Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Getting a 4x4 atv, which brand and kind

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting a 4x4 atv, which brand and kind

Originally posted by: Spinner018
how often to belts need to be changed on automatics? do they seem to have quite abit of maintainence and problems?
Arctic Cat expects abotu 10,000 miles out of a belt. zero maintenance. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-23-2006, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

I'd be careful about magazine ratings, Polaris spends a LOT of advertising dollars in most of them and I'm sure if they got constantly bad reviews they'd pull back some of that money.

IMO it mostly boils down to the type of use you will be using your ATV for.

IF you're mostly using it for utility purposes, ie. farm work, hauling, towing etc.......the SP is probably a good choice although Qu4d magazine warns there could be big transmission problems in the near future. For utilty use I'd probably go with A/C, don't seem to read about a LOT of issues with them.

For recreational uses, mostly trial riding, hill climbing etc. then the Outlander would probably be a good option, you get the sporty performance along with some utility uses. The Outlander is a good 100lbs lighter then A/C or Polaris which helps with it's overall performance not to mention the Rotax v-twin 800.

I wouldn't over look the Suzuki KQ or the Yamaha Grizzly, both seem like good choices and are all around solid machines but you won't find a v-twin in either. EFI is only available on the new Grizzly.

For strictly trail/rec uses the Rincon isn't a bad option, it lacks true 4WD, engine braking and a low gear but handles great and is VERY plush, similar to the SP from what I've read. Again, you won't get EFI on a used one.

Since you live in MN, and I'm sure V2 can attest to this, UPGRADE your tires. You get that early spring slop from the melting snow which means LOTS of mud.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever purchase you make. BTW, there are still some bargains to be found on leftover 06's IF you really shop around, might be worth looking into.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

My dads 97 SP with 6000k is still patiently waiting for its tranny failure. The whole trick is to never attempt shift until the motor is at idle rpm.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

My dads 97 SP with 6000k is still patiently waiting for its tranny failure. >>>>>>

It's also not an SP800.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Sorry I have seen Sportsman 335,400,450,500,600,700 and I swear it looks like Polaris uses one chassy and just does a engine swap.

Old 10-23-2006, 02:16 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i wont be buying a huge 800 atv. mostly looking at a 500 or so. i went to the dealer today and sat on the new grizz 700 and 660. those machines feel huge compared to the foremans and such

i think i narrowed it down to a Sportman 500, grizzley 660, and the A/C, not sure what size cat though.

are the grizzleys from like 01 and up the same pretty much?

Cat only buy 04 and newer?

and with polaris, should i look for like 2002 and newer?

Old 10-23-2006, 07:04 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I have seen Sportsman 335,400,450,500,600,700 and I swear it looks like Polaris uses one chassy and just does a engine swap>>>>>>>

They probably do but the 400 doesn't have the same transmission as an 800. Guess I should have clarified that, Quad mag. reported a possible problem on the SP800 transmission with SOME mechanics saying they should be recalled. This guy isn't looking for an 800 so it's a moot point.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Raidermikes post was a good one. Im glad we can come to a happy medium [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] AC=Utility and Can-Am=Trails Minnesota=New Tires!

Old 10-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

hey how do you like your swamp lites, i was looking at those tires and the Kenda Executioners and the Swamp Witch tires.

im going to look for a Grizzler or a Sportsman 500. just need to keep an eye out.

looking to spend no more than $5000. what year grizzleys should i look for and which to avoid, same goes for the sportsmans.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just so you know I LOVE my new Grizzly and I am in MN... I went and researched all the 4x4's and the new Grizzly 700 FI seem to be the best choice. VERY COMFY!!! Great suspension and seat as well as 2x4, 4x4 and 4x4 with real push button diff lock. Felt very stable at high speed even on the pavement where the other 4x4 I was with would hit bumps and swerve all over. The Electric power steering is also very nice; I didnt think it was there until I let my friend ride mine and I got on his Honda and had to muscle the bars around and really hold on for the bump ride and bars trying to rip from my hands. I have bigger rims (14") and 27" ITP XTR's comming so I can play in some nasty stuff. Although the stock tires never even skipped a beat where I though I might even need to lock the front diff in. Very nice wheeler all around, maybe not the fastest but it will climb rocks and forge mud as well or better then a lot of the rest and you wont hurt too bad the next day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Getting a 4x4 atv, which brand and kind