Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Lights!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2000, 09:43 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

As you can see from my signature, I have two ATVs. Both of these ATVs have two headlights and one tail light. I must say, this combination is barely sufficient. I mean, when people go riding ATVs at night, it is pitch black in the woods, being no light posts like there are in the streets. Plus, the trees block most of the moonlight on nights with a full moon. Personally, I think all ATVs should have three headlights in the front. Two regular headlights and one handlebar-mounted headlight on the front that you can swivel up and down. Not only would this be brighter and more flexible to where you need the light, but the light shines when you turn the handlebar, which is where the quad is going to be. As for the back, every quad should have two tail lights. Having one tail light in the back makes it visible for other riders, but two is obviously more effective. Plus, having two you get a better picture of exactly where the quad in front of you is. Maybe this is all just me, but I drive in the woods at night like crazy, especially since it gest dark at around 4:40PM now. Anyone have any suggestions/comments about lights and what one could do to improve lighting? Please don't suggest buying a whole new quad that has three lights in front and two in the back. =P

Old 12-06-2000, 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

have you checked out yamahas web site and there accesories. i think you can add PIAA lights they are much brighter and stronger

Old 12-07-2000, 04:45 AM
Pro Rider

My neighbor and I fabricated a handlebar mount light for Ranchers. We used a 55w halogen driving light. It lights up the trail like daytime and was relatively inexpensive. It also doesn't look tacky and it is easily removable.
Highlifter also sells a kit I believe, so thats an option too.

Old 12-07-2000, 05:13 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

I took a look at the Highlifter lights and I think I am going to the dual handlebar-mounted 55W light kit. Does anyone know how many watts a 400cc engine (Yamaha Kodiak) or a 330cc engine (Honda Rancher 4x4) can handle? Because I am really interested in putting on a strobe light on each ATV along with more headlights so people who ride with me get a better sense of where I am in the dark. Thanks!

Old 12-08-2000, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

If I remember right, they put out about 125 watts, which equates to about 10 amps at 12 volts. You can find out for sure in the propaganda that all of the manufacturers publish. Some of the bigger utes (Sportsman 500, Grizzly etc.. put out more because they have aux plugs near the dash.

Old 12-11-2000, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

VMAX12:
Hey, do you happen to know if PIAA makes lights for atv's? After going through several sets of various lights on my old Chevy pickup, I finally broke down and bought 4 PIAA lights. They were by far the best light I had ever owned. Stronger, tougher than hell, and by far brighter than anything I'd seen. If they made an atv light, I'm sure it would be just as good as their bigger brothers. Problem with them was they drew too much power. A buddy of mine actually bought them for his Toyota for nearly $800 or so. By the time he hooked them up and actually tried using them, with all four lights on, they killed his truck. He got mad, sold them to me for $200 for the set, then I ended up rolling my truck two years later. Believe it or not, but after rolling 8 times end-over-end, two of my 4 PIAA lights were still on, even with the housing completely crushed flat, and no lens's at all. If that ain't tough, I don't know what is.

Just curious if they make a smaller version that could be powered off of a normal atv unit. Thanks for the help!

Mike

Old 12-11-2000, 02:42 AM
Trailblazer

cowboy,

I think PIAA does make lights for ATVs. But at the PIAA web site (Http://www.piaa.com/), I cannot find any information about the company making lights for ATVs. Either way, I think I am going to buy the dual handlebar Daylight Kit from High Lifter at Http://www.highlifter.com/.

Old 12-11-2000, 02:46 AM
Trailblazer

Hi,

Okay, I decided on exactly what I am going to get. First, I am going to buy the Candlepower XB3 Xenon bulbs for my Kodiak's current headlights. The bulbs cost $15 each, and are 55 watts per bulb. I am also going to buy the Highlifter Daylight Dual light Kit for $140. Each bulb is 55 watts and they mount in front of both grips on the handlebar. If the ATV can handle any more power (I doubt it, though), I will buy two of those rack-mounted removable spotlights for around $60 each that put out 60 watts. I want to mount these two spotlights on the front rack. How cool would it be to have six headlights? =)

Old 12-11-2000, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I like those H.L. daylight kits too. Should be fairly efficient, I would think. That would be pretty cool to have 6 headlights up front! I wonder though if the machine could generate enough power to handle that many? I definately need some reverse lights on my 'Cat. I'll probably have to do that before I add anymore up front.

Mike

Old 12-11-2000, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Hi,

cowboy, what are reverse lights for? Do you mean tail lights?

Quick Reply: Lights!!!