Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

Automatic transmissions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automatic transmissions?

Hi, im new here. Im not new to atvs but I dont know anything much about automatics. In your opinion who makes the toughest automatic trans. Im interested in buying one for hunting,pleasure riding,light mud and water,and plowing food plots. Thanks for your responce.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote would be for the Honda Rubicon. Not the sportiest ATV out there but would fit your needs well. Expensive though.

Jaybee

Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Two of the Hondas (Rancher AT and Rubicon) use a hydrodynamic transmission and the Rincon uses one much like out of a car. All the rest of the manufacturers are belt drives.

Personally, I don't like any of them, and prefer to stick with a good old foot shifter! This limits my choice of models that I have to select from, but that's just fine with me..........

Old 12-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

You can't go wrong with the Honda Rubicon's transmission. It even offers manual control. It's hard for even the die-hard auto-clutch riders to knock it because there really isn't anything it can't do.

If you do end up looking at belt-drive automatics (which I think are just fine too), Yamaha makes one of the best.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:07 PM
Pro Rider

The Rincon is the only true automatic. It has a torque converter and is a 3 speed. Just like the old turbo 350 from GM. Alot of people don't like this trans though. But I honestly believe these are people who have never ridden a Rincon. I hear complaints of no low gear. But in first gear I can nail it and hit the back rack sitting on the gas tank. So that seems to me low enough. The trans works just like a cars. It can be shifted manually or in full auto and when your cruising around 30 and nail the gas it kicks down to second for a passing gear. I personally love the way it works and have NO complaints about it.

Old 12-13-2006, 09:09 PM
Trailblazer

I prefer the yamaha trans or the polaris transmission. Both are very tough and can handle literally almost anything terrain and weight you put them up against..............oh yeah, honda is good too[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Pro Rider

If your gonna go with a belt, then Yamaha seems to be the best. But really with todays ATVs I honestly don't think there is a clear winner as far as realiabilty goes. All the major manufactors have stepped up their programs.

Trending Topics

Old 12-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds like you need a Rubicon.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

As said, any auto is going to be fine, at least newer models. You can get thousands of miles from a belt in newer atvs. Its a cheap fix also. You should just ride a few,and see what you like. I wouldnt say any is better than the next, belt or not

Old 12-18-2006, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

the difference between yamaha and most of the other autos out there is this:the yamaha CVT (constant velocity transmission)Has no gears ,the ratios are somewhat infinite,you cant wind it out becuase there is nothing to wind out.Theres no slack time like with the 3 or 4 speed autos.You just push the throttle and go.However it all depends on what you want.I just bought a 06 kodiak 450 4x4 shift on the fly,high lo range and differential lock,instrument panel. This thing will go anywhere i have the ***** to go.Its pretty fast with a top speed of around 60 or so.fully independent suspension.
Ok so maybe i'm a little bias lol.There are alot of choices. try a few and see what you like best

Quick Reply: Automatic transmissions?