Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Grizz or KingQuad?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizz or KingQuad?

I am buying a new 4x4 utility quad and have been doing some research. The list has been reduced to an '06 Grizzly or '06 KingQuad. Below I've broken them down to their Pros/Cons. These are based mostly on fact, so please do not disagree unless you know for sure that the spec is wrong. Is there anything I am missing? I am not concerned with which goes fastest or who saw which smoke what in the MudPit o' Death in East Kambum... Just first hand experiences please. I will be using it for fun and on a farm for chores my 4x4 tractor and truck cannot do.

’06 Suzuki KingQuad: $6600 w/ winch OTD

Pros: ATV of the Year, etc
695cc
Storage
Al wheels
3rd headlight
EFI?
H20 temp / FI idiot light

Cons: Price
6mth warranty
4.6gln fuel tank
EFI?
10.2” ground clearance

’06 yamaha Grizzly: ~$6400 w/ winch OTD

Pros: Proven design/good all around
5.3gln fuel tank
12mth warranty
Styling
11.8” ground clearance
Price

Cons: Doesn’t excel in any one category
limited storage
No center light
660cc

Both have Low range, locker, IRS, aux pull start, start in gear, DC outlet, engine braking, roughly equal weights…

If you think there's another model out there that matches these two in specs AND the OTD price I have listed above, I'm willing to hear the arguments, otherwise please don't bother.

Oh, and I am completely ruling out the Polaris 500HO based on their service records at my local dealers.

Thanks a lot.

- G

Old 09-27-2006, 12:47 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

Even though the KQ has a smaller tank, you will go farther per tankfull than you will on the 660 Grizzly simply because it gets much better fuel mileage (thanks to the EFI). You should consider the ’07 Grizzly as well in your research, although it will be more expensive.

I can vouch for the durability of the 660 Grizzly, mine has been very dependable. I feel the KQ is a more refined machine than the older Grizzly, but I like the high speed handling mannerisms of the Grizzly better (it is less twitchy at speed in their stock configurations) but I like the low speed feel of the KQ better.

From what I’ve read it sounds like you’d be replacing drive belts more often on a KQ, my ’02 Grizzly (about 3400 miles) is still on the original belt. I’ve heard the service life of a KQ belt is about 1200 miles.

Feature-wise the ’07 Grizzly is a better match to the KQ than the older Grizzly. The frame geometry (A-arms and suspension) has been improved, it has EFI, and the fuel storage has been moved from the traditional “tank” position to mostly under the seat (lowers the center of gravity). The power steering feature alone will make the new Grizzly more stable at moderate speed than the KQ as well. At higher speed the power steering feature (from what I understand) does not come into play but if the new Grizzly handles like the old Grizzly, that would be a plus. I haven’t heard a fuel mileage report yet but I would think fuel mileage versus the 660 should be improved. I’ll be getting one myself very soon to replace my Brute Force so I’ll find out first hand before too long…

Old 09-27-2006, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

In my opinion you can't go wrong with either machine. I think you are down to which dealer will provide the best service and support and which ATV you think you look better riding. The EFI might be one thing to consider since it seems ATV's are moving in that direction. In my opinion I'm happy with my carb. As for the Polaris I would agree they had a "lessor" product years back, but I'm quite happy with the two we run around with today. We use them for trail riding and some farm work. I think it's more how you take care of it. Just like a car or pick-up or tractor... if you spend some time cleaning and inspecting it from time to time and maintaining it, it will last a long long time. Happy Trails!

Old 09-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

I'm not considering the '07 700 Grizzly, b/c, for one, it is new this year. I don't like being the guinea pig for entirely new machines - cars, quads, or otherwise. Besides, I'd be adding another $800-1000 for one. Frankly, I thought they were bigger than the 660, but pairing the dimensions, they are nearly identical. The 700's actually not as long. Weird.

No dealer I have visited had a 660 Grizzly in stock, so maybe I won't like it once I sit on it/ride it. Doubtful though.

Nothing about the dealers seems to be a negative, other than the one being 30 minutes away compared to 5. The closer one seems like a pretty large volume dealer, so that could be a plus.

2TV - What problems have you had with your Grizz?

Thanks.

Old 09-27-2006, 06:02 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

I had a throttle cable replaced under warranty (my only warranty fix). The cable casing had a crack in it just past the end of the metal tip where it feeds into the carburetor linkage, and that allowed water / silt into the linkage, eventually making the throttle stick in an "open" position. Other than that, I've had one wheel bearing replaced and some front end components were replaced (due to normal wear I was told).

I also broke the stock hitch due to abuse (jerking heavy logs to get them moving). I installed a home-made replacement that was much stronger (along with larger hardened bolts) and solved that problem. I also had the "heat fighter kit" installed (a recall item for the '02 and '03 model year Grizzlies). That involved installing '04 model year side panels and some insulating material under the fuel tank.

Driving the quad slow for extended periods of time (such as mowing for hours or a lot of log pulling) will generate enough heat to cause the "sputtering" issues that have been talked about before. If a lot of throttle is applied suddenly in this condition it will cough and sputter until you ease off then slowly apply throttle to speed up. I have never had this problem at my normal trail riding speeds.

BTW, the '02 was a first release year for the 660 Grizzly and it has been very reliable given the torture I've put it through. My '05 Brute was also a first year release and I've had a lot more trouble with it (thank goodness for the extended warranty as I've had it in the shop for several warranty repairs that would have been costly otherwise)...

Old 09-28-2006, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks a lot, 2TV. Looks like I might get to sit on a 660 Grizz this weekend. Unfortunately, this dealer won't let you ride anything at all. Doesn't make sense to me...

Old 09-28-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

King 700 EFI vs. Grizz 660. I recommend the King Quad here. I had to decide between these two last summer and I read tons and tons of reviews, threads, and magazine shootouts. It became very evident that the King was a step above the Grizz 660 with it's features, superior handling and ride. EFI, let me say isn't overrated at all, in the winter months when I'd ride my King it would fire right up and ran like it was 75 degrees once started when it was really 20. The fuel economy is phenomenal IMO for this big of a motor/ATV, it doesn't feel like I use much more gas now than I did with my old Polaris 400. The King has been proven now as well, ecspecially an 06 model, it had some issues in 05 but they are resolved, but I would still recommend a better air filter to protect your investment. The King is fun and comfortable to ride, and has an excellent 4wd system just as the Grizzly.
My King's belt has 1350 "not so easy" miles and it never slips so don't worry about the belt.

For only $200 more the King is definitely the ATV I'd go with, EFI and more power and better handling.

Old 09-28-2006, 08:51 PM
Range Rover

Either one will be a good choice. I like both of them. I'd say get which ever one you feel most comfortbale on.

You'll get mixed opinions...because that's what opinions are all about. Choose which ever you like most.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for all of the useful information guys. I agree that both are good and I won't be disappointed with either.

I drove a used '06 Grizzly last night. They were asking like $6400 but the manager said he'd give it to me for what he gave the guy in trade, which was like $5700. Only a few months of warranty left though, no winch, no other mods and 123 miles. Definitely a good price, but I think for the $600 more, I'd prefer to get new with 0 miles, winch and 2 year warranty.

It drove as nice as the KingQuad though. Seemed a little peppier. Like others have said, better throttle response. I definitely liked the King's shifter better though. That thing will shift into any gear standing still and off. The new 700 Grizzly's shifter seems to have taken some queues from the King's, ie no boot and open gates to clearly see where you are. Still not as smooth though. Also, that Grizz underseat storage is huge! I thought their page had a typo, 12liter vs 1.2liter, but I think it is in fact 12. Too bad it's not sealed in some way to give some "safe" storage. Whatever you put in there will get wet or dirty or even lost, if smaller.

The Yamaha dealer said the Grizzly has 4 wheel engine braking, where the KQ only has front wheel. Is that true? If so, that would mean that the KingQuad has no engine braking when not in 4 wheel drive. Doesn't sound right...

By the way, the Grizzly does have an idiot light for oil. Not sure if it's pressure or level though.

- G

Old 09-29-2006, 10:56 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

The engine braking is applied to whatever wheels are being driven, the 2 rear wheels if in 2WD or all wheels if in 4WD. This is certainly the way it is with the Grizzly and I think the King would be the same way as well.

One of my friends took care of the high speed handling quirk on his King Quad by replacing the front A-arms. You can read about it here...

Quick Reply: Grizz or KingQuad?