i have finally got it down to the two that are holding me back from my final decision.They are in two different classes but they are....the 05 Honda TRX400EX & the 05 Yamaha Kodiak 450.I know this is like comparing cars and trucks but i dont know what to get.I dont remember what the price of the Kodiak was,something around 5400,but the price of the 400EX was 4600.I want to get the 400EX,but the kodiak is also an option for me.The 400EX is a 2-wheel drive,but does it do good in the mud(im not talking about 3ft pits or anything)and in <u>slight</u> water?I know the kodiak has a bigger engine than the 400EX but is it faster?I also like the small size of the 400Ex.So as you can see I have alot of questions,but i want all of your opinions.I am really leaning towards the 400EX,but again i wonder if it is okay in the mud,water,and sometimes in the winter(maybe with chains on the tires?).

Thanks,

Morgan

Okay,thank you all so much for the help and feedback you have given me throughout this deal,but i may have found the one.In my town,there is a 01 400ex,with a big bore kit,different axle,rims,tires,and bars.I think its around 2100,good deal?Should i get it?I am going to go look tomorrow.

Also found a red 05 400ex with 3yr warranty and saftey equiptment for 3995..

Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The ex is faster by far, but the kodiak will pull it around like a little girl! It depend on what riding you will be doing. If you want to ride in the snow, and mudding, its Kodiak hands down. If you want to race around dry trails, and a track get the EX.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 2wd quad can go most places the 4wd goes, but you need to be reasonable. A few inches of snow, sure. 8-10" maybe not. What do most of your buddies ride? It is rough when all your buddies are playing in the mud and you just get stuck on the EX. But the opposite is also true, it sucks being tail end charlie when you have a Kodiak and all your buddies are streaking down the fire roads or around the track. If you don't have many riding buddies yet, then go with what your heart desires most, and go get some buddies with the same likes.

Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Scooter86,

That's one problem I have,that i dont have many friends that ride.I have one,he has a dirtbike(04 cbr250)but thats about it,i know people who have atvs but they are just for working and stuff.I would like to get the 400EX so that i can have some power to really ride,but i would also like to do some riding in the winter,not deep snow just slight.Where I live we have 8 acres ,and its alot of woods so the 400ex would be good in that right?

Old 07-14-2006, 04:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sport quads do well in the snow up until it gets a few inches higher than your lowest point, maybe 7 or 8." Wet snow is a lot of fun, but you can't go as deep as in powder. You could always try some Maxxis 4-snow's though. If you don't intend to do any work with the quad, and may have the need to keep up with a dirtbike on occasion, I would go with a sport model. I am biased towards the sports you should know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] In a perfect world I would own a 4x4 too, but until then I just put up my quad for a few months while the snow is to deep. Of course, my brother and I have been known to use a snow blower to cut out an oval track and throw in a few snow jumps for a bit of racing. Honestly, that usually turns out to be the most fun I ever have on a quad. A lot of low speed banging, pushing, and shoving. Nothing like blocking your little bro into a snow bank and having him crash in slow motion, lol.

Old 07-14-2006, 08:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Get the 4x4, you will regret the sport if you want to ride in snow. If you have a dusting of snow on the ground, you will have a hard time making it up a rocky bunny slope, or any snow covered hill

Old 07-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

Go with the 4x4 and then find some mud you wont want a 2wd after that.