Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

MN & SD college Quad --- Help Needed =)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MN & SD college Quad --- Help Needed =)

Hi, first post! Haha, I need tips on buying a new quad. We have a fourwheeler in the family and it was origanaly meant to help with the farm. But me and my brother beat the holy **** out of it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]. We have moved off the farm and we still own it and yes, my bro still goes out and beats on the poor thing everyso often [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . I wanted to say that so you guys know that I am not a total newby to riding four wheelers but it has been a while...

MY QUESTIONS
I own a gas hog for a vehicle and it is great for the winter but I want a fun summer ride that gets great gas mileage. Motorcycles are too average so I thought it would be kick *** to get a quad.

1. Can 4 wheelers be made street legal easily (If the rules differ between states I live in MN but will be going to college in SD)?

2. Are insurance prices very high for quads? (Ive had no tickets/accidents)

¤3. I want an ATV that has the "sporty look" (I am sure you guys no what I am talking about) but I don't know what kind to look for. I will be searching under used atv's most likely so do you guys have any particular atvs in mind that would fit these needs: fun, something that I can work on and modify, under $2500.

4. Can all atvs be made street legal?

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-03-2006, 09:46 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't say what your riding conditions are. You said "sporty look", but are you talking about a 2wd sport quad, or do you need a 4wd????

Old 08-03-2006, 09:53 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum. As far as quads being street legal check with the motor vehical department for both states. I think there are only about a dozen states so far that you can make one street legal. =[

Old 08-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Weekend Warrior

Oops, sorry. Something kind of like this 4 wheeler, 2 wheel drive, but I am am sure that the raptor is way over my limit even used.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...39/0/home.aspx

And I started thinking, we are moving again in a few months about 3 miles out of town. Can 4 wheelers do 55mph for about 10 minute long periods with out being to harmful to the atv???

Old 08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Very easy to make a quad street legal in SD.
It needs to be over 200 cc
Mirror
Horn
License plate light
Licensed as a motorcycle, but you only need a drivers license, not a motorcycle endorsement.

Old 08-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

if you try driving down the highway in minnesota smokey will be on your butt in about 2 min. yet another reason sd is better then mn [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and well with gas prices i think you would be better off getting a small street bike like a yamaha 400 special i had an older one and that thing got great gas mileage. or else you can get an enduro motorcycle that would be fun to.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: SDLloyd
Very easy to make a quad street legal in SD.
It needs to be over 200 cc
Mirror
Horn
License plate light
Licensed as a motorcycle, but you only need a drivers license, not a motorcycle endorsement.
I second that. I live in Sioux Falls, SD and I have my Grizzly 660 street legal. The cops haven't bothered me yet. I pay about $150/yr for insurance. I have family in MN with quads and you cannot make it street legal in MN. One of my family members has really dug in to the ATV laws in MN and they seem to differ from year to year, one reason I'm glad I live across the border (even though I grew up in MN).

Old 08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

where i live alot of people wanna break off from minnesota and become part of north dakota. everthing from highway 2 and north.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

hmmm, Ahh, I dunno what I want to do now. I want a quad because they are funner than dirtbikes (imo) and I would be able to carry my dirt board closer to the trails with a quad than if I used my blazer. But then again if I got a motorcycle I could travel back and forth from parents house in mn to college really cheaply. I ONLY GET ONE TOY! Oh boy, this is a stumper.

Old 09-03-2006, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

I guess you should look at it this way.....what will you ride more, especially since you can't make a quad street legal in MN. If you're looking to save gas money, I would say get the motorcycle since you can ride that in MN on the streets. If you don't care about the gas money and only the fun factor, then I say get a quad. It all depends on where you're at financially.

My $.02.

Quick Reply: MN & SD college Quad --- Help Needed =)