Buying an ATV Questions and suggestions about what to buy, financing, insurance, etc.

What atv should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 11:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What atv should I buy

This is my first time using a forum. Soon it will also be my first time buying a atv. To be honest I have no idea what to get. I am looking for a machine to big game hunt, fish, plow snow and trail ride. I realize a honda is probably the most reliable bike on the market. It is also the most expensive. I have been considering a suzuki king quad 450. After doing some research I am starting to realize that not a lot of people purchase suzuki. This makes me wonder why. The only brand I have ruled out is polaris. There is just too many negative reviews about their products. I don't want to spend any more than I have to, but I want a good reliable machine. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

are you looking to buy brand new??? how much are you willing to spend?

Old 02-11-2007, 01:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I, like you, are looking for a new bike around 4500$. Two actually.
I can go, right now, to a dealer and pick up 2 Honda Ranchers TRX350FE for $4323 each.
I posted this on another thread and I am glad I did because I've received some interesting responses.
I also have been researching the hell out of these machines, webcrawling and phoning dealers.
An interesting post on another thread here pointed me in the right direction for research regarding Auto, Brakes, diff lock, etc... check out ppope's responses to this thread. This made rethink the Honda.
http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/511312.cfm

I called around locally for the 06 350 Kawa Prairie 4x4 and the best offer was $5098 with an installed Warn Winch, a special from Kawa. This is only around $300 less than a 2007, disappointing to say the least.
What I am finding is that ppope had pretty much summarized what to look for in the different machines in his last post.
Cool search tool here: http://www.getamotorcycle.com/index.asp
Not comprehensive, but not bad... also finding generic brand postings with msrp listings for most all 2006 and 2007 models on most dealers websites, which sucks big time.

The other big thing, and the reason why I was going with Honda, is reliability.

Good luck and keep us informed on where you are leaning with your purchase.

Old 02-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Trailblazer

you should get a king quad 700 FI

Old 02-11-2007, 02:46 PM
DS2
Range Rover

Welcome! It sounds like you are headed in the right direction by determining what type of riding you will do. I would highly recommend test riding any machines which you're considering along with checking out the features (locking diff., transmission, seperate front and rear brake controls, engine braking, etc.). Everyone's likes/requirements are different. Also, some people just don't care for a certain manufacturer for whatever reason...like me for instance, I would never buy a Honda. Given one for free, I would realistically sell it, but would love nothing more than to use it for target practice. I have no good reason(s) to support my opinion as they are great machines....they're just not for me, however, I would never say don't buy one. Another example; my brother-in-law will only buy Polaris. He's had 3 virtually trouble free machines over the last 7+ years. My wife and I went to the dealer to test ride the Yamaha 350, 400 & 450. After she was done, my friend (Yami manager) told her to hop on the 700 because the ONLY thing that mattered to my wife was steering lightness. When she came back I could see the grin under her helmut, and because it was Camo too (her preference) she ran to pay for it (imagine O.J. Simpson running through the airline terminal in the old Hertz {?} commercial). Enjoy shopping around and good luck with your decision!

Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

True, Suzuki isn't as big as Yamaha or Honda, but they do make quality products that last. I have an '85 Zuk in my garage right now, lol. If you are considering the 450 KQ but like Honda, have you looked into the '07 420 Ranchers? They don't offer as many bells and whistles, but they are quite a bit cheaper than the KQ also.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:46 PM
Trailblazer

look at the bombardier/can-am outlander they are great atv magazine vote the 650 atv of the year in 2006

Old 02-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Range Rover

Almost any ATV you buy now days will be good.

Check out the specs on all the different ATV's your thinking about and pick what features you would like most.

- Arctitc Cats have best fuel capacity and ground clearence, have diff lock and come in auto or manual transmission. They also weigh more than everything but polaris/ wich is good for plowing, but might not feel as nimble as a lighter quads when trail riding. they have also had good reports of being reliable. they also have the biggest racks I've seen and wish I had those racks on my Yamaha Grizzly.

- Honda could be called the most reliable ATV ever in general. They don't usually have as good of ground clearence, but have a reliable manual transmission. and are known for hardly any maintainance. they also don't have diff lock and are in 4wheel drive all the time. they handle pretty good for a utility quad.

- CanAm has the most power, good ground clearence, doesn't have diff lock, but transfers power to the wheel with traction after slipping some. I think they are auto trans only, but you should check to make sure.

-Suzuki has medium ground clearence, good engines, diff lock, and are considered a good all around quad, but not excelling in any one catigory

- Yamaha's are disliked around my area it seems, but I own one as my first quad and couldn't be happier. they have close to the best ground clearence and have one of the longest lasting auto transmissions on the market. they are also good at everything, but don't excell in one area. They also have the best engine braking out of other quads.

Some 400-500 classes offer fuel injection. I'm not sure that it is better than carborated, but FI does get better gas mileage.

I was use to riding manual transmission and can definately tell a difference in the auto that i now own. the auto takes a little rev before it engages and the manuals engage instantly, but the autos act the same once they engage (without having to shift of corse) for slow technical climbing I would rather have a manual.

like I said earlier, every brand of quad is good now days. check them all out in person, because pictures don't do them justice. Even a test drive in a parking lot can help a lot.
Good luck on your searching

Old 02-11-2007, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider

honda makes a great reliable machine basically because of their relatively simple yet effective design. they pull good and handle pretty well on flatter terrain but you get in rougher terrain and well they don't have the most effective rear suspension. an entry level guy like yourself i would say go with around 400 or 450. alot of people will try to talk you into a big bore and well the reality is that it isn't for everyone, ESPECIALLY A NEW GUY!!!!!! you can't go wrong with arctic cat, suzuki, honda, kawi, yamaha or brp. i ride cats cause i love their huge racks their awesome ground clearance 2 inch receiver hitch pushing and pulling power and the way they tackle the rough terrain makes it fun and enjoyable. i have also had excellent luck with them but it isn't for everyone. someone else might like the nimbleness of say a 500 suzuki vinson. test drive anything and everything you can first before dropping 5 K on a new machine to find out what you like and what fits your physical size and checkbook.

Old 02-12-2007, 09:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

looking to buy new. As for the cost, I am willing to pay enough to get the right machine. What I mean by that is I don't want to cheap out and by junk, but I don't want to waist my money on extras I don't need.