Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Need help deciding which quad to buy... Scrambler or KFX700?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help deciding which quad to buy... Scrambler or KFX700?

First things first... thank you in you advance for your opinions.

Ok, here's the deal. I have an '04 Polaris Trailblazer and I wan't to get a bigger bike. My friend has an '05 Scrambler 4X4. I really like it, but I kind of want something a little more sporty. (plus I want to stomp him) That brings me to the KFX700. They are both automatics, which is what I want because I'm afraid that I will kill myself learning how to shift.

Most of the riding we do is deep trail riding, usually thorugh a lot of mudd.
The 4X4 would be good for that. But I'm still leaning towards the more sporty KFX. But my friends think it's too much bike for me. I'm 5'10" 145lbs. Generally I'm pretty level headed and don't do crazy things though.

I can't decide! So here's where you come in. What do you think, which way should I go?? Give me lots of opinions!!

Old 10-23-2006, 10:01 PM
Pro Rider

going for a trailblazer up to a KFX 700 would be a huge jump, I have never been on a KFX 700 but my friend said that they are monsters. If you do alot of mud riding then you will not be happy with a 700 yeah you will be able to smoke him everwhere else but whats the point if you do alot of mudding like you said. I personally was going to get a scrambler also, I was very close to buying one until i really thought about it. I ride alot of sand and whoops and and that kinda thing so the scrambler wasn't going to be my best choice. If you would ride alot of other stuff I would say TEST ride a 700 1st and then think about getting one, but if you do alot of mud then get the scrambler you will be alot happier. If you want to beat him just buy some mods and put them on the scrambler and don't tell your friend [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-24-2006, 06:48 AM
Pro Rider

I sold my Scrammy 400 2-stroke and bought my KFX 700, best decision I ever made (ATV wise) I really like the KFX over the Scrammy because it is faster, handles better and is much more reliable. My Scrammy I was always working on. I know a lot of people have no problems with the Polaris reliability, but mine was not that great. I miss the 4x4 once in a great while, but not to often.

Old 10-24-2006, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Sure sport quads are really fun and fast and handle good...but once you get that pig stuck in the mud...which you will...you ill be wishing on a 4by4 lol. The 700 is heavier than my ds...when my ds gets stuck oohhh boy is it hard to get out. If you mainly trail ride with mud conditions i would get the polaris....if its not so muddy and just trails kfx all the way.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can take any sport quad the same places your Trailblazer was able to go. The 700 is an absolute pig to get unstuck though, if you go this route buy a winch for it before you do any serious mudding. Personally, as long as you are happy with where your current ride can go, I would buy a 400 class sport quad. You can learn the basics of clutch usage in a few hours, it really isn't that hard. The finer points you will pick up over time but 4 stroke engines generally aren't as finicky or need as much clutching as the 2 strokes do. Don't sell yourself short on the learning to shift thing. If you can pull a brake lever you can pull a clutch lever. There isn't a ute out there Scrammies included) that can touch a 400 class+ sport quad for handling.

Old 10-24-2006, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

Take a look at the Outlander 650, every bit as powerful as a KFX with 4WD. Take a look at my pix, you can remove the racks and make them look fairly sporty. I'm going to change out my tires.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

every bit as powerful? im not trying to bash you or anything...but that kfx700 would spank the 650 in a drag and handling.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

I am not to sure about that dunerider. I have not seen to many fast v-forces. The ones I have seen were built and modded to the hilt. I know my 800 Outy blows them off like there not even there. The v-force is kinda worthless in the sand. Its a great motor but its handycapped by weight and lack of 4wd to get it moving in the loose stuff. I have beat allot of the v-forces at the dunes with my old bolt on prairie 700. The outlander 650 has the same motor as the 800, just a little less bore same stroke. Not that sand or the loose terain is an issue for this person, I don't know. I would still be surprised if an Outy 650 would not be able to give a v-force a good close run, no matter what the surface.

I think the Renegade is the one to buy in the sport 4x4 segment, if its not to far out of twistedcreations required price range. I think I would look at the wolverine 450 before I would go with a scrambler. Also there is a Brute Force 650 SRA that offers allot a bang for the buck. A few bolt on modds on the BF650 SRA and it will run with the scrambler 500 all day long.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great stuff guy's... thanks for the opinions!!
I like the Renegade idea, but it's 50% more expensive than either quad... If I did that my wife would leave me and she would end up with the quad (along with everything else lol) then where would I be??

Maybe I should look for a 400 manual... I was looking at the Z400... seems like a good ride.

Old 10-24-2006, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of riding are you going to be doing. Like what type of terain. The sport quads are fun but limited to what you can do, and because of those limitations the resale on sport quads is noticably weeker than say a sport ute that can be used as both recreational trail machine and also appeals to the outdoors croud as they make good hunting rigs. Here is another thing that I think hurts sport quads in the resale department, you generally only see the yonger croud riding them and when it comes time to sell them they generally need those special 69 and 89 doolar financing terms that takes a lifetime to pay off. Where a 4x4 has a broader appeal and can sell allot easier because there are allot of people that the sport utes appeal to that can afford to buy a nice used machine without calling the bank first if you know what I mean. Just offering a little food for thought. I know I generally have lost allot more money on the sport quads over the years then the 4x4 quads and I also never seem to have near the problem selling the 4x4s like I have with the pure sport quads.

Oh the Z400 can be beat by a lot of the machines we were talking about. The renegade would eat it for breakfast and then have the Scrambler for lunch. LOL

Quick Reply: Need help deciding which quad to buy... Scrambler or KFX700?