Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Sport or utility??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sport or utility??????

does the Brute have a drain plug for the cvt housing????

Old 08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Yes, the BF 650i has a drain plug. It's top speed is around 70 mph and it's motor pulls really hard to get there, in other words it's a lot faster than a Rancher 450. A Rancher 450 is more of a working ATV, where as the 650i is more for pleasure riding with a high performance motor. And I'm pretty sure Honda stopped making the Rancher for the 07 model year.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

first off the rancher comes in a 350 and 400 no 450 thats a foreman and why a rancher is no were near a sport quad, it is no working quad but any stretch of the imagination, unless its light work. ranchers are a blast to play on but a rincon would be a better work quad

Old 08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mykool61679
first off the rancher comes in a 350 and 400 no 450 thats a foreman and why a rancher is no were near a sport quad, it is no working quad but any stretch of the imagination, unless its light work. ranchers are a blast to play on but a rincon would be a better work quad
Sorry I meant to say Foreman 450, I got confused b/c he said something about the Rancher.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:19 PM
Trailblazer

toyeboy, have you driven the vinson 500auto by chance? it doesnt sound like a quick wheelie machine but for the price i think it could get me through the snow and still have some fun.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

I haven't driven a Vinson 500 but I've heard they are really good ATV's. They've got a really good 500cc motor, definitely would be faster and more powerful than your Foreman 450. The only drawbacks are no front locker, and it doesn't have Independent rear suspenison which means less ground clearance...but SRA's are fun in their own way and very sporty. It could definitely get you through the snow, front lockers are very nice to have, but regular 4wd is usually good enough for the smaller utes.

It just depends on how much more power your really wanting over your Foreman 450, the Vinson is more powerful not a ton though, but the 650i or even just the 650 would be like "wow" compared to your 450. Those V-twins put out a lot of power. I think they make or use to make a BF 650 SRA and it's priced more toward the 500 class ATV's, so you may want to check that out as well.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Trailblazer

the BF 650 SRA is $300 less then the IRS model.
do other brands have to roll forward a bit to engage 4x4? how much do you have to roll forward with the BF? my dad belives honda and only honda and the second i told him about the rolling forward with the BF he says "well...don't even consider it. " of course thats a honda fan for you, lol.

Driveit

Old 08-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

I think the only reason the Kawi's have to move forward for the 4wd is b/c their built for "shift on the fly." Most other brand's like Suzuki on their KQ, Yamaha on their Grizz aren't shift on the fly but they engage without the wheels having to move. On my Suzuki KQ it engages instantly into 4wd but I have to roll a bit to get the front locker engaged. It's really just one of the Kawi's designs, it's on all their utes though so it's not like it doesn't work.

I think your dad would be pleasantly suprised with some of these other brands, b/c Kawi, Suzuki and Yamaha all make very good bikes IMO. They're higher performance motors than the Hondas so their usually faster, and so far my Suzuki with 1200 miles has been built proof so they're reliable as well.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Trailblazer

so go forward a foot (lets say) and im engaged into 4x4???

Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

A foot, give or take a little. For the most part it's not going to be a big deal, the only time it's bad is if you go into a mud hole in 2wd to see if you can get through and then you find out you need 4wd it usually won't engage, some guys just like doing that, but if you put it in 4wd before the going get's rough then you'll be okay.

Also, click here to see some rider reviews of the BF 650, it'll give you the impressions of actual owners, the good and the bad.

Quick Reply: Sport or utility??????