Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

WHAT WOULD YOU BUY IN THIS SITUATION?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2000, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lovinhonda,

I've got a stock machine, that WILL dare to go ANYWHERE the Ruby will. I'm just a few miles north of you. Lets meet up somewhere one of these days, and give 'em a try. We can post the results back here. Might be fun.

Dave

Old 12-19-2000, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

01Grizzly- Well sence we don't have any yamaha shops around us except way south of us, I can not test between the two. So thats why I think the RUBICON is the most sportest atv out there but you probibly right, the Grizz might just be the most sportest utitly quad out there but I I might never know until i see one go.

IndyDave- It does sound like alote of fun. What about this spring when it warms up? I know a place not to far from where I live thats realy fun to ride. But you will haft to remind me this spring because i'll forget. Hey by then i'll have my lisence, cool.

Old 12-20-2000, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

other than the rubicon having a few more c.c.`s what makes it so much better than the expedition ? thats a very interesting comment..id take disc brakes and real 4 wheel drive anyday

Old 12-21-2000, 11:00 AM
Pro Rider

If it is solid mechanically, I would go with the Xpedition. They are a well built machine. Don't worry about the 4wd system. If you change the hub fluid twice a year (takes 15 minutes and about 1/4 cup of fluid) you should have no problems. 90% of the hub problems I hear about, the owner couldn't remember if, let alone when the fluid was last changed. Better brakes and improved steering bushing can be done for under $200 by anyone with average mechanical ability, and aftermarket ones will really last.

If money was no object, I guess I would go Rubicon (of the 2 choices) beacuse when you go new you don't have to worry about a previous owner leaving you with a 'surprise'.
Then again, if I was going new, and money was not the concern, I would go with the SP500HO and get the KING of utility ATVs.
The Rubicon is the sportiest utility ATV HONDA has made, but there is a pretty good list of more sporty ones out there...Sportsman...Grizzly...Xplorer...Scrambler (some call them 'utility' because of the 4wd).

Old 12-21-2000, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

bill,
correct me if i'm wrong, the polaris 4wd system only engages the front diff when the rear tires spin 20% faster than the front tires; therefore, when in awd and on dry, level ground the front diff isn't actually pulling-its merely waiting for the rear tires to slip. when my arctic cat's manual lever is fully forward i have four wheel drive (while all four have ground contact) and not THREE like diehard polaris fans claim. the polaris system is somewhat similar to a limited slip diff because it allows for easier and tighter turns. if it did have true, full-time 4wd (while the switch is in the awd position), it would take an act of congress to turn on dry, level ground. please do not take this as criticism on the polaris for i have nothing against polaris. it is just like arctic cat, a predominantly american made atv competing with a host of foreign named atvs for superiority. my second choice in atv's was a polaris then a kawasaki, yamaha, honda, and suzuki.

Old 12-25-2000, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Rubicon sportiest Utility......UMMMMMM NO!!! From what I heard and seen on the trails, the Rubicon is the least sport oriented big bore quad out there. Havent you ever heard of the Xplorer 400? Grizzly? Sportsman H.O.? All three of these have selectable 4 wheel drive! You want sporty, put one of thede bad boys in 2WD.
Polaris reliability? The Xpedition is probably the most reliable machine they make. Don't listen to the "Polaris is trash" BS. I love the 4WD on my Polaris.
On the other hand, if you have the money, go for the ruby. You have full time 4WD a claimed 10 inch ground clearance. Ride em both.

Old 12-26-2000, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

Whether or not the 4-wheel drive system is selectable does not determine a machine's "sportability"! To me it's more of how aggressive you can ride the bike, not whether you can switch the 4-wheel drive system on or off. Handling is part of sportability, but so is throttle-response, and ergonomics. And there's a lot of suspension issues that can overrule the 4-wheel drive system, when it comes to evaluating a machine's sportability.

Old 12-27-2000, 03:28 AM
Trailblazer

I am sick of this 3 wheel drive crap. My ruby has a front dif that is so far advanced compared to other atvs it is a non issue. Just spinning all fours is not always the best thing in tricky climbing. It can throw you off a steep trail. I can see where it would be better in mud, but we aint got much mud in the high desert. The front end grabs at the best foot hold always. The Ruby's brakes? Yea sealed three times while the discs are drenched on other bikes. Hey I got two Polaris bikes. 500 scrambler, 300 Express, They are a bunch of fun, But come on 36 zerks? Ruby 0. I was riding it today and back chain fell off. I think it was the dealer's fault just came out of the shop. Hey I like Polaris, and I am thinking real hard about getting another scrambler or a Kaw 650, but don't bad mouth the Ruby. It is an awesome machine. Price? all of the big bikes are so close in price I do not see it as an issue. One trip to the shop can even the price out in a N.Y. MIN. This is an expensive sport anyway, and a Quality machine is important. Experience, I have not buried the Ruby in mud. Everything else it has done perfectly. The thing is to pretty to bury in mud. Forgot, brakes--with engine braking on the Ruby you almost don't need brakes. If the brakes go on my scrambler you are going to be in deep S--t. In summary, buy what you like. A Ruby is not a Raptor. If you need to go 80 mph, a Raptor is your best option.

Old 12-27-2000, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

You find your F350 power sides on gravel roads better in 2wd than if it is in 4wd?

Old 12-27-2000, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TEXASCAT,
I to am very tired of talking about how an AWD system works.I could write a 300 pg book on it.I'll say this,NO quad,whether it be a limited slip,AP diff,or WHATEVER type front differantial,has ever out done me in the serious mud.I've had some ATVs do JUST AS WELL,but I've never been outdone.If you guys like your quads,thats what counts the most.I'll ride with anyone of you's and we'll have a great time too,
Bill

Quick Reply: WHAT WOULD YOU BUY IN THIS SITUATION?